Gothic Remake - Close to the Original

Just my impression of the overall feel and look of the respective games. Janky action combat, visual quality, things like that. I'll give you the fact that GF lacked exploration and it's not similar in that respect. It didn't feel anything like any of the many Bioware games I've played, though. Maybe it's somewhat of a hybrid.

I'm surprised you didn't feel the Bioware influence. It shares a lot with Bioware games. The 3-character party, hub-based semi-open maps, story choices, romances. etc.

It's been talked about quite a bit.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ll-is-the-game-bioware-fans-should-care-about
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/10/18/20902993/greedfall-review-pc-ps4-xbox-one
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67402/greedfall-more-bioware-game-biowares-latest-games/index.html

"immersive"
giphy.gif

I mean, please.
No. Gothic games, and I'm #1 fan of all three, yes even the third, are not rubbish that ever needed that meaningless buzzword to sell.

Eh? I didn't find Greedfall much like a PB game at all. Not that it doesn't have its own merits, but it's not strong in the same areas that I think are important to fans of PB games like exploration and itemization.

In fact, I think hoping that it might be like a PB game was one of the things that made it somewhat disappointing to me. It ended up being more Bioware than PB.
Greedfall cannot be connected to either PB nor Bioware, it had a mood of it's own.
Because of that, and because I liked it's difference(s), I wouldn't want Gredfall devs remaking Gothic. They'd either have to ruin the original design or would have to betray theirs.

It is strange to read such criticism. The unforgiving nature of gothics is what draws me in. There can be dangerous beasts lurking around starting area for instance and it is player's own responsibility to learn about such dangers.

And it is not like the game isn't giving player clear hints not to go near dangerous areas. In gothic 1 for instance orc lands is closed to player. Guards near the old camp warn player not to go into forest alone. Or how the music changes when you go near undead locations for instance. And there are often skeletons near bandit lairs etc. It is just that in most rpgs these kind of warnings can be ignored because the world scales to your level and some players feel that such challenge is unfair.

An other cool thing is how you have to earn your right to wear guild armor. Joining a faction means really something. Magic is something only selected few are allowed to wield and mages are respected. World is full of such detail.

About remembering the names of quest npcs.. What a silly complaint. Isn't there a journal for that purpose? As far as I can recall it is pretty accurate and you can even reread quest dialog. All you have to remember is that where said npc is located. And it really isn't that hard.

I never tried it (Arcania). Is it worth it ?

Yes, it's extremely underrated. People just hate it because PB didn't make it, but it's good nonetheless. Not as good as the first 3 or Risen, but it's still good.

"It is strange to read such criticism. The unforgiving nature of gothics is what draws me in."

Yep, same here. The way you start out so weak even a chicken can kill you in one hit, with only rags as clothing and a stick for a weapon, you really have to grind hard to get stronger, but when you do, it feels really good.

I played Gothic 2 without mods and Gothic 3 with mods years after release. After the first 30 minutes of almost rage quitting, they are now in my computer gaming hall of fame. It's not nostalgia for me because I'm nostalgic for Might and Magic 2 and Dark Heart of Uukrul. ;)

...to see just how fervent, touchy, and defensive fans of these Gothic games really are, all you have to do is read some of the responses in this thread—to ANY criticism! That's why I encourage newcomers to try these clunky old games.

It's truly a weird phenomenon and fanbase.

The predecessor of RPGWatch was RPGDot - which was the greatest English fanbase of Gothic games back then. So nothing weird here.

…to see just how fervent, touchy, and defensive fans of these Gothic games really are, all you have to do is read some of the responses in this thread—to ANY criticism! That's why I encourage newcomers to try these clunky old games.

It's truly a weird phenomenon and fanbase.

Interesting. You've posted the same thing multiple times now in this thread. It really seems to bother you that people like something you don't. :)

Yes, it's extremely underrated. People just hate it because PB didn't make it, but it's good nonetheless. Not as good as the first 3 or Risen, but it's still good.
I have no idea why people generally hate that game (do they really?), in my case I got utterly disappointed with it's core design.

It's a linear tunnel crawler you finish in one afternoon.
Okay, it's not called Gothic (4), I shouldn't have expected an epic openworld game.
But still. Why is it named Arkania if not to swindle some money from franchise fans.
Interesting. You've posted the same thing multiple times now in this thread. It really seems to bother you that people like something you don't. :)
He did? Didn't notice…

But I see some clunkyness mentioned. Forgot everything about that, I do remember having to up my skills if it's about combat. As usual, I never care about combat so that's the explanation why I can't remember details.

What I do remember are 3 things Gothic, unlike mainstream (j)rpgs had:
- no trashmobs with godlike reviving power = no respawns
- no checkpoints but save anywhere although the game is openworld
- no let's go for a coffee, tea, beer, me… till loadscreens end!

Back
Top Bottom