The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Until a few minutes " Fix you " from Coldplay's newest live album, downloadable version.

Until a few minutes " Fix you " from Coldplay's newest live album, downloadable version.

I've never got into Coldplay. I think it's decent music, but it doesn't do anything for me. Yet another example of good music which I personally don't like.

For me, it's the first time I'm ever listening to something by them.

God, dte, re: a much earlier discussion--I was rocking along home today listening to the Bob & Tom channel, and they played this song:

Shot to the Heart

I'm goin 'wow, wtf who IS that?? I dimly remember it and it's pretty cool.'

Imagine my mortification when I realized it was bon jovi. :p I had to come home and listen to my Who albums to cleanse myself.

God, dte, re: a much earlier discussion--I was rocking along home today listening to the Bob & Tom channel, and they played this song:

Shot to the Heart

I'm goin 'wow, wtf who IS that?? I dimly remember it and it's pretty cool.'

Imagine my mortification when I realized it was bon jovi. :p

Ouch!

I had to come home and listen to my Who albums to cleanse myself.

You are forgiven.

(But if it had been Britney, I fear nothing short of "21st century schizoid man" could help you)

Ouch!
You are forgiven.

(But if it had been Britney, I fear nothing short of "21st century schizoid man" could help you)

The only reference that brings to mind is

20th Century Man by the Kinks, I'm afraid. Feel free to enlighten me.

Brittany is a spaniel, isn't it?

The only reference that brings to mind is

20th Century Man by the Kinks, I'm afraid. Feel free to enlighten me.
It's King Crimson. The first track on their 1969 debut album "In the court of the crimson king". One might argue this is the start of the progtressive rock era. At the very least its one of the prog rock classics.

Here it is:
King Crimson: 21st century schizoid man

Brittany is a spaniel, isn't it?
For once I didn't commit a typo. It's Britney Spears.

It's King Crimson. The first track on their 1969 debut album "In the court of the crimson king". One might argue this is the start of the progtressive rock era. At the very least its one of the prog rock classics.

Here it is:
King Crimson: 21st century schizoid man
I may be twisted, but I actually liked that. Thanks--I've actually heard King Crimson before, but it was in circumstances where my brain was not engaged.

For once I didn't commit a typo. It's Britney Spears.
Yes. I was trying to commit a joke. ;)

I may be twisted, but I actually liked that. Thanks--I've actually heard King Crimson before, but it was in circumstances where my brain was not engaged.
It's one of my favourite bands! They still release records now and then. "The power to believe", their latest, was released in 2003. And unlike many other old bands, they're still verye creative. IMO.

Acoording to Wikipedia, they played a few concerts in 2008, with new arrangements of older songs. I hope a new studio album is on the way.

Yes. I was trying to commit a joke. ;)

Oops! Didn't get that. Stupid norwegian!

More interesting stuff, thank you.

You´re welcome!!

Speaking of King Crimson, I´ve just recently discovered a finnish band called
Höyry-Kone and their Huono Parturi relase from 1997. They´re bit influenced by KC, plus they´re rocking cellos, violins and operatic vocals.
Lots of great, and often roflworthy, moments.

Karhunkaato

The album opener is mindmeltingly misleading:
Beata Viscera

Funny guys.

Speaking of opera in prog, heh, I´m also having quite some fun with Koenji Hyakkei and their Angherr Shisspa album from 2005.
A rather extravagant effort from Japan, filled with INCREDIBLY tight musicianship
and galore of tonal adventures. Sorta like Magma on crack.

Angherr Shisspa

Rattims Friezz

Aaaand, I realized that I forgot to include Dälek on list of my favourite hip hop things, so yeah, Absence (2005) by Dälek quite rulez.
Industrial hip hop ftw, and all that.

Distorted Prose

Eyes to Form Shadows

Sorry for the clusterfuck :).

Last edited:
Mrs. dte would be so disappointed in you, magerette.

Since there were a handful of folks that liked Scarlet Youth, thought I'd share this bit of info I got from them. Mostly, the opportunity to get demos is what I'm looking to spread.

@DeepO- that's some seriously dense stuff. Didn't really do it for me, but certainly worth the listen.

Cool. Takes me back to My Bloody Valentine, Lush, and Cocteau Twins.

What hey? Where in the hell have you been, Thrasher? See that title under the avatar? Let us gaze!

Oh, yeah, all that plus Curve, Slowdive, and Ride.

I'm getting more in the mood for this stuff again, after listening through my Floyd collection since untold years.

Passing of Rick Wright oddly threw me into a loop of retro music.

Last edited:
It's not really a retro scene. Sure, the heyday is almost 2 decades gone, but there's quite a few really good bands running around these days playing shoegaze/dreampop and Sarah sound stuff. How about a few of my faves:
Orange Yellow Red
Tears Run Rings
Daysleepers
Ether Aura (sadly disbanded)
Snow in Mexico
Airiel
Autumn's Grey Solace
Dreamtiger
Malory
Tearwave (sadly disbanded)

You can find every one of those on MySpace.

Sad about Ether Aura--I liked them.
AFA mrs dte--she'll have to hold her own end up. If she promises to handle bon jovi, I won't ask her to have a thing for Keith Richards. Fair? (I'm not even sure he has a thing, at this point.)

Picked up the newly released Gary Burton Quartet Revisited ... great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom