Happy Thanksgiving America!

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Thanksgiving Day, annual national holiday in the United States and Canada celebrating the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Americans generally believe that their Thanksgiving is modeled on a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists (Pilgrims) of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people. The American holiday is particularly rich in legend and symbolism, and the traditional fare of the Thanksgiving meal typically includes turkey, bread stuffing, potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. With respect to vehicular travel, the holiday is often the busiest of the year, as family members gather with one another.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Thanksgiving-Day

Yes, we're all thankful we don't live there!! :p :)

[removed]
Not sure how many here celebrate Thanksgiving but happy Thanksgiving to those that do.

Last edited:
I have no idea what's thanksgiving and cba to read nut's wiki link, but +1 to all the best wishes.

The old legends about happy meals between Europeans and natives seems to be fading away, at least where I'm sitting. Not just because they are rather dubious but because they are in pretty poor taste, too, given our forefathers' rather genocidal outlook on the natives.

Thanksgiving harvest feasts go way back before the USA, though. I remember seeing something in the older parts of the Old Testament talking about the establishment of the Jewish faith and it seemed to be taking harvest celebrations for granted. I expect these things go back further than recorded history!

[[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a nice Thanksgiving, USA.

And thank you for black friday. ;p

(Funny how we share the latter but not really the former nowadays.)

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving…:biggrin:

I thought it was exclusively American but I guess our Canadian neighbors in the Great White North also celebrate it too. Somehow the more traditional, patriotic holidays such as Thanksgiving and Independence Day are ones that I particularily enjoy these days, lol, for certain reasons…:thumbsup:

Hope you all had a nice family gathering because of Thanksgiving and/or got some excellent deals at Black Friday. If not: have a wonderful weekend. :)

I cleaned this thread a bit. Removed (parts of) posts that should have been posted in P&R.

Last edited:
Well a little late but I hope anyone who celebrated had a good thanksgiving. Now comes the X-Mas party and family fights again next month. Now excuse me while I set up my decorations.

This two classic videos sum it up well.

Last edited:
Fröhliches Erntedankfest ! :)

Hope everyone had a good day - our older son got delayed heading back to college in New York City due to weather :)

I think that just as Columbus Day has moved to become Indigenous People’s Day in many places around the USA to recognize reality a little better than the ‘Columbus discovered America’ nonsense I grew up with, so too should more Americans take a bit of time to recognize that what we celebrate as Thanksgiving is held as a ‘national day of mourning’ by Native Americans.

Hope everyone had a good day - our older son got delayed heading back to college in New York City due to weather :)

I think that just as Columbus Day has moved to become Indigenous People’s Day in many places around the USA to recognize reality a little better than the ‘Columbus discovered America’ nonsense I grew up with, so too should more Americans take a bit of time to recognize that what we celebrate as Thanksgiving is held as a ‘national day of mourning’ by Native Americans.

I'm almost half Native American but I just celebrate it as Thanksgiving :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom