Mod Friendly RPG's

DoddTheSlayer

Watchdog
Which are the most mod friendly RPG's out there.
By mod friendly i mean that there are tools for the job and you don't have to be a programmer and write your own tools to do the mods.
I am interested to know if there are games out there that allow you to make new locations, and add new quests to make additional storyline.

NWN1. As easy as you get, but you still need to learn the script if you want to do anything more complicated than a FedEx quest. Of course, someone wrote a script generator, so that's that. NWN2's toolset is more difficult.

Oblivion/Morrowind/Fallout 3. Not sure about the learning curve or difficulty of their tools, though.

The Witcher. Limited modification compared to all of the above, and as far as I can tell, quite hard to learn. I imagine the scripting language used is similar to that of NWN1's, however.

Bottom line: you can't mod without some familiarity with programming languages, or the willingness to learn some.

I think Essaliad has covered it all. NWN1 is by far the easiest, offering someone with a bit of talent and imagination a way to make great mods that other players can enjoy.

Oh, some more:

Dungeon Siege/Dungeon Siege II. Again, have never used either's toolset, though given the mods I've glanced at briefly, modding can be quite expansive.

Infinity Engine games: BG series, IWD series, PS:T. No official toolset, but there have been fanmade modding kits. Modding IE games, however, is not easy at all. Even creating items is a lot more complicated than in, say, NWN.

I think Dodd's looking to improve an existing "campaign", rather than use a toolkit to create a new campaign from scratch. That's what he did with Wiz8, at least. I expect it would be very challenging to get into the NWN1 OC and add an extra map with a side quest or two.

I haven't played all of the games listed above, but I did tinker with a few. If you're looking to add rather than create, I think Morrowind would be a good choice. I toyed with the toolkit and was able to manage some very basic stuff, so you should have little problem doing whatever you want.

I am glad to hear the NWN 1 is probably the best candidate as this is the next RPG that i would like to try playing.
I know that Oblivian has extensive tools but i really don't like Morrowind at all from watching friends playing it.
Gaining a knowledge of scripting so that i could do something would just be a bonus.
I don't think i would ever find anything as enjoyable as Wiz 8 to mod, but the one drawback with Wiz 8 is that the demand for mods to it is so small. It's a lot of work for such a small audience.
Then again, the more popular games have so many more mods that a new modder may never get recognised.

They need to get Dungeon Siege up on GOG pronto! Not only is that one of the most modable games out there, but the biggest limitation on U5:Lazarus and the U6 Project is that it is damn near impossible to find the game!

Good idea as U6P is being ramped up more and more. Tons of new areas have been created in the last few months!!

I've been checking out their site. I'm totally pumped!

I'm part of the project; maybe I should write an update!! :)

I see that dungeon seige 2 has modtools V1.1 to go with it.

I have been advised also by MadGod who made the cosmic Forge Editor for Wiz 8 that Thief and Thief 2 has an incredibly versatile editor and that their system is fully alterable.
Anyone have any comments on Thief as a series ? I don't think i have ever seen it mentioned here.

Is recognition all you're looking for?

It's also an opportunity to get your foot in the door in the games industry, I say if youve got the creative spark and the time - full steam ahead. It just might help land you a dream job in the future!

Although I haven't played any of them, the Thief series is very well regarded around here. I believe Jaz is one of the bigger fanbois at the Watch.

Although I haven't played any of them, the Thief series is very well regarded around here. I believe Jaz is one of the bigger fanbois at the Watch.

Thief is THE game... unfortunately it's not really a rpg. Nonetheless there are countless high quality mods for Thief. So if you really like Thief you might have a look at http://www.thief-thecircle.com.

When it comes to rpg mods there are two big candidates out there. NWN1 and NWN2. The NWN1 mod community is still very much alive, maybe even more alive than the NWN2 community. The Electron toolset is without doubt somewhat mightier than the Aurora toolset, but it's tuned more towards modder groups than single individuals. The Aurora toolset is entirely tile based whereas the Electron toolset uses tilesets for interior areas only. Building exterior areas usually takes a lot longer in NWN2, but the stuff you can do is really impressive. There is hardly anything you can't change.
Both games are documented rather well and have an awsome community. The NWN Vault (http://nwvault.ign.com/) and the bioware forums are the place to go if you want find help and tutorials. Maybe you can even gang up with a few people... usually there are always groups looking for help.

The Thief series is definitely NOT RPG. That said, they can be fun if you enjoy Sneaking/Stealth gameplay.

The Thief series is definitely NOT RPG. That said, they can be fun if you enjoy Sneaking/Stealth gameplay.

The setting and story made me sometimes feel like this is a rpg or adventure. Especially in Thief 1. At first I just played it because I liked the gameplay, but after a while I was so thrilled by the story that I played it because I wanted to see the next cutscene.

Back
Top Bottom