|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

August 9th, 2018, 10:06
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
I've never been a big 4x fan, tried several games in the genre and the only game which i for some reason began to really love and get involved in was Gal. Civ 2. This seems even better than that (i've just started out). I have the DLC's apart from Intrigue, which i "must" get too. This is a quite an expensive game with all the DLC's i have to say, though i will hopefully get many fun hours from it.
Yes, I'm not a fan of Stardock and DLCs - and I'm especially not a fan of Wardell - but if the game is good…..

I have all the DLCs - and Intigue isn't essential as such. I just don't want to play games that aren't complete.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 11:41
I've been playing >observer_

It's interesting to say the least, though I have mixed feelings about it overall. The visuals and art direction are outstanding, and the plot is compelling enough, but there isn't much there in terms of gameplay. The closest comparison I can think of would be SOMA.

I'll post a more thorough impression after I've finished it which should be in the next day or so.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 11:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I've been playing >observer_

It's interesting to say the least, though I have mixed feelings about it overall. The visuals and art direction are outstanding, and the plot is compelling enough, but there isn't much there in terms of gameplay. The closest comparison I can think of would be SOMA.

I'll post a more thorough impression after I've finished it which should be in the next day or so.
SOMA was fantastic.

Let me know how it ultimately compares to that one after you're done!

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

August 9th, 2018, 11:56
I'm kind of surprised you think that highly of SOMA being that you're a big gameplay over story guy. I'm not sure if you would like > observer_ as much though. A lot of it would probably boil down to the setting/world, and I know that you're particularly fond of underwater environments.

Fwiw, I think most people would rate >observer_ higher than what I currently do. It has a 78 and 7.8 average from critics and users on Metacritic. There's no way I'm scoring it that high unless something spectacular happens between where I'm at now and the end.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 9th, 2018, 12:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'm kind of surprised you think that highly of SOMA being that you're a big gameplay over story guy. I'm not sure if you would like > observer_ as much though. A lot of it would probably boil down to the setting/world, and I know that you're particularly fond of underwater environments.
To me, exploration and immersion are a very big part of the gameplay experience - and I adored those aspects in SOMA. It was essentially System Shock without the combat to me.

But you're right that the setting is very important to me. I do like Cyberpunk - but not as much as "traditional" sci-fi horror settings.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

August 9th, 2018, 12:06
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
To me, exploration and immersion are a very big part of the gameplay experience.
Hard to believe that - you are not playing Subnautica.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 12:07
I really liked the look of SOMA for the ten minutes or do I played it, but sadly my pc was struggling with it a bit too much. It joins the list of games I'm going to play when I finally upgrade my pc (whenever that might happen…). The list includes Prey, Kingdom Come Deliverance, the new Deus Ex, the Witcher 3, and many others!

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 12:07
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Hard to believe that - you are not playing Subnautica.
Oh, I have been playing Subnautica. It's quite fantastic in VR, actually

But it's a little hard to accomplish where I'm living now - and I really want the full VR experience.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

August 9th, 2018, 12:12
Yea right. That "game" is a joke.
But then again, "immersion" in games, whatever it's supposed to be, is something I don't care about at all. No wonder I find a diving sim boring.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 9th, 2018, 12:13
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Yea right. That "game" is a joke.
But then again, "immersion" in games, whatever it's supposed to be, is something I don't care about at all. No wonder I find a diving sim boring.
Cool, we all like different things

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

August 9th, 2018, 12:18
If joxer had a slogan, it would probably be something like…

"Making redundant comments since 2009"

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 9th, 2018, 12:25
Yup, btw here's another. Although not written by me as I'm not playing mmo junk, the point is obvious:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/fortnite/fo…oard-and-mouse

Epic’s changing Fortnite matchmaking to save console players from keyboard and mouse

There are platform wars, then there are things that are just universally true. Like the fact that keyboard and mouse controls give you a competitive advantage in shooters. That’s just as true in Fortnite, and since the console versions officially support mice a predominantly controller-based segment of players occasionally getting smoked by mouse users. It’s a problem so pervasive that Epic is altering its approach to matchmaking.
“We're actually working on some matchmaking tech,” an Epic rep says “that'll pair you against folks based on your choice of peripherals.”
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 9th, 2018, 16:20
Soma was decent but i was a bit disappointed by the ending.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 20:16
Now that Midyear Mayhem is over on ESO, I am still playing overland PvP in Cyrodiil until at least the current eval period is over. Enjoying the social aspects of playing with friends over Teamspeak, so I may stick with it longer, and try some other PvP builds. The performance problems are much reduced now that the massive player zergs are gone because of the event ending. Performance problems is what caused me to quit PvP before.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 20:31
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Now that Midyear Mayhem is over on ESO, I am still playing overland PvP in Cyrodiil until at least the current eval period is over. Enjoying the social aspects of playing with friends over Teamspeak, so I may stick with it longer, and try some other PvP builds. The performance problems are much reduced now that the massive player zergs are gone because of the event ending. Performance problems is what caused me to quit PvP before.
This why I hate pvp of late in mmorpgs - when organised groups on TS or Discord stamps over PUGs for lols.

Zogar Sag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 20:36
It's a more social thing than a competitive thing for me.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

August 9th, 2018, 20:38
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
It's a more social thing than a competitive thing for me.
I believe and nothing personal, because i bet it's great fun to play with friends, though its absolutely no fun if you are alone with clueless pug against organized group.

Zogar Sag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 9th, 2018, 20:53
When the group isn't available I sometimes zerg surf with pugs (but usually not grouping), but it's more fun with an organized group with a good leader and thoughtful group tactics. It's what the large overland Cyrodiil PvP is best suited for, rather than disorganized zergs. Try it out with a guild. It can be very fun!

Thrasher

Wheeee!

August 9th, 2018, 23:52
Starting Battle Brothers for the first time. No clue if it is any good; was playing Star Traders frontier. Found it kind of dry, boring and very simplisitic; undecided if i will give it another try.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 10th, 2018, 02:45
Battle Brothers will not bore you. It may, however, equally satisfy and/or frustrate the player at times.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?