Mutant Year Zero - Preview @Gamecrate

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden was hands-on for the people at Gamecrate and they wrote their impressions.

Instead of sucking your forces up into a chopper, flying back to base, then going out on another mission later, your party is just always adventuring. It’s a bit like the Divinity: Original Sin games in a way, but with more strategy flair and less focus on roleplaying.

The start of my demo had me exploring a run-down arctic camp that was overrun by bad guys. I don’t know much about them other than that they were bad, but that’s all I really needed to know. Before I got to the base itself I snooped around outside and scavenged for some supplies, looked for alternate entrances, and generally performed my pre-fight scouting duties. All of this happened in real-time with standard WASD movement around the environment.

After slyly sneaking into the base, that’s when things started to go south.

[...]
More information.

yup, it's on my list as well!

Story? Characters? Erm… Romances?
I mean… Look. Improving xcom doesn't mean making duifficulty mods. IMO. Won't sell to me.

Amazing Art director they have and the mind blowing lack of a skilled particle effect + sound artist. I was not the only one surprised to see mediocre shooting effects & "Meh"-stlye gun sounds in the videos.

I can live without great gun sound if the story and game play are good; could care less about romance in a game. I mean i guess vaguely i think it was well done somewhere but usually it is just a tacked on something for those who can't live without.

Indeed, I laugh at the mere idea that an audio issue would stop me from purchasing a game. I have an actual stereo for my musical needs!! And right behind that, in the utter nonsense list, is the need for silly romance stuff in my programs. Honestly, enough already.

God… I slapped it randomly. There is absolutely no need to put it in. It's an example of something xcom doesn't have. Anything can be added to this product to make it not look just as mod - it can be tetris minigame or candy crush saga "puzzles", just something.

Yea, I know. Everyone here can't care less about tetris. Or candy crush. And romances, and stories and characters and etc. The point I was trying to make is not about caring, it's about not being a clone.

This doens't appear to be anywhere near a clone of xcom. It appears so far to be closer to an rpg. In xcom you have a few maps that you revist a gazillion times as your tech and alien tech advance till you reach an end game. While not a huge amount has been shown this appears to be more story driven with areas that are appropriate to the story.
-
Here is the developer's description taken from steam product page:
-
A tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth.
-
story exploration stealth - doens't sound like xcom to myself.

Back
Top Bottom