|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - Launched the Second Wave

Default Bard's Tale I - Launched the Second Wave

August 15th, 2018, 15:39
US Gamer continues its series on RPG history by looking at The Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown.

Cranford (along with his collaborators on The Bard's Tale, which included such future video game luminaries as Brian Fargo and Lawrence Holland) put together a game that looked a lot prettier than Wizardry, as well. The wire frame dungeons and crude monster illustrations of earlier dungeon crawlers here solidified into more concrete imagery. Labyrinths now consisted of colored walls with unique "event" spaces rendered in even greater detail. Above ground, Skara Brae's brick walls gave way to meticulously illustrated shop and pub interiors. Even the randomly encountered monsters didn't simply look nicer than in previous RPGs, they actually displayed simple animations.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 23:37
Looking well enough so far, if a bit too easy with its pre-rolled level 2 party. The new hires drawings are fitting, but take a while to get used to. And distinctly lack pixels.

One thing I'm puzzled about: is there a manual? I'd love to check up on some of the classes' abilities and mechanics, but I couldn't be arsed to go down 4 floors get the original's box.

Edit: Oops - just realised I replied to the wrong article. Never mind (but thanks, TomRon!)
Last edited by Moorkh; August 16th, 2018 at 02:55. Reason: silly me

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 16th, 2018, 00:54
Neat article. I wonder what other rpgs can be considered part of the second wave?
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa

Nephologist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 16th, 2018, 01:17
Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
Looking well enough so far, if a bit too easy with its pre-rolled level 2 party. The new hires drawings are fitting, but take a while to get used to. And distinctly lack pixels.

One thing I'm puzzled about: is there a manual? I'd love to check up on some of the classes' abilities and mechanics, but I couldn't be arsed to go down 4 floors get the original's box.
There's a wiki of you're interested:
http://bardstale.wikia.com/wiki/Classes

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 16th, 2018, 01:34
Originally Posted by Nephologist View Post
Neat article. I wonder what other rpgs can be considered part of the second wave?
They have a link here for what they consider a "Second Wave"

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/blo…dcast-diablo-2

I think its an audio webcast.

I lump BT and most of the RPG's from the 80's as part of the "Golden Age", starting with Wizardry and ending with Dark Heart of Uukrul. The end coincides with the growing popularity of 16 bit platforms, games requiring hard drives, what became known as "multimedia" back then, and all the smooth scrolling games starting with the trend in space flight simulators.

But I kind of see what they are saying in a "Second Wave" of computer RPG games - once Wizardry and Ultima were established as the way they should be done we start to see clones and improvements on them with BT, Might and Magic, and the Gold Box games - The Big 5.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - Launched the Second Wave