Gothic 2 Gothic 2 mod adds 200 hours of gameplay

Russian voice-overs with English subtitles - but I can sure deal with that. Russian and German installation instructions only right now but that should change soon.

English instructions on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/OZCjjnG483U

You need Gothic 2 Gold. The mod is an ISO... jeez, I haven't messed with one of those in eons.

In Windows 10 (at least on my PC), DEP is set to just run for essential Windows programs so his recommendation would actually turn DEP on for more programs.

I asked in the other thread but does anyone know how good the translation is?

The mod is an ISO… jeez, I haven't messed with one of those in eons.

In Windows 10
Win10 can open and work with iso format by itself, you don't need to install anything additionally.

Older Windows need an additional utility. There are plenty of free ones.
You can unpack iso file with winrar or 7zip, but if it's necessary to mount it as a drive you need something like daemon tools.

That's good to know. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get Gothic 2 itself to start up at all. I would like to make sure it can run at all before I stick a mod on it but it just starts and sits there in my Task Manager taking 0% CPU. I checked the GOG boards but it sounds like I need to mod it just to make it run at all!

I can't say I'm happy about having to get the mod via Torrent, either.

Why's that, @Zloth;? Legal and safe files can be exchanged via torrent all the same. But you probably know something I don't regarding that.

Can't remember what I did to make Gothic 2 run well, sorry. I played it a few months back with the D3D11 Renderer mod that increased the graphics and improved the engine. Ran rock solid and looked pretty! For an old game of course.

Looking forward to your impressions on the mod, though. If the translation is decent enough I'll jump in earlier than I thought I would. I don't mind a rough translation as long as it can be understood at a decent enough level.

Oh, they just have a nasty reputation. The distributed nature also makes it possible for people to tamper with the files. I don't know if that's actually a feasible thing to do, just theoretically possible.

OK - looks like I've got it going (and with lots and lots of scanning with BitDefender as I went along). Let's see how this goes.

P.S. If you check the install video on YouTube, there's also a link to a 1.3hr video showing how the game plays now. (He strongly recommends playing on hard. Yeah. No. I'm still traumatized by my attempt of the game on Normal way back in the day.)

P.P.S. My Gothic2 install now takes 10GB of space.

Oh, they just have a nasty reputation. The distributed nature also makes it possible for people to tamper with the files. I don't know if that's actually a feasible thing to do, just theoretically possible.

OK - looks like I've got it going (and with lots and lots of scanning with BitDefender as I went along). Let's see how this goes.

P.S. If you check the install video on YouTube, there's also a link to a 1.3hr video showing how the game plays now. (He strongly recommends playing on hard. Yeah. No. I'm still traumatized by my attempt of the game on Normal way back in the day.)

P.P.S. My Gothic2 install now takes 10GB of space.

Cool! Can you post some impressions when you get a chance? Have fun! :party:

I'm giving up. I got it in and got it working. Then I tried to get it working with 3D Vision and BOOM! My virus scanner went nuts and mangled the whole thing, deciding that one of the shaders created for 3D Vision was actually a virus and thus everything running with that was also infected. It deleted a bunch of my install so I would have to go through the whole thing again.

From what little I saw, though, the translation is so-so. It will rarely be right but most of the time it's close enough the figure out what they are saying. Unfortunately, that's not really good enough when the text is zipping on by as somebody speaks. You can't go back and re-read an odd turn of phrase in those cases. When it's a dialog; no problem.

There was some neat stuff in there like the ability to play in 1st person mode. But honestly, I think I would rather play something new than work so hard to play something old.

I'm giving up. I got it in and got it working. Then I tried to get it working with 3D Vision and BOOM! My virus scanner went nuts and mangled the whole thing, deciding that one of the shaders created for 3D Vision was actually a virus and thus everything running with that was also infected. It deleted a bunch of my install so I would have to go through the whole thing again.

From what little I saw, though, the translation is so-so. It will rarely be right but most of the time it's close enough the figure out what they are saying. Unfortunately, that's not really good enough when the text is zipping on by as somebody speaks. You can't go back and re-read an odd turn of phrase in those cases. When it's a dialog; no problem.

There was some neat stuff in there like the ability to play in 1st person mode. But honestly, I think I would rather play something new than work so hard to play something old.

Hmm. I think there is a mod you can get that stretches out the time the text is on screen so you have more time to read it.

But I hear you. I'll give it a go at some point in the future without 3D Vision. And I tend to mark the whole folder for installs like that as an exclusion in the virus protection software. A lot of those old mods come up as false positives and it's a giant pain the neck when they start automatically removing the files.

Well, thanks for the bit about the translation. Might just wait then. Thanks!

I always play with subtitles off anyways. The only time I turn them on is if I'm having a hard time hearing a particular phrase due to background sounds, etc.

Zloth, I recently reinstalled G2, and it worked fine for me even before adding the system pack, etc. I'm also using the GOG version on Windows 10 64bit.

I always play with subtitles off anyways. The only time I turn them on is if I'm having a hard time hearing a particular phrase due to background sounds, etc.

Zloth, I recently reinstalled G2, and it worked fine for me even before adding the system pack, etc. I'm also using the GOG version on Windows 10 64bit.

Yeah, I turn subtitles off, too. Obviously this mod would need them, at least until they get English voice acting. Interestingly, I did message one of the devs on YouTube about that and they said it's unlikely the translation gets any more improved from here. So I'd guess no English voice acting is likely, either.

I was using the Steam version of G2 recently, Windows 10, and didn't have any issues. I'd recommend the D3D11 renderer, too, if it's not already included in this mod project. Really made the game look great.

I've recently been playing the mod. It's really hard. For some reason my health continually drains. I thought I was poisoned at first, but I drank an antidote and nothing happened. If this is just a feature of the mod then it's a very frustrating one. Otherwise, the amount of detail packed into the mod is astounding.

Did anyone actually play through this? What's it like? It sounds too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom