Red Dead Redemption

I'm about 16% in. I'm having a good time. Open world western. Lots of fun, and I ain't seen one this purdy fer a while. Love riding my horse.

p.s. I'm surprised that anyone's surprised that this is a console game. Of course it is.

Last edited:
Watching the enthusiasm for this, it's hard not to be interested. On the flip side, Westerns don't do much for me. Do you guys think it's still worth a look on the gameplay alone?

I think the Western theme is its biggest draw, so if you're not into Westerns....

I'd advise borrowing or renting it first.

Watching the enthusiasm for this, it's hard not to be interested. On the flip side, Westerns don't do much for me. Do you guys think it's still worth a look on the gameplay alone?

That's really hard to say.

Normally, I'm not exactly a huge western fan, but I like the genre well enough.

But, playing RDR, I have to admit I discovered I might love the genre when it's done well.

However, if you really don't like it - it might not be enough.

I'm not sure the gameplay can make up for it, because the entire game is positively saturated in the western style - and has a zillion subtle references to western movies of all kinds.

It strikes me as a truly passionate game, by people who really understand what's cool about the old west.

Not a *huge* western fan, either, but walking out of a saloon through one of those double doors things and into this cool western town in the desert with rocky mountainous terrain in the background is just damn cool. :) The world would be most of the point of this game; if you don't like it, it's just a good-looking action game. Still, travelling through the open world and picking up missions could still be fun for you either way.

Oh, and I thought the dead eye shooting system was pretty fun and different. You can tag multiple opponents in slow motion and then shooting them really fast in real time. Unfortunately, this also makes the game easy (although it's still on the easy side if you never use dead eye). I don't dislike easy games, because I suck at games generally, anyway. :)

They might release it as a Windows game at some point, considering it's an xbox exclusive (Microsoft own both platforms), but then again.. you never know what Microsoft is up to.

I agree with those that say if you don't like Westerns, you probably won't like this game. This is a Western through and through. The Western elements are a big part of its appeal. If you dislike the genre, you probably won't like this game much, either.

I've seen that video. There are also videos of flying humans in the sky flapping their arms. :) Really makes me wonder what they did with their animation system that these models can actually take over those roles.

Yeah, here's that video, for anyone interested. You can see the humans flapping their arms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdCvN-ukRY&feature=player_embedded

I guess Rockstar left these sort of glitches in on purpose, to amuse us?

Right, it's on the PS3, too.

I don't mind the realism issues. They're there for convenience. You can't always easily get your hands on a new horse. I'll agree that it's a bit on the easy side, even with expert aiming, although some missions gave me a good run for its money anyway. That is to say, I wasn't able to complete them without dying a few times and starting over.

Yeah it's all to make things convenient for you, and I personally dislike games that do that. I actually don't mind working a bit. I wouldn't mind having to walk now and again, or running out of ammo, or running out of money so I'd actually have to hunt or do jobs to earn some (all of those things are nothing but diversions because you don't need the money). But that's just me. I realise not all gamers are like that. Some, maybe most would think it's a pain and would rather just get on with the missions. That's why I'm a big advocate of having options. Like the hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas. I'm hoping that will be a prereq with games in the near future.

I'd happily pay for DLC that added some realism or difficulty options.

I wouldn't mind having to walk now and again, or running out of ammo, or running out of money so I'd actually have to hunt or do jobs to earn some

So what you're saying is that you like grinding. Lots of people do, but I've not done it since World of Warcraft. ;) It might be fun for the first couple of times, but when you have spent 20 minutes running back to town for the 27th time because your horse died from under you again (and dying of thirst because you forgot to pack water, realism!! ;)), or you're stuck somewhere without ammo and getting shot into Swiss cheese every three seconds, that view might change.

I guess it's all about the focus of a game. Red Dead Redemption seems to focus on shooting stuff up and riding your horse around the game world, rather than traditional RPG or immersion features. After all, it's an action game. Although some role-playing elements would do this game good!

Those glitch videos are awesome. I wish I could run into that stuff in my game... The only glitch that I've run into was when I tried to jump a fence I ended up shooting up into the air and falling to my death.

Thaurin, there are some rpg elements in the multiplayer side. You can gain experience and level up. Instead of quests, you have challenges. I actually find it entertaining to complete the challenges and try to unlock new characters, mounts, and titles.

Thaurin, there are some rpg elements in the multiplayer side. You can gain experience and level up. Instead of quests, you have challenges. I actually find it entertaining to complete the challenges and try to unlock new characters, mounts, and titles.

I played some multiplayer last weekend. It was fun and I ran into a group of Dutch people, but I only spent a small amount of time in free-roaming. The rest was a capture the flag or team death match affair. It would be great fun to get a group together and actively do those challenges, but going at it alone or trying to round up a bunch of strangers would not be as fun.

They might release it as a Windows game at some point, considering it's an xbox exclusive (Microsoft own both platforms), but then again.. you never know what Microsoft is up to.

I would like to approach Microsoft for "official upport" for an PC exclusive - and then demanding support from them to stay it this way.

Because they make sure that most of the xbox games NEVER reach the PC, so I want to do it vice versa.

Maybe someone who's finished can help me a bit. I've just finished the game, I've done every stranger mission I saw with the exception of Deadalus and Sons and American Lobbyist (because I found them distasteful) but according to my stats I'm only 86% complete. What could I have missed? What does that percentage actually count? Is it just missions or does it include challenges and gang hideouts as well?

Also, I never met the woman who is on the cover of the manual (and again right here on the characters section http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dead_Wiki). I assumed she was an important character and looked forward to meeting her but she never appeared. There are also some women in the trailer The Women of Red Dead Redemption that I don't remember, particularly one in a blue shirt skinning an animal. I would have remembered that.

When playing the game I half expected that a new area would open up (I mean something not on the map), just to be sure... there is definitely nothing like that, right?

Many thanks. I asked this on the reddead.net forum but no one replied. Apparently you have to be "in" or no one will talk to you.

Edit: Also, are there any hidden stranger missions that don't show up on the map? When I first started playing I explored thoroughly, and had a look inside every building I could, and explored every location on the paper map. But I soon realised there wasn't much point because everything you could do showed up on the map (even if some you had to get close before they did). But is there anything that doesn't show up on the map, like hidden missions?

Just found this list for 100% completion:
-Complete all 57 Story Missions
-Collect all 5 Rare Weapons
-Collect all 9 Outfits (More than 9 in the game, but a specific 9 are needed for 100%)
-Buy all 13 Houses (Rentals do not count)
-Work all 5 Jobs
-Beat all 8 Gang Hideouts (7 for Xbox 360)
-Get Legendary Status in/Complete all 4 Challenges (Hunting, Treasure, Sharpshooting, Survivalist).
-Complete all 20 Bounty Locations.
-Help all 18 Strangers (There are 19 in the game! *I know you* Does not COUNT!*)
-Win all 6 Mini Games
-Discover all 94 Map Locations

As for the woman, I think it is a throw-back to the GTA box arts which always has a pretty woman.

There are no new areas that open up. If you follow the story then you wouldn't notice that Mexico and Blackwater are closed off at the begining of the game. Those are the "new" areas that open up even though you can see them on your map.

As long as you have been in the general vicinity of a stranger then you should have it marked on your map...

Back
Top Bottom