Wasteland 3 - The Road Thus Far

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Over on the inXile site they talk about the journey of the Wasteland series of games.

With a Little Help from Our Friends

Going up against a gang of scavengers is best done with some help from the squad, so it was with no small excitement that our squad got some heavy artillery to back it up. In late 2018, Microsoft acquired our studio with the intention of empowering us to do more of what we do, how we want to do it.

Wasteland 3 was already an ambitious project. We're bringing back the things everyone loved: a deeply customizable RPG, brutal ethical choices with meaningful reactions and consequences, and deep tactical combat. On top of that we have big, new features like the customizable (and formidable) Kodiak vehicle, and cinematic conversations--to name a few.

With Microsoft's support comes the gift of time, and it's time we're joyously putting into making Wasteland 3 a more feature-rich and higher quality experience than we ever would have been able to before. One obvious benefit is all the dialogue in the game is fully voiced (over a half a million words), in a first for inXile's games. We're also putting time into often unseen (but critically important) background work with the additional resources we'll have in QA, accessibility testing, and optimization.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Why did it take them so long to make this game? I just did a side-by-side of Wasteland 2 and 3 screenshots. They don't look any different to me. Is it the same game engine? It feels like Wasteland 2 is a distant memory.

Why did it take them so long to make this game? I just did a side-by-side of Wasteland 2 and 3 screenshots. They don't look any different to me. Is it the same game engine? It feels like Wasteland 2 is a distant memory.
Microsoft money supposedly allowed for a longer development and bug free game. Well that's the official developer statement so I guess we'll see in a few months time.

Which screenshots are you referring to?

I'm not sure where you think time in developing a game goes but the engine is typically less than 10%. The entire game is chock full of new assets (snow and rocky terrain) and all the design elements and locations are brand new. The time went on building all the new locations, new quests and design changes. Having said that the graphics are also better. I've played the alpha and I can categorically say the graphics are a step up. It is most obvious on the player and npc models.

More time and resources to QA would definitely be welcome change to contemporary trend of releasing unfinished products. Full VO seems to be important to some part of audience, I personally couldnt care less about that.

I suspect that under big M wings, this is last isometric, party-based cRPG we see for long time from not-anymore-inXile, so at least I hope it will be good.

I was honestly hoping for something very similar to the last game, perhaps even using some of the same assets. That being said, the new environments are even more to my liking, as I'm a big fan of snow/blizzard terrains, so keep up the good work and we'll all be there when this crosses the finish line!!

I was recently in several places in Canada, and it was negative thirty-six when I was in Edmonton! I'd almost forgotten what real cold was, and that was a brutal reminder, PEI felt tropical afterwards! =p

God I wish this thing got released already then flopped so it's finally put ad acta.

I've played the alpha and I can categorically say the graphics are a step up.
Is the combat improved at all? Did they add "challenging" or, animation-wise, any kind of impact or weight to the characters and creatures?

And what happens if it turns out to be GOTY for 2020 ?
More likely outcome.

Joxer has just gotten hung up on the fact it's possible to play co-op. ( @joxer;, do you feel the same way about the DOS games?). Which to me personally is a complete waste of resources, but if others appreciate it then fine, there's a lot of things I could do without in my RPG's (like housing or crafting) but that I can acknowledge is important for other players. It's not like it ruins my experience as long as it isn't mandatory to actually use the features. I don't view Co-op any differently.

Back
Top Bottom