Kickstarter Games - Tanares, a Tabletop Adventure Set

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Dragori Games, a tabletop developer and publisher, has launched a new campaign on August 31st for a new adventure set, Tanares. The set comprises a campaign sourcebook, a player's guide and an adventure book, plus map, miniatures and cards.

So far it has been met with a huge success - 1,310,823 USD pledged of a 50,000 USD goal!

Tanares

Meet Tanares, a high-fantasy campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game. In Tanares, whenever war was waged, the bloodshed summoned a powerful, frenzied Dragon that buried the civilizations involved, resetting History and forever changing the landscape. This dystopian world is kept together and on a short leash by an Empire that forbids large armed gatherings. Under this decree, and without many powerful adventurers out there, your Team may become one of the most powerful units in the world, and effect real change to all aspects of the scenario.

[...]

A Little Bit of History

• Dragori Games was founded by friends from the same RPG party, who wanted to create a GM-less RPG experience after a particularly frustrating session.
  • As a result, Dragori created the dungeon crawler/skirmish game Arena: the Contest ("Arena," in short), thus beginning its history as a board game publisher.
  • The kickstarter happened in 2018, and in 2019 fulfillment was completed. Raving reviews and public acclaim ensued.
  • Late 2019, Dragori announced a cooperative-focused expansion for Arena, called Tanares Adventures, with 300+ hours of unique gameplay and 100+ quests.
  • We also announced, in Jan. 20th, 2020 (Arena's Update #91), that, after the campaign, we'd launch an RPG setting based in the same world.
  • COVID-19 hit the world by storm, with lockdown and quarantines taking place shortly after the campaign ended.
  • Neither our offices nor our factory could open for a long time, which harmed development and production times, and 2021 is considered the most chaotic year in shipping history.
  • Despite all of these problems, in 2021 we fulfilled Tanares Adventures' first wave (pending a little less than 10% of the parcels).
  • In 2022, the second wave will be fulfilled.
  • Now, as promised, we're launching the RPG campaign, to be fulfilled alongside Tanares Adventures' second wave.

More information.

We usually don't post many news on tabletop games, I don't know if there are many players among you. I was surprised at the success of this one, and pleased to see they went through the pandemic which must have hit this market pretty hard.

The pledge fees are not cheap; I have little experience in that domain but the prices in general look quite expensive for that type of game.

Man, I miss playing games like this, yet in this day and age getting people together in person can just be problematic. I still think it's a subject worth posting about, as some folks might have lots in the house that would gather around and enjoy products such as these. And others like me can look on and be envious! -p

Just two weeks left until I get to play boardgames again
I have really missed it

Man, I miss playing games like this, yet in this day and age getting people together in person can just be problematic.
I was thinking that maybe I could try a PnP at home to play with the family, but I'm really not convinced that it would be captivating enough for everyone. It requires a specific mindset, doesn't it?

We usually don't post many news on tabletop games, I don't know if there are many players among you. I was surprised at the success of this one, and pleased to see they went through the pandemic which must have hit this market pretty hard.

The pledge fees are not cheap; I have little experience in that domain but the prices in general look quite expensive for that type of game.

I think the success is do to Ed Greenwood being the product lead. He created the Forgotten Realms fantasy setting, which became pretty much the iconic D&D setting. The mast majority of CRPG D&D games are set in it. There are also quite a few other names I recognize, so these are a bunch of oldies who used to work at TSR.
Personally I was never a huge fan of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, and actually think most of its most interesting characters and stories were fleshed out by other people than Greenwood, who I don't think much of as an author. Still, I respect him for being hugely influential, and for capturing the imagination of a number of talented writers.

Well on the plus side it seems tabletop games are still getting funded, but on the flip-side the golden age of crowdfunding for PC RPGs isn't doing so great nowadays.

I was thinking that maybe I could try a PnP at home to play with the family, but I'm really not convinced that it would be captivating enough for everyone. It requires a specific mindset, doesn't it?

Its a combined story. And yes it requires someone willing to tell the story and learn the rules as well as people willing to act out characters. A very, very, high end example would be Vox Machina, a bunch of voice actors who play D&D as a pod cast and were wildly successful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-p9lWIhcLQ&list=PL1tiwbzkOjQz7D0l_eLJGAISVtcL7oRu_

If you are really interested, I'd suggest buying an adventure. If you want to find cheap ones, you can go to Pazio and buy digital adventures for Pathfinder. In fact they even have a few pretty good introductory ones for free, which are worth downloading to read through and think if you'd like to run a game.

https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/society/quests

Well on the plus side it seems tabletop games are still getting funded, but on the flip-side the golden age of crowdfunding for PC RPGs isn't doing so great nowadays.

I think in general board and pen & paper games cost much less time and money to produce, and so can get funded with a small number of dedicated backers.

On a slightly different topic, I'll read anything that Ed Greenwood writes. He tells interesting tales, and the characters/settings involved tend not to be boring.

And if I could gather up 3-5 mates on my block and game out on the porch, I'd likely give the computer a long vacation! Pen and paper games as well as tabletop sets are where I long to be, the computer is what I settle for.

I'm thinking of backing for the PDFs and borrowing stuff for 13th Age. Possibly even the classes. DragonBlade already sounds like a 13th Age Demonologist, Madwalker the Abomination, Elementalist the Sorcerer, and Redeemer the Occultist or Fateweaver.

Looking at the amount raised and the number of backers, a lot of the inital ones seemed to have gone heavily in on full amounts, and minis add up on the big projects

Back
Top Bottom