DA:O ♥♥♥ David Gaider/Patrick Weekes!

Dragon Age: Origins
@DArtagnan: So, you're a Trekkie? Well, well, The Force has a dark and a light side. :)

@DArtagnan: So, you're a Trekkie? Well, well, The Force has a dark and a light side. :)

Hehe, you bet I'm a Trekkie.

Well, not really, but I REALLY liked TOS and TNG - and I love some of the concepts of the show.

I'll out myself and say that I'm one of the probably very few who actually liked Wesley Crusher. He was about my age in the show when it aired and while I can understand why so many ST fans found him annoying -- it must be either prejudice or jealousy -- I never had a problem with him at all. He was just a character, the main focus was still on the adults ...

I'll out myself and say that I'm one of the probably very few who actually liked Wesley Crusher. He was about my age in the show when it aired and while I can understand why so many ST fans found him annoying — it must be either prejudice or jealousy — I never had a problem with him at all. He was just a character, the main focus was still on the adults …

Oh, it must be prejudice or jealousy?

It can't be that the kid was written as an ENTIRELY unrealistic character with absolutely no flaws whatsoever, and that his disposition in general was vomit-inducing?

I mean, if I was the kind of person who'd be jealous of someone (don't think I've tried it) - it'd be Picard or Spock, as they're what I consider extremely admirable and somewhat plausible in comparison.

Maybe it's just that you were the perfect target candidate being so young, and so unaware of how human beings are not perfect?

Could be :)

That said, I wasn't THAT against him. You kinda got used to it, and they made a complete turn-around towards the end where he started approaching something human - complete with mistakes and stuff.

Well, ok, not necessarily prejudiced or jealous. I read some of the dissertations about him on the Internet that describe exactly how he was such an obnoxious character. But as I said, it never bothered me at all. Yes, it could be that I was too young myself back then so that I kinda accepted him without question.

On the other hand, yes, this does sound a bit like adult prejudice. Children don't care if stuff doesn't fit the norm, if anything they are simply interested because they don't know it yet. Only when adults imprint their own values on them they start behaving accordingly, with various restrictions placed on their behavior.

Well, you're welcome to your opinion.

I wouldn't see it as prejudiced, because when life teaches you that human beings are a certain way - it's kinda hard to accept a human being, being portrayed as Wesley was portrayed. It's what I would consider an informed opinion - but who knows, maybe there ARE people like Wesley out there. I just haven't met them yet.

Anyway, whatever :)

I would like to be worshipped like that one day as well. ;)

However, having lost a few story contests within the last months, I almost assume that this will never be. (One of them was won by a professional. I hate professinals entering fan story contests !)

So I decided to keep all for myself ... ;)

Was he perfect and always positive in his attitude?

I've met a couple of those, and while I did like them, I also felt the constant urge to swear (which I normally never do) in their presence, just to create som balance.

And again I'm reminded of that fellow student at med school. From the start of every term he sat at his desk, studying every day till 18:00, when he left for his den. While most of us did .. other things. Problem was, he studied until 18:00 also when time came for exams. While we studied … much harder. We hated him of course, although he was a really pleasant guy. Today he is a professor.

Was he perfect and always positive in his attitude?

I've met a couple of those, and while I did like them, I also felt the constant urge to swear (which I normally never do), just to create som balance.

But you don't know what they're feeling and thinking in their private moments.

Wesley was clearly not balanced like that.

Still, IIRC he ended up slightly less extreme and even slipped up at the academy :)

I was older and should have hated him but didn't ... but much of his stuff was really poorly written or thought out.

Few of us have been young and flawless geniuses though ;)

But it wasn't his mental capacity I found to be annoying, it was his ever positive attitude combined with perfect bravery and honor.

OMG DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT ABOUT STAR TREK

Lulz.

I still watched it though, especially enterprise with the vulcan in the really tight top

Hmmm, I liked Wesley Crusher and I was a lot older than he when it aired. What I really liked was Troi's body, but man she didn't age well :) I prefered Wesley over automaton Lt. Yar any day. Denise Crosby just couldn't act. Did she ever play in anything else? Wil Wheaton was a good actor who couldn't overcome his role. It seems like STTNG killed his career. Too bad.

Wow! This has nothing to do with Patrick or David. Unless…either of them had a crush on Wesley :embarrassed:

I didn't have a problem with Wesley, but Neelix ... I HATE NEELIX! It's like Star Trek's version of Jar Jar Binks.

Back
Top Bottom