Hero-U - Kickstarter Ends Successfully

I would just like to add that there was also a very generous backer who donated $10 000 via Paypal near the end of the campaign. So in total, they made $126 889 from the campaign, and reached the first 5 stretch goals. :)

It is still possible to donate via Paypal:
Support Hero-U

Donations will count towards stretch goals for a while longer, I think at least until September.

Kay

I really want to back this the first time around but it just strayed too far from the original. The revised game looks okay but it still should have just been done like the original which graphics just improved from QFG4 - bet it would of got far more backers if it had of been.

Did not back this although I backed their first. This one has warning bells all over it.

Did not back this although I backed their first. This one has warning bells all over it.

Yeah. I've been looking at it as a type of pre-early-release sale. Hopefully they can get it wrapped up.

I assume you are thinking about their coming back to Kickstarter to ask for more funding? I can certainly understand your scepticism, but would recommend checking out the interview on AdventureGamers.com, including the comments section below, as it provides an insight into the reasons they ran out of money. They also provided a breakdown of costs in a Kickstarter update. To me it seems that the Coles are neither incompetent nor malevolent, and have remained 100% dedicated to delivering the game. I think Hero-U is a good example of a Kickstarter project which is actually financed to a large degree by the funds gathered on Kickstarter, and which would not have been possible without fan support.

As for the game itself, I have quite high hopes for it. :) One could certainly question the wisdom of expanding the project scope without having the additional funds to do so, but I am much more excited about what they are doing now than what they were originally planning. I think the Coles have proven themselves as excellent game designers in the past, and everything I have read about the design and writing on Hero-U seems to support that they still are. They obviously don't have the budget to make a game with the production values and amount of content of something like The Witcher 3, but I believe they will deliver something which is unique, worthwhile and enjoyable.

Of course, I can understand that you feel differently. I also realize that I probably sound like a complete fanboy. Perhaps my love for the QFG series is clouding my vision. Kickstarter projects always involve a degree of risk, and you back the ones you have faith in. Sometimes they don't turn out exactly as we had hoped, but more often than not, the games which have come out of it have been far more interesting to me than anything coming out of the "triple-A" industry in recent years.

Kay

I feel the same way, no matter if they are good game designers or not, they have to realise that they have a fixed budget and they have to make a scope for that budget, not expand the project beyond what is possible!

I assume you are thinking about their coming back to Kickstarter to ask for more funding? I can certainly understand your scepticism, but would recommend checking out the interview on AdventureGamers.com, including the comments section below, as it provides an insight into the reasons they ran out of money. They also provided a breakdown of costs in a Kickstarter update. To me it seems that the Coles are neither incompetent nor malevolent, and have remained 100% dedicated to delivering the game. I think Hero-U is a good example of a Kickstarter project which is actually financed to a large degree by the funds gathered on Kickstarter, and which would not have been possible without fan support.

As for the game itself, I have quite high hopes for it. :) One could certainly question the wisdom of expanding the project scope without having the additional funds to do so, but I am much more excited about what they are doing now than what they were originally planning. I think the Coles have proven themselves as excellent game designers in the past, and everything I have read about the design and writing on Hero-U seems to support that they still are. They obviously don't have the budget to make a game with the production values and amount of content of something like The Witcher 3, but I believe they will deliver something which is unique, worthwhile and enjoyable.

Of course, I can understand that you feel differently. I also realize that I probably sound like a complete fanboy. Perhaps my love for the QFG series is clouding my vision. Kickstarter projects always involve a degree of risk, and you back the ones you have faith in. Sometimes they don't turn out exactly as we had hoped, but more often than not, the games which have come out of it have been far more interesting to me than anything coming out of the "triple-A" industry in recent years.

Kay

I don't care that they came back asking for money, I do care that they decided on their own to change what I originally backed to a new game that WOULD require more money. It's not my fault that they had to mortgage their house etc because they over estimated what they could do. It's mismanagement on their part.

I want the game to succeed, but the problems they ran into they created.

Don't get me wrong, I think your point of view is perfectly reasonable, and I certainly think that the Coles are fully responsible for the decisions they make when managing the project. They have stated that the change in direction/scope was motivated by feedback from their backers. I personally agree with it, as I think the game looks far better now than it did originally. However, I have no problems accepting that others may think it was the wrong decision, either because they don't care for the new direction, or as a matter of principle. After all, you are getting something which is somewhat different from what you paid for.

I never meant to suggest that you should somehow feel obligated to back it a second time. As I said, you back the projects you have faith in. Personally, I believe in this project more than I did in 2012. The Coles have been fairly open about how the project has been managed and how funds have been spent. I have read the interviews and updates, and I mostly agree with their decisions and priorities. Also, I am more excited about what they are making now than ever. I think the Hero-U will turn out great, and hopefully we will have a worthy successor to the QFG series.

I hope you will be happy with the end result. :)

Kay

Back
Top Bottom