Risen Stuck in Harbor Town

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I'll try and keep this spoiler free so folks can be warry of the problem.

In Harbor Town you can get a quest to follow a certain guy. When you follow him, he'll eventually get to his destination and start talking to another guy. The other guy, unfortunately, is pretty tough. So, instead of confronting him, I snuck around on the rooftops and started firing arrows into his head. It took a lot of running around town but I brought him down in front of Cid's house and got the quest object off of him. Cid's wife yelled something about how I would pay. Uhoh. But the guards who were around didn't seem to care at all. I delivered the quest object and got my full reward.

Later, I noticed the guy I was following originally was still at the meeting spot, talking to the air. The quest to follow him was still there, too. The guy he was supposed to be talking to had vanished - it seems I didn't just knock him down, I killed him (by firing arrows into his head? who would'a thunk it?). Oh well, I didn't need him for anything so I looted his house and kept playing.

Now I've got trouble, though. I need to talk to Cid for another quest but he doesn't respond at all. His wife will only say that she doesn't want to be seen talking to a killer. No way am I going to be able to get a Joke scroll this early. Stuck.

I'm sure glad I had a save game from just before the rooftop battle or I would in serious trouble. Save early, save often, and use NAMED saveds folks. It won't always be obvious when you've really mangled your progress.

have you 50 gold? Go to Sonya's place, ask her which girl she'd recommend you, and she'll send you to Olga. After you spend the night with her, she'll give a Joke spell.

Hope this works for a workaround.

It would have - if I had looked around a bit more. Still, even though I didn't use it, I was very glad to see that the option was there and I hadn't just found a cul-de-sac of doom. Even one of those can blow my trust and I'll start thinking that I'm stuck because the devs screwed up instead of thinking it's because I missed something.

Now I'm a lot more stuck, though. This will have some harbor town spoilers...

I've pretty much finished every quest that doesn't seem to require pick locks/pockets skill. I've sided with Order and kicked out all 5 of the Don's minions. Now I'm tasked with finding out how the artifacts are getting out of town. I've found the Don's chief (in fact, I found him before kicking out all the minions) and it's easy to see the lower door behind him goes outside. I've talked to him (even got a little xp) but now all he wants to do is trade. I've tried attacking him several times but he's way beyond me.

I presume there's somebody somewhere that will tell me he's doing the smuggling but I sure can't find who it is. I think I've talked to everyone with a name. Does anyone know who the snitch is that will break this open? Or do I need to crank the difficulty down to easy and show the chief who's boss?

Last edited:
I don't know. No quest in the Harbour Town requires Pickpocket or Open Locks to finish - Didn't have any of those, and I mopped up all of the vagrants for the Order, all 6 or 7 of them, I lost count actually. On the other hand I was flat broke by the end of it, but did manage to squeeze a bit of training (the fight I described above was most difficult for me at the time).

As for the chief vagrant, I have no idea how things played out themselves, but I remember exausting all available dialogue options with him, and at some point we fought. After that I went back to the commendant - I'm really bad at names, and the somewhat everydayness of them in Risen makes it even more of a bunder to help me remember 'em - and then I send him to the monastery :)

I seem to recall a few quests requireing thieving skills:
- Captain whatshisname wants his shirts from a chest that is behind a locked door.
- Weasel wants you to extort a few people. The weapon dealer has a key on him that you need.
- During the quest for Weasel you also have to do some sneaking.

@Zloth:
Regarding the quest for the Commander. You seem to have missed talking to Sophya or whatever her name is. You have to buy information from her, untill she tells you about Scordo being hidden in her storage room. At least I completed it by doing that, then talking to (and beating up Scordo so I could get his key). The Commander is primarily interested in the key at this point.

1) Captain Whatshisname's bundle doesn't need any special skills - I just wandered a bit while trying to figure out which building is the warehouse exactly and how to get to the 2nd floor - pissing off the Ogre in the process, who seems resistant to the Joke spell but that's another matter - chest is unlocked.

2) You don't need thieving skills if you join the Inquisition and drive Weasel out of town.

I know, I'm just saying that there are quests needing those skills.

I agree, and was pointing out there are still workarounds ...

I'd already found Soyo-whats-his-name. I found the secret passage without any help and exhausted all the dialog options, so there was no way to get the guy to start fighting me. No matter, though, he's nice and isolated so I just layed into him... and got killed. Reload. Killed. Reload. Killed. Reload - lower difficulty to easy. Killed. Reload. Killed. Reload. Won.

The quest I was thinking of with respect to lock picking was the pirate's shack. There's probably a key to it somewhere but I never found it. I never could get Patty to leave town, either, even though the way was open and the triplets went out just fine.

Now I'm getting stuck up in the Monestary trying to fight Arick (sp?). The guy as far tougher than me. Even dumbing the game down to easy, I can't get him down to half hit points before he wastes me. I really don't want to blow all my learning points on staff and strength just to beat this one guy!

Stop fighting Alric and solved the murder ;)

Actually, Alric was easy! I just had to let him beat me once, then chat with William. I'm actually pretty happy I wasn't able to beat him, the 'tricky' way past him is pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom