Homeworld 3 Announcement Trailer

Cacheperl

SasqWatch

Pretty cool. One of the best and certainly one of the most unique strategy games I have played. One of the very few space strategy games that actually take place in a 3D environment (ignoring the ground-based Deserts of Kharak interlude).

The trailer does not show that much, of course. At least it's pretty clear that they are going back to space with this. And the music is giving me the right kind of vibes and atmosphere.

I'm pretty happy to see several of my favorite (non-rpg) SciFi game series being extended. Mechwarrior 5 releases in a few days. Aquanox will return, probably soon after that. Homeworld 3 will probably take a while, but still, it's good to see.

The Homeworld franchise is 85% off on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/curator/35727152 as part of its 20th anniversary.

It's still amazing to me how little 3D gets used in space strategy games. Homeworld is straight up, no holds barred 3D. Sword of the Stars has 3D strategic maps but the battles are very limited in the Z axis. Endless Space - nope. Stellaris - 2-and-a-half-D is being generous. Gal Civ - nope. Sins of a Solar Empire - 2.5D, if I remember right.

Whatever happened to MW5? Oh. I see. Epic store exclusive.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is also supposed to have "3D" combat. From the videos I've seen, it does not really look like it matters alot, though.

And yeah, about MW5, exclusive is a shame. I'm tempted though. Waited so long already. :/

Afaik, Mechwarrior 5 doesn't release until December.

I'm thinking about grabbing that Homeworld bundle. Anyone here played Deserts of Kharak? What would you compare it to?

Ah, crap, you are right, MW5 was delayed again, too. Damn.

About Deserts of Kharak: It does have several aspects that are similar to the other homeworld games. You have some large "mothership" vehicle which is your center of production. You can capture enemy units. There is an abstract, tactical map besides the pretty standard view. Keeping your units alive is important, especially since they persist in the campaign. So that's the obvious comparison, it is Homeworld in 2D.

Otherwise, it always reminded me of Dune 2000, but that may just be the desert world setting. :p

I went to buy it and discovered that I already had Homeworld Remastered in my Steam library. It's weird because I honestly can't remember purchasing it. I'm guessing it must have been in a bundle I got at some point.

I was still able to get the bundle discount on Deserts of Kharak though, so I picked that up for cheap. Not sure when I'll get around to actually playing it.

I noticed Homeworld Remastered doesn't include the expansion for Homeworld 1. Was that any good?

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is also supposed to have "3D" combat. From the videos I've seen, it does not really look like it matters alot, though.
I played it a bunch. The strategy map is 2D. The battles are two-and-a-half: you can move up and down but not all that much. It's enough to let you fly over or under the enemy fleet but that's it. You can't even roll the ship.

Well there's bound to be a bunch of Galactica mods for 4X games and the like but Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock is definitely no mod. If it started out as a mod for something else, it got taken mighty far from its roots.

Hum I presume you know this is on fig ? But the price of entry is steep.

I went over to back the campaign, then saw the price. Too steep for me. I'll get it on sale after it's released at some point (and if the game seems decent).

Back
Top Bottom