No Truce With The Furies - The Intellect Skill

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The blog for No Truce With The Furies explains how the Intellect skill will work for the games metric system.

LOGIC

is raw intellectual power. If you want to analyze the living daylights out of the case, take Logic. Formulate theories about what happened, or detect inconsistencies in the statements people make to you. It's useful for not getting bamboozled.

Logic loves being right, however. To a fault. It's a brilliant lie detector until faced with intellectual flattery. Then it starts tooting its own horn. Your Drama skill might interfere: people are pretending, manipulating you, while Logic - blinded by its own brilliance - yammers on about how infallible it is.

In heroic difficulty rolls, Logic can induce near-transcendence-like pleasure from performing raw operations on events and numbers. (It also does maths for you.) And it states the obvious. Logic loves an easy challenge, whatever it's claims.

RHETORIC

is your ability to debate. Nitpick, make intellectual discourse. It doesn't need to be an argument, you can just shoot off your mouth and take hearty pleasure from it. But let's be honest - mostly Rhetoric just bickers. About politics.

All political discourse falls under Rhetoric. You can mold it into a weapon of fascist sable rattling, evicting potato-loving kojkos and deformed himean pygmees left to right. Rid Revachol of aliens in transit! Or become the ultimate liberast (perpetrator of the sin of liberasty), extolling free trade and slimy personal freedoms at the expense of the downtrodden. This is achieved through researching political projects in your Thought Cabinet, then having them supercharge your Rhetoric skill.

A souped up, ideologically informed Rhetoric is an impressive beast, but it gets you into trouble. The twist here is that Rhetoric - our persuasion ability - doesn't really persuade anyone. Most of the time it just makes you new enemies. While your beliefs calcify.

ENCYCLOPEDIA

is your knack for trivia. It's perhaps the talkiest of all the skills, pulling out drawers of fascinating if questionable tidbits of knowledge. Sometimes real nuggets of gold too. It's up to you to discern between the two.

Encyclopedia adores brands, marks, makes of pistolette and motor-carriage, street names, addresses, species of cockatoo, Great Century military leaders, rock music icons, Messinian ceramic manufacturers ... Buy it and max it out, if you want a deluge of lore.

You may even find special, reoccurring places within your Encyclopedia. Like visions: a blackboard of names with all the cops in East Revachol on it, with all their confirmed kills and cases solved. Or a mysterious index of radio frequencies...

[...]
More information.

I love how a lot of their skills seem to have a downside... like "too much" logic can make you a know-it-all, too much rhetoric can make you come across as an idealogue / zealot... A novel approach, can't wait to see how they implement it.

That's a really fascinating and novel sounding approach. Although I'd have thought it'd be more "ego" that loves to be right, rather than logic itself, which often simply is whether perceived or not. :) Thus, I'll be keeping a roving syllogistic eye on this as it develops.

Truly top-drawer stuff here. I love the artwork, BTW. THIS is the dark-horse candidate for RPG GOTY, IMHO. Without a doubt.

I hadn't heard of this game until now. I like the art style and I like the refreshing approach to an RPG with emphasis on story and non-combat gameplay.

An RPG/Adventure hybrid in an original setting…looks like my kind of game. I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Back
Top Bottom