Two Worlds II: PotFF - Review @ TCO

A lot of reviewers these days seem to be in the "Call of Duty" mode. Straight through shooter, no backtracking to turning in quests and things like crafting just annoys them. Very few guys like Desslock around anymore.

That high of a score for Daggerdale is kind of out there since that release was really panned by most sites and had real release issues for not just Xbox but all platforms. I did play it and it is a disposable game. Quickly I might add. The devs were all fired.

Then there are Rpg sites and they insist(including this place) on:

1. Choices
2. consequences
3. story
4 character development
5. More then one storyline depending on choices
6. Turn based or pause usually preferred
If there isn't enough of these there is lots of squawking.

Never mind that Two Worlds is a completely different game. More in the Action RPG variety, kind of a 3d Diablo with lots more. I played it and am still playing it although I like the modded version better. Potff is more of the same although with a bit of a different twist on the plot. Motoki had a good review of it on the Zuxxez site and I think he said he finished it. I was real impressed with Mass Effect but i wouldn't compare the two. There are probably 15-20 Action Rpg games out that would be a better comparison. In this category I like it quite a bit.

tion and focus to achieve something great.
Verdict

An ambitious and beautiful RPG that falls just short of greatness, thwarted by a stunted finale and imbalances.
From Desslock and a more balanced review

Agreed. I don't think they could be more different really.

Mass Effect is a huge sweeping epic about the entire galaxy being threatened while PoTFF is small, introspective story that is ultimately about the pursuit of happiness, and what that really means.

You guys introduced Mass Effect, so don't go all "oh, but they're so different!!", now. The point was that PotFF was criticised for sarcasm but ME got away with it, remember?

That's because ME did it better. That EA has a bigger budget doesn't change the reality. Again, that doesn't mean the review is fair but find something other than pretending 2W2 has great writing to criticise the review.

My point is only a low score 4 vs a 8.2 from a more respected site

Differences do remain however

Better is a relative term. I can objectively say ME has higher production values but that doesn't always equal better to the individual. While I can recognize those production values, there were also things that irritated me about ME2 and I probably enjoyed PoTFF more so that makes it better for me.

I liked the overall story of PoTFF taken as a whole. Some of the (English) dialog was delivered very flatly but I still like the story. Something about the writing appealed to me so yes, *I* like the writing. It's not Shakespeare, but I enjoyed the story for what it was as presented.

Honestly Dhruin, I don't know why you have such a bee in your bonnet about this game but every time it gets mentioned in the same sentence as Bethesda or Bioware games or whatever you act is if it is some personal affront to you.

I like it. You don't. Bioware games lately irk me. Maybe they do to you maybe they don't. Who cares?

Ultimately what I say is the opinion of one guy on the internet so take it with a grain of salt. If you want to think I'm nuts, knock yourself out.

Waiting for this to be $10 on Gamersgate. Considering the size and length of the Fallout DLCs and such I don't see spending $30 on this at all. Kind of annoyed they tried to charge that much.

As for the game itself, I actually really liked the sarcastic ass main character and the game had a lot of wit. That said Dhruin is completely correct in saying that ME2 blows it out of the water in story and dialogue quality.

I'm playing the main game two worlds 2 right now, and the writing and cut scenes are very bad, I dread talking to characters in this game. I think perhaps it's the weakest part of the game. They seem to drone on and on...and say not much at all. The NPC's stare off into space as you talk to them, sort of uncanny valley. Definately does not stand up to most modern rpg's let alone bioware.

The NPC's stare off into space as you talk to them, sort of uncanny valley.

The fixed that in the expansion. Conversations there are a fixed camera angle like most games. I think the idea of having rotatable camera during conversations sounds good in theory, but in practice it doesn't work so well.

Back
Top Bottom