Gothic 3 Just Finished the *!@& Gothic 3!!

jaguar10

Watcher
Finally finished this frustrating game. My $4.00 game ended up costing me over $160.00 due to having to get a new video card and another gig of Ram to even play it!! But one will do anything when you are obsessed!! ha, ha. Thank you to all the tekkies who helped me on advice about Ram, video cards, etc.

As for the game itself, I don't think it was as good as Gothic 2 Gold. Although there were a few funny moments here and there, I liked the people in Gothic II better plus it was easier to get around and you could beat up citizens and steal more stuff. I kept getting caught all the time and having to fight my way out of town. It wasn't even worth pickpocketing people as I had so much cash & experience without having to do that. I had a helluva time making my way through Nordmar, even with the help of maps & a walkthrough, same for Varant - I was just about to give up tramping through the desert and snow and even left some quests unfinished because it took too long to get where you wanted to go. Trying to find those Water Mages took me days!! I haven't even gone back to experience the last two endings yet because I am so tired. The world was just too big with too many empty spaces and no paths to speak of in certain areas. Extremely frustrating!! Not too mention the occasional crashes I experienced even with the new ram & video card. I still had some stuttering even after doing all the tweaks I read about. My character seemd to go into slow motion when fighting and often got stuck. I also had some 'invisible' animals at times trying to kill me. Didn't know wolves could go under a rock I was standing on and come up through it to kill me!! I never could find the 5th Shy Deer either and I walked every inch of the Ardea landscape several times! I kept losing my Paladin shield also and having to re-equip it all the time! Also kept getting killed a lot because the character would sheath his sword at times instead of keeping it out. This has been the worst, most frustrating game I have ever played!!!!! Also, didn't like using the mouse plus the keyboard at the same time, either. I kept getting vertigo with the landscape swirling around and also it was hard to focus especially in fights.

But, of course, I've got to play it again to see if I can do better at getting around, etc. ha.ha.!! But first I need a long rest. My head aches, my neck & eyes hurt and I think I sprained my index finger!! ha, ha.

My kudos to anyone who can get through this game without having to resort to cheats or walkthroughs or the occasional god mode, not to mention having to deal with the constant reloads & crashes.

Are they planning a Gothic 4?? If so, I hope they fix all the bugs!

Thanks again, The 53 yr old. Gothic gamer

Gothic 4!!??!! You mean that JoWood game NOT made by PB!! Sorry, it won't be G4 to me. Heck, that would be like FO 3 being made by someone like Beth$oft......er, I'll get back to you!! :)

gothic 3 was superior to gothic 2 gold in nearly every way to me. that said i can agree that gothic 2 gold is a "better" game whatever that means. nothing tops the o.g. though.

I think G2 Gold was the best Gothic, followed by Gothic, G2 and the only average G3.

Gothic 4!!??!! You mean that JoWood game NOT made by PB!!

It is like another of my favorite franchises 'Soldier of Fortune' where a new game in the series is being made, not by original developer Raven but by a budget division of Activision ... the one that makes all of those crappy 'Dee Hunter' games. In other words, I love the franchise and hope they'll do good, but a little voice inside reminds me of how this is all likely to go.

Same for G4.

Or we could look at Command & Conquer 3, Tomb Raider, F.E.A.R Extraction Point, the Jedi Knight series (Dark Forces was not from Raven), Neverwinter Nights 2, KotOR 2 etc. and be optimistic that a developer change does not necessarily have to mean that the sequel to a series will suck :) .

Or we could look at Command & Conquer 3, Tomb Raider, F.E.A.R Extraction Point, the Jedi Knight series (Dark Forces was not from Raven), Neverwinter Nights 2, KotOR 2 etc. and be optimistic that a developer change does not necessarily have to mean that the sequel to a series will suck :) .

Very good point ...

G2 with NotR is one of the best gaming experiences you'll ever come across as an RPG gamer, and even though I do like G3 a lot, I can't claim to feel that it could beat G2/NotR, even if all the bugs got fixed.

G2 with NotR is one of the best gaming experiences you'll ever come across as an RPG gamer, and even though I do like G3 a lot, I can't claim to feel that it could beat G2/NotR, even if all the bugs got fixed.

If ALL the bugs got fixed I think it would be one of the greatest crpg's ever made. I don't think that will ever happen though. :(

not a good point concidering most of those developers had track records in the genres they were taking over- specifically crystal dynamics and obsidian. look at the games that the gothic 4 dev team has made...i think that is highly important though i do think it is still worth having some hope for...just don't hope for any gothic 'magic'.

If all of G3 bugs were fixed, the game heavily rebalanced, and AI was redesigned
from the ground up (oh and perhaps a wee bit more depth for the Main NPCs
wouldnt hurt ) this would make the best of the series by Far, imo. I was hoping
for all that from the expansion as per the NOTR effect on G2.

(it certainly is more of an rpg than the rest as it is now. And the only recent cRPG that
comes even close to offering trully non-linear gameplay and an open ended Main
quest)

Unfortunately you have to judge with what you have in your hands in the end,
and I doubt that even if jowood releases any new patches things will change
dramatically for the better.

So its something like G1 to G2_NOTR to G2 and G3(about balanced in their flaws
and strengths to my eyes) for me now...

If ALL the bugs got fixed I think it would be one of the greatest crpg's ever made. I don't think that will ever happen though. :(

Maybe I have to replay but I don't think that even if they fixed *everything* it would be as good as Gothic 2.

Not a problem, I think JonNik does make some good points, even though I'm still not sure it would be better than G2 even with all the bugs fixed.

I disagree with him saying the game needs to be "heavily rebalanced" though. It definitely does need some tweaking but not that much. Npc's and Orcs should be much stronger vs animals\monsters, but otherwise I didn't think the balance was that terrible.

Maybe I have to replay but I don't think that even if they fixed *everything* it would be as good as Gothic 2.

It depends on how you define fixing. When you take it that only the bugs are taken care off, I agree with you. When you mean that the main characters got more indepth, the bugs taken care off, the main voices done by the previous actors, added climbing and swimming under water, making your armour more guild dependable (no more orc mercenaries in paladin armour), well, when you have all that, I'd say that Gothic 3 would be better.

i still can't believe people are bringing up the no climbing. you realize you can explore about 1000% more areas than in the other gothics. climbing is obsolete. if you want to go somewhere just jump. climbing would only work if they redid the entire game and put 90000 block ledges everywhere...a waste of time for anyone to have to do. sure the jumping may not be as fun (an sometimes silly) as climbing lara croft style but i'm ok with that. if you recall gothic 2 nixed alot of climbing as well by removing laddlers which were the best climbing aspect either gaining access to a high hut or watchtower--gothic 2 had ramps--weak with a capital w.

Climbing wasn't that big of a deal to me, but it sure would have been nice to be able to dive under the water and see fish, stingrays, etc, like in Gothic 2. Not to mention being able to find underwater caves and buildings, etc. Hopefully this will be present in Gothic 4.

Back
Top Bottom