Bard's Tale I - Original vs Remastered Versions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Intros & Finales compared the three versions:

1. The Bard's Tale: 1985 for DOS in EGA
  2. The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled: 2004 for Windows (similar to the original Atari/Amiga version)
  3. The Bard's Tale Trilogy Volume 1: 2018 for Windows
The Bard's Tale - Original vs Remastered Versions (1985 - 2018) Comparison

More information.

Older versions look better, except the city in newest. Combat in newest remaster is really FKD UP.. :((

Personally I think the new version looks awesome :)

Honestly, I prefer the 2004 as well. It has more style. The new upgrade makes the art a bit like a generic mobile game. So liking a more pixelated look isn't trolling.

Except for music, I thought 2018 won everything; as it should. I think I liked the 2004 music better though. Don't know why. I've bought and played BT 2018 but I couldn't get into it. I hit about 7th level before getting bored. I enjoyed the nostalgia though for those hours. I'd rather play PoExile or Diablo 3 though. Still was happy to have the games on Steam though and will likely play them off and on. Note I skipped the wine cellar and just played the catacombs the whole time :)

Wasn’t really interested in these but they look much better than I was expecting.

Backing bards tale 4 has turned out pretty good for me.

Got the 3 remasters, wasteland 2 directors cut and bards tale 4 all for $20.

They should make this into a reality test. Anyone who thinks the older versions look better would automatically get medicine treatment for their psychotic break :)

Seriously, though, what's with the "2004" version? Did I miss something. It looks almost identical to the Amiga version - which came out in the mid-80s.

Maybe I'm the one needing that medicine.

Loving the new version. My son is also now willing to play it, so he can finally understand why I loved these games. Only irritation is the delay in healing at temples... really irritating. They should allow us to skip the sequence the same as the battle messages.

Loving the new version. My son is also now willing to play it, so he can finally understand why I loved these games. Only irritation is the delay in healing at temples… really irritating. They should allow us to skip the sequence the same as the battle messages.

They really need to add combat scripts as well. Or at least give us the option to repeat the actions of the previous round without having to input them for the entire party.

I think they've done a great job overall though, and I'm impressed by the post-release support.

Loving the new version. My son is also now willing to play it, so he can finally understand why I loved these games. Only irritation is the delay in healing at temples… really irritating. They should allow us to skip the sequence the same as the battle messages.

You can press <SPACE> to speed it up.

They really need to add combat scripts as well. Or at least give us the option to repeat the actions of the previous round without having to input them for the entire party.
In the new version (dont know beta or not) it is possible to show all combat option for each char. If they are not available they are greyed out. So with this option on they are always at the same mouse postion and its possible to quickly go through "Attack, attack, attack etc.." without repositioning the mouse.. For me it helped a bit.
But yeah that was also the first thing i thought.. "Redo combat options".

Dude, go troll somewhere else.

I doubt the part about looks is trolling - I also believe 2004 version visuals generally are better.

The part about combat… Can't say. I don't really care about combat and differences. Never did. Any kind of combat is good to me assuming it uses acceptable (or remappable to acceptable) controls.

Back
Top Bottom