King's Bounty: The Legend Thread

GG, you're the first person I've ever heard of having 2 sound cards in your rig. Do you mind if I ask "why"?

I had given the reason. It is very convenient, if I am playing a game and somebody calls me by skype, I will just put on my headset which is connected to the second soundcard and get the call. Instead of having to disconnect my gaming speakers and connect the headset instead from the back of my computer no less. If my girlfriend wants to listen to music and I want to game I can put on the headset and let her use the speakers for her music. I can think of an endless amount of reasons! I am surprised not more people have 2 soundcards.

"I am surprised not more people have 2 soundcards."

Sounds like something that requires the ability to multi task. I think most of us posters here are male, hence the inability to multi task. So 2 soundcards would be no use to us. :p

I had given the reason. It is very convenient, if I am playing a game and somebody calls me by skype, I will just put on my headset which is connected to the second soundcard and get the call. Instead of having to disconnect my gaming speakers and connect the headset instead from the back of my computer no less. If my girlfriend wants to listen to music and I want to game I can put on the headset and let her use the speakers for her music. I can think of an endless amount of reasons! I am surprised not more people have 2 soundcards.

Sorry, I guess I should have read your post a little more thoroughly. What exactly is 'skype'? I must admit I have never heard of it.

Sorry, I guess I should have read your post a little more thoroughly. What exactly is 'skype'? I must admit I have never heard of it.
head to skype.com - it is a 'phone over internet' solution ... I used it when we were moving because cell reception where we were in Massachusetts was crap ...

Either way played for a little bit and it really reminds me of HOMM, it just makes me sad that 3DO is no more when I am playing it. Having fun so far anyway.

Once again HoMM should remind of KB and not the other way around. HoMM is the clone.

Still, with its RPG elements, although almost nothing more than mailman quests, this goes beyond whatever version of the game is out there. This is reminding me of Puzzle Quest of all things.

GG, you're the first person I've ever heard of having 2 sound cards in your rig. Do you mind if I ask "why"?

Having them not work simultaneously is precisely the reason you don't see it. I've got my onboard as well as my Audigy but the onboard stays off because I've not connected speakers and I don't want programs to get confused or the OS to lock up.

That said, I'm not surprised its been improved with the OS's improving.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy and download that game apart from d2d and gamersgate ? In Europe it is supposed to come out in late november and Direct2drive does not allow europeans to buy that game and i had bad experience with gamersgate in the past.....

Does anyone know a different shop ?

Thanks in advance,
L.

I habe 2 soundcards in my PC, too. Well, technically.

One is the on-board Realtek chip, and the other one is my old Creative Live! Value card ... Which is disabled at the moment.

The on-board chip doesn't seem to support EAX, that's one of the reasons I installed the old Creative card, too.

Plus, it has a game port for my old Joystick.

Since I'm *always* using a headphone so far, I'm looking for a solution of having a cable that comes from *both* soundcards to my headphones, enabling me to listen to them, as I enable and disable them, respectively.
But so far i haven't found any cable that does this.

In an electronics shop, by the way, one told me that having 2 cards might or will cause a short circuit, which frightened me a bit.

THoroughly enjoyable stuff so far. For some reason I'm feeling vaguely guilty about leaving my wife as a frog for ages to get the double attack for my royal snakes. Plus I know I'd have left her if that Elf tart had better bonuses.

BTW - anyone not using royal snakes should consider them, the most powerful unit I've found so far, and enough places to buy them that you can really stock up your reserves (get reserves as well, awesomely powerful ability, particularly once you've got the sacrifice spell).

The on-board chip doesn't seem to support EAX, that's one of the reasons I installed the old Creative card, too.

Unless it is a really old onboard chip, it should have EAX 2.0 support since Creative made the specs of EAX 1.0 and 2.0 public. That's why just about all onboard sound chips from Realtek (and also ADI etc.) support EAX 2.0.
Newer EAX versions (like EAX Advanced HD and all that stuff) are Creative only though and are not supported by any 3rd party onboard chips.

In an electronics shop, by the way, one told me that having 2 cards might or will cause a short circuit, which frightened me a bit.

Next time you visit that shop, Al, you might want to ask them about the kind of stuff that they are smoking :biggrin: . I mean the only way to "cause a short circuit" would be if there'd somehow magically pop up a physical connection between the PCI slots in which the cards are installed.
Now I'm not exactly the most practical guy and lightyears away from a degree in electronics or anything like that but please... how the hell should a short circuit even be possible without a physical, electrical (read: a wire with current in it) bridge between PCI slots? And I would hope that the board manufacturers wouldn't include such bridges on their boards unless they are keen on a 100% RMA ratio ;) .

I habe 2 soundcards in my PC, too. Well, technically.

One is the on-board Realtek chip, and the other one is my old Creative Live! Value card ... Which is disabled at the moment.

Yeah same here, onboard chip +sound card. I guess if we count onboard chips, a lot of us actually have 2 soundcards. :)

BTW - anyone not using royal snakes should consider them, the most powerful unit I've found so far, and enough places to buy them that you can really stock up your reserves (get reserves as well, awesomely powerful ability, particularly once you've got the sacrifice spell).

TBH I've only used Royal Snakes a few times as I've had better meatshields (such as cheap Barbarian cannon fodder) or skipped them entirely for range attackers. Priests for example are vital for the swamp because of all the undead

I'm now well beyond the level of needing them.

Funny about the frog princess. Since I have no undead in my army I've not felt the need to keep my wife a zombie. Besides, I don't exactly want her to eat our children.

Next time you visit that shop, Al, you might want to ask them about the kind of stuff that they are smoking . I mean the only way to "cause a short circuit" would be if there'd somehow magically pop up a physical connection between the PCI slots in which the cards are installed.
Now I'm not exactly the most practical guy and lightyears away from a degree in electronics or anything like that but please... how the hell should a short circuit even be possible without a physical, electrical (read: a wire with current in it) bridge between PCI slots? And I would hope that the board manufacturers wouldn't include such bridges on their boards unless they are keen on a 100% RMA ratio

LOL, I was going to post the same think, what was the guy in the store smoking indeed!

As I'm waking up I just realized I had a dream about this game last night.

Of all things I dreamed that King's Bounty had a Toolset come with like NWN's. Since it has no Multiplayer I started to realize I could hack it so that it could read input from its second controller on the console (?) and both could read and write to the same ini (sort of like what was done in Fallout 2 a number of years back to get it to simulate MP). It wouldn't have been true MP as the second player would technically be manually controlling the main character's sidekick.

Nice: In the "records" screen (a kind of top list of several characters), they also display the formula for computing the redords in the lower left edge of the screen ... Although I must say that I didn't quite understand it, without examples ...

It also gives a glimpse of the available troops of other areas. There also seem the be Unicorns there, my favourite fantasy creature species ! ;)

The map screen gives one an idea of other lands to explore ...

I'll buy it as soon as I see a retail version of it here. :)

TBH I've only used Royal Snakes a few times as I've had better meatshields (such as cheap Barbarian cannon fodder) or skipped them entirely for range attackers. Priests for example are vital for the swamp because of all the undead

I'm now well beyond the level of needing them.

Funny about the frog princess. Since I have no undead in my army I've not felt the need to keep my wife a zombie. Besides, I don't exactly want her to eat our children.

I'm quite far in now, level 25 or so, and they're still one of my most powerful units compared to their leadership costs, at least with the double attack from my frog wife. Very high initiative & speed and no counterattack, makes them perfect for waiting in the first round until the enemy comes near then having their first round and second round attacks right next to each other on the largest enemy stacks to whittle them down to a manageable size without taking any losses.

I did spend a lot of the game just using the same units over and over, the sacrifice spell is great for that - have enormous reserves of some shitty unit with a high hit point to cost / leadership ratio then whenever one of your good and rarely available units is running low just replenish them from your cannon fodder.

My favorite unit by far is the shamans. Very versatile and durable, got them in my army since I saw them until the very last fight of the game.

I recommend a mod you can find in the official forum, lets you see some good numbers. I believe there's also a camera mod that lets you zoom farther and full rotate, but I might have dreamed that.

But yes, I agree this is the best game I've played in a long time.

I played the demo more now. I really love the game.

But imagine my sadness when it started to stutter and crashed with a blue screen of death! is anyone else having crashing problems?? the worst part of all is I didn't save for a long time, as I seldom save.

I also have another problem I am playing on the difficulty impossible, but it's still very easy so far?

Anyone else having these issues? help please! if none else experianced crashes with the demo.... I wounder what is wrong? if someone else did please let me know? and is it fixed in the full version?? I really want to buy this game! !

I played the demo more now. I really love the game.

Glad to hear you like it, I think it's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

I also have another problem I am playing on the difficulty impossible, but it's still very easy so far?

Trust me, the game gets a lot harder once you get further from the castle, the demo is only a tiny piece of the full game. I'm playing on normal difficulty, and I'm finding it to be an adequate challenge.

I'm not sure about the other problems you're having. The game(full version) has been rock solid for me so far.

Did you have any crashing problem with the demo? if you played through it.

I don't want to buy the full version and get the same kind of crashes, I will aslo try driver upgrades!

Me, I didn't have these crashing problems. (I played the demo, too.)

But I also have the newest available drivers in my system.

Do you remember the point it happened ? Maybe it was the sound ? Or was it the graphics ?

Back
Top Bottom