Call of Cthulhu - First Screenshots

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The first screenshots of the upcoming Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game have been released. Call of Cthulhu will be an investigation RPG with stealth elements set in the dark, gloomy, and terrifying universe of H.P. Lovecraft.

Cyanide Studio and Focus Home Interactive released two new images showing off the creepy docks and manor areas of Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game.

Built using Unreal Engine 4, Call of Cthulhu is an RPG-investigation game with psychological horror and stealth mechanics. The player is on a mission to find the truth behind a mysterious death of a praised artist and her family at Darkwater Island – sounds promising. Eventually the player will uncover more and more disturbing truths as the great Cthulhu himself awakens.

Darkwater Island is an undoubtedly suitable name for such a sinister looking place. Players will have to explore the area during their investigation while Cthulhu prepares its awakening.

Call of Cthulhu will release in 2017 on consoles and PC.
Source.

More information.

There's already a horror game called Call of Cthulhu, people might get confused that it's a remake.

Sounds interesting, though. RPG, investigation, and psychological horror, all together. Yummy. I hope it will be good.

Players will have to explore the area during their investigation while Cthulhu prepares its awakening.
If Cthulhu is preparing the Cthulhu is awake! I guess we're doing the adventure while Cthulhu is flossing and taking a quick shower? ;)

I hope this isn't rubbish….I loved Call of Chulthu: dark corners of the earth, even thought it was very tough. I wonder if they plan to have similar mechanism like sanity that affects your actions etc? I also noticed that the font on the promo material title looks like that font on CoC: CDotE …? *gasp*

EDIT:...erm OK, maybe its just the standard font used on Cthulhu games like the d20 system etc...

This looks very interesting indeed.

I played Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and I really liked the atmosphere in that game.

This new game is being developed by Cyanide Studio who also developed the Game of Thrones RPG, which IMO is a heavily underrated and overlooked game. The story in Game of Thrones RPG was excellent so I have hopes that they will put sufficient effort in that area again. The combination of a great atmosphere and a great story sounds very appealing to me, particularly in what may seem to be an adventure/RPG hybrid :).

Also, the terms "investigation RPG" and "Stealth" hit the right note with me.

la mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqa sarmadi
fa itha yaji ash-shuthath al-mautu qad yantahi.

This new game is being developed by Cyanide Studio who also developed the Game of Thrones RPG, which IMO is a heavily underrated and overlooked game. The story in Game of Thrones RPG was excellent so I have hopes that they will put sufficient effort in that area again. The combination of a great atmosphere and a great story sounds very appealing to me, particularly in what may seem to be an adventure/RPG hybrid :).

I tried playing GoT but quit early on because I didn't like the combat. I might have to give it another go someday.

Nice moody illustrations with cooler hues, poor illumination, and stark shadows. There's a lot of labor gone into that work. I'm surprised there isn't a thick fog hanging over the scene.

He who calls jimself the official game...is kinda sad.

Lovecraft is copywrite free.

Anybody can do it. So, saying you're the Official Game is kinda sad and silly.

But good luck with that!

For the record I am rooting for all Cthulhu games!

I tried playing GoT but quit early on because I didn't like the combat. I might have to give it another go someday.
I liked the combat system. IMO, you need to play it on hard difficulty in order to be *forced* to think tactically and thus get the most out of it. (Otherwise it could become a rather dull and repetitive exercise). Some battles can be tough and you need to successfully combine the skills of both your characters.
Although I do understand that the chosen combat system may not appeal to everyone.

There's already a horror game called Call of Cthulhu, people might get confused that it's a remake.

Sounds interesting, though. RPG, investigation, and psychological horror, all together. Yummy. I hope it will be good.

Well, the old game is not just Call of Cthulhu, it has additional name Dark Corners of the Earth,and this new game has a different genre, so I think there won't be any problems with confusing. I'm more worried about the quality of the game. H.P. Lovecraft is one of my favorite writers, and I want at least one undoubtful masterpiece game based on his stories.

This is "official" because it's related to the RGP. See the Chaosium icon on their homepage.

I hope this isn't rubbish….I loved Call of Chulthu: dark corners of the earth, even thought it was very tough. I wonder if they plan to have similar mechanism like sanity that affects your actions etc? I also noticed that the font on the promo material title looks like that font on CoC: CDotE …? *gasp*

EDIT:…erm OK, maybe its just the standard font used on Cthulhu games like the d20 system etc…

That's because it's Chaosium's font for Call of Cthulu. Both games being licensed, it makes sense.

He who calls jimself the official game…is kinda sad.

Lovecraft is copywrite free.

Anybody can do it. So, saying you're the Official Game is kinda sad and silly.

But good luck with that!

This is true. No evidence of the copyright after 28 years of his death and even if you go buy the 1976 act that automatically extended it retroactively or the Sonny Bono bill, his works are still in the public domain.

However, it seems Chaosium owns the trademark to Call of Cthulhu and other properties.

This reminds of the Conan game I've been thinking of. After all, HP and Bob Howard were good friends...

Back
Top Bottom