Fallout 76 - Players Offered Compensation

Oh, let me talk micro-transactions. I haven't spent a coin on atoms and I have over 2000 of them. You don't need to pay for the outfits and stuff, just play the game and you can get all of them for free.

But that is the issue. Playing vid products is a cultural thing now.

Players who play a game for the sake of playing it are not hurt.

The others are hurt: those who play a game to get the cultural marker of playing vid products.
They do not want to play the game so pointing out that they could get the stuff by playing a game they do not want to play does not cut it.

Same drama as it happened with the loot boxes. Loot boxes were not mandatory. All it took to get access to the stuff was to play.

Best thing though: Steam has just released a trading card game that is gambling and there is no other way to acquire content but when paying microtransactions.
The game is Artifact.

No uproar, no threat to sue.

Of course, since Artifact hurts players who want to play a game. Cultural players can not relate.

Well, I got a cheap key for this - as I tend not to buy full price games on new platforms when the company has more money than God.

So, for around 40$ I've got a game that I'm enjoying quite a bit - with literally hundreds of hours of distinct content.

It's something like half the price for several times the entertainment value compared to other co-op games of similar design.

Beyond that, they've also opted for a very generous content model for the future - as well as purely cosmetic microtransactions.

To me, that's one hell of a deal - if money was the primary factor.

Of course, that's not the case for my part. I don't mind paying for great stuff regardless, but I consider FO76 an unusually good deal - even at full price.

Provided you enjoy great exploration and co-op driven game design.

Based on what I've seen so far, which is far from the whole game - the world is actually more interesting than both FO3 and FO4. There's a LOT more variety in terms of biomes - and there's a shit ton of exposition-driven content, which I love (logs, terminals, journals, etc.).

They've messed up on marketing here and there - but the hyperbole surrounding this game is on another level.

Certainly, launch was a bit rough - but that's the case for 9 out of 10 new multiplayer games. Heck, even the most established MMOs tend to struggle at launch of new expansions and what not. I guess I'm easy to please in that way.

It's quite fascinating, really.

If you want to look at a recent disaster, I'd say Underworld Ascendant is a much, much more appropriate target.

Luckily, we can complain about multiple games at the same time. :p

The most enjoyable aspect of Fallout 76 is

…all the YouTube videos describing how crappy it is.:lol:

So true, it's been many hours of entertainment.

I feel extremely lucky. I'm getting the type of game I love; minus the multiplayer. I'm also watching Bethesda get reamed for the multiplayer copy/paste game that should force them back to making single-player games. Win-win for this nut.

Like @Darth Tagnan; I get a ton of fun from reading all the journals, finding all of the great quirky bits that Beth does well, and looting till I can't move. I think that the craft/loot/repair cycle needs some serious balancing but I'm having fun till that happens.

On the other hand, Bethesda is being murdered by the press, finally!, for all the cheap retread stuff from past games. Bethesda needs to make something new.

If they can improve upon the formula that I already love - then that's cool. Just as long as they don't give up what's great about their games.

But there are more games than I could ever hope to play, so if they start emulating the more hollow AAA titles (RDR2 is a great example of a game that's a million times more slick and polished - but utterly inferior in terms of interesting content and progression) - then there will be others to suit my needs.

Not exactly worried, but I'm certainly fascinated by the escalating ignorance and lack of perspective in the general gaming audience.

I don't think hivemind and selfish misinformation campaigns have ever been more evident - and FO76 is just another drop in that ocean.

bphg370ni2221.jpg

Wouldn't be sad if that happened Caddy plenty of other games to play.

Wait for it……like Cyberpunk 2077 next year.:p

Seriously Bethesda needs to up their game as other developers are taking the mantle nowadays. Basically they are not king of the open world games anymore.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be sad it that happened Caddy plenty of other games to play.

Seriously Bethesda needs to up their game as other developers are taking the mantle nowadays. Basically they are not king of the open world games anymore.

But then I wouldn't be able to get my next Elder Scrolls tattoo!

Wouldn't be sad if that happened Caddy plenty of other games to play.

But I need my barbie fun house dress up game :D (as in TES 6)

After like 300 hours of betheshda fallouts who needs a watered down version with nothing new except multiplayer? It was kind of relief to me that I would not have to finish Fallout4 yet because I will never buy 76.

They would have to pay me to play it. In that sense compensation is the first step on the right path.

Back
Top Bottom