Do you see it, Eye?

Capt. Huggy Face

Troll Aspiring to Responsibility
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
So, I find myself in Carlsbad, New Mexico for work recently. I'm done early enough the other day that I go to see the national park there, the preserved site of an ancient sea long ago receded to reveal an impressive cavern 80 stories below the surface. Inside, I see this, think of Eye and snap a shot:
eye.jpg

Do you see it?

Been there!

Awww, you in Mexico thinking of me… :blush:

Wow, that cave looks amazing!
How did you reach that cave, Capt. Huggy Face? Don’t tell me you had to take 80 stairways?

Last edited:
It looks good on you, Eye. Now, I'll never stop thinking about you. :)

How did you reach that cave, Capt. Huggy Face? Don’t tell me you had to take 80 stairways?

There is a way to hike down, but they say it takes about an hour. I didn't have time for that, and I've done plenty of walking in the desert already. I don't love it as much as some people. I took the elevator. :) I barely made the last one down and didn't linger too long inside, so I could catch the last ride out. The cavern was surprisingly large and took a while to walk through.
elevator.jpg

I took this photo because, you know, that place would make a kickass base for a Bond villain.

It looks good on you, Eye. Now, I'll never stop thinking about you. :)

Captain Huggy Face, you rock!
bhdb7p.jpg

There is a way to hike down, but they say it takes about an hour. I didn't have time for that, and I've done plenty of walking in the desert already. I don't love it as much as some people. I took the elevator. :) I barely made the last one down and didn't linger too long inside, so I could catch the last ride out. The cavern was surprisingly large and took a while to talk through.
elevator.jpg

I took this photo because, you know, that place would make a kickass base for a Bond villain.

It sure does! Quite a unique place! One-of-a-kind. I have never even heard of something like that before.
What was the temperature like down there? Cold or warm?

It's summer in the high desert of New Mexico, so it was pretty hot on the surface. Inside, I found it refreshing. I live in the low desert, but I'm not in love with it. I prefer the mountains and the ocean. Not sure of the exact temp inside the cavern, but it was cool. My hands got a little cold toward the end, but that felt nice to this desert dweller.
cave.jpg

I appreciate the .gif. You remembered my roots. You can't see it there, but I had more hair back then under that helmet.

I remember the first time I saw the silent mod break from tradition with a flurry of several posts all in the same thread about the same subject: a screenshot of a particular codpiece in Elex. Then, I began to notice a pattern forming, though I know I'm forgetting some examples. One recent thread you started leaps to mind about some Internet drawing app or something, in which you couldn't get out of the subject line without mentioning the first object you drew. The pattern again. So, strange as it may sound, there actually was something else in that cavern that made me think of you, Eye, a particular stalagmite:
stalagmite.jpg

I remember the first time I saw the silent mod break from tradition with a flurry of several posts all in the same thread about the same subject: a screenshot of a particular codpiece in Elex. Then, I began to notice a pattern forming, though I know I'm forgetting some examples. One recent thread you started leaps to mind about some Internet drawing app or something, in which you couldn't get out of the subject line without mentioning the first object you drew. The pattern again. So, strange as it may sound, there actually was something else in that cavern that made me think of you, Eye, a particular stalagmite:
Hahaha! Well, that’s is definetely a way to connect the distinctive dots. :)

But it is weird though, because when I look at that last picture of yours, it reminds me of Rosie, the Jetson family's robotic maid and housekeeper. With a pointy head that is.
be2f40b17edb486b94cb25a528958e5d.jpg

Well, the slim version of her, so something like this one:
a84f0995730bbe89494b3c7e1364fc82--the-jetsons-the-robot.jpg

Pfew, glad I see something different, meaning you and I are not alike, capt. Huggy Face. ;)

You dodged a bullet there.

So you didn't stick around to watch the bats fly out?
Captain Huggy Face, you rock!
<grrrooooaaaaannn>

Yea, I have been there as well. Around 20 years ago or so. It was nice and cool in the cave, I remember. They (the guides) wouldn't let people go into it and explore it though. You only get to look a bit and then you go back up to the surface. It was ok, not a huge cave fan personally, but I know some people are really into it.

Edit - I might be confusing my cave systems. I think I went to the Carlsbad caverns a long long time ago, when I was a kid. The more recent one I was referring to in my main post was a cave system in the Mojave desert that had official tour guides and they wouldn't let people go explore into the cave.

Carlsbad is a name I know from central Europe ... I think there's a town with that name : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovy_Vary

"Bad" means "bath" in German language, and "Carl" is a common name, not in fashion these days, though. The German name of Charlemagne is Karl der Große.

I do quite like exploring caves, but only the large ones. None of that wriggling down little passages with your arms by your side, hoping not to get stuck. Bugger that.

Yea I've done a couple of the crawl through the mud caves when I was younger. Really annoying when there is water in the middle. Thank goodness some other guy lugged the rope around that we needed to climb back out. Was an interesting cave but a lot of work. This cave - don't think I've been there - i know we went to four corners area (red sandstone and all) but I don't think we went to any caves.

I do quite like exploring caves, but only the large ones. None of that wriggling down little passages with your arms by your side, hoping not to get stuck. Bugger that.

you are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

And hoping that the tide doesn't come in before you're out.

pibbur who discover a lot of places he doesn't want to be on the watch.

PS: For small-scale cave exploration, nothing beats having a cellar (I do). Unless you keep it tidy (I don't, don't think I've heard of anyone actually succeeding in that). DS

PS: For small-scale cave exploration, nothing beats having a cellar (I do). Unless you keep it tidy (I don't, don't think I've heard of anyone actually succeeding in that). DS

We actually have a problem with a craze of Londoners indulging their tunneling impulses, and digging down to turn their subsurface areas into exciting things, like home cinemas and cozy dens. The amount of major work being done is causing serious disruption and noise in some areas, and there are concerns about unforeseen physics-based consequences.

Back in my Boy Scout days, we would go down to SE Missouri's Ozark mountains for camping and/or river rafting. There were little caves EVERYWHERE! Going into them was great fun!

We actually have a problem with a craze of Londoners indulging their tunneling impulses, and digging down to turn their subsurface areas into exciting things, like home cinemas and cozy dens. The amount of major work being done is causing serious disruption and noise in some areas, and there are concerns about unforeseen physics-based consequences.

hm....the London Underground? Don't want someone couch crashing through onto commuters :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom