Gothic 3 - Now on GOG

Great, massive open world game with many choices and paths. This version (and any other digital and retail versions) are only patched to the 'official' v1.6 patch. You need (recommend) to manually download and install the latest community patch (to v1.74).

Somehow "Gothic 3" and Good Old Games seem to be a contradiction.
I don´t think calling the fully patched version a good game is a stretch.
Dunno how different 1.6 is from 1.74 though.

G3 was the buggiest game I've ever uninstalled.

You missed playing a good game then. I wont deny the game was a mess on release though.

Somehow "Gothic 3" and Good Old Games seem to be a contradiction.

Play it with the community patch. It is quite a good game in my opinion with all the major technical problems taken care of. G3 probably has the best portrayal of a conflict/full-scale war out of any open-world game I've ever played, and the ability to have a real effect on that conflict and see the results of your actions in the various regions of the world is very well-done and satisfying. Skyrim could have taken a page out of G3's book in this area in regards to the Civil War…

Gothic 3 is still the "ugly step-child" of the Gothic series thanks to a few sub-par gameplay mechanics (when compared to the previous Gothics), but it is most definitely worth playing for fans of open-world RPGs.

Last edited:
Gothic 3 still looks incredible for a 5+ year old game. Visually, it has some of the best looking outdoor environments I've ever seen in a game.

Unfortunately the combat still pretty much sucks imo, even after the final patch.

Why are you people talking bout G3 and not playing Skyrim . . .

:)

I have started G3 three times and just can not finish it. The game is so big I lose focus and forget what my purpose was. One of the things Skyrim does right is that there is such an abundance of stuff to do, you can easily decide to forgo the main quest and just go exploring all over the place,

Still, I have a few save games from my old rig and playing a fully patched G3 just might do the trick after I finish with Skyrim

The game is very much playable without the community patch. Frankly, for me the combat sucks both in the original and after the community patch but it's simply easier in the original, so it gets less in the way of exploration. I'd suggest playing 1.6.

Gothic 3 still looks incredible for a 5+ year old game. Visually, it has some of the best looking outdoor environments I've ever seen in a game.

Totally agree - the graphics and colour schemes are very impressive even on medium settings and the views from mountains and high places are amazing, not to mention that the physics engine is very impressive as well (I think that this is the first game at that time that I have seen besides Crysis where you see the grass move aside as you walk through it)

Unfortunately the combat still pretty much sucks imo, even after the final patch.

That was my initial feeling but it gets better as you progress - it is more involved than it looks as it includes charging attacks and parrying which you will need to win many many tough battles ahead.

Most games I download from GoG come with the latest patches (including user made patches), so I'm guessing the G3 version at GoG is the same.

This is why I adore GoG so much - DRM free and up-to-date games always at good prices!

That was my initial feeling but it gets better as you progress - it is more involved than it looks as it includes charging attacks and parrying which you will need to win many many tough battles ahead.

I put in around 80 hours in my playthough, so I'd say I progressed pretty far.
I think that was actually with 1.6 though. I played for a few hours after 1.74 was released, just to try it, and combat didn't seem any different.

My main gripe is that there just isn't enough "feeling" to the melee. No sense of impact when you hit something. I guess that's probably the best way I can describe it.

Never did finish it though. In the end, I simply grew bored of all the sidequests, which I found uninteresting for the most part. I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually.

I got Gothic III when it first came out, played it for a little while until I had liberated Cape Dun and set it aside. It was very buggy and the graphics would tend to pause for a few milliseconds quite often - whenever I would turn it would suddenly pause then jerk into place. I picked it up again last winter and installed the community patch 1.74. I had just finished Risen and wanted something similar in gameplay. The community patch fixed all the problems I had at release, and it made the combat seem more balanced. I would rate it as one of my favorite RPGs, with the caveat that you do need to have the latest community patch.

I have started G3 three times and just can not finish it. The game is so big I lose focus and forget what my purpose was.

I had similar problems with G3. Rarely can I start a game and play regularly to the finish. Back when G3 was released I was working 80 hour work weeks. I started and stopped playing G3 on three separate occassions. I started over because so much (real world) time had gone by since I had last played that I could not remember enough about my game to continue and the quest log wasn't enough to help me out.

I finally did finish G3 though and thought it was a decent game - though much too large and too long in comparison to the featureset of the game. G1 and G2 NotR are much better games imho.

The slow down/ intermittent stutter was (and still is for me, since it's never gone away fully) annoying but I really enjoyed G3 even with an early patch- 1.2?- and all its glitches. I still regard it as the prettiest game I've played, though The Witcher 2 was probably better in an absolute sense it was also more limited in scope.

Tried to play it with the community patch w/ rebalance a couple of months ago and was really enjoying it again, then had a week with zero spare time and rather lost the thread of it. Sadly that has been happening a lot the last couple of years.

Funny the rose colored glasses for this game...before it came out the buzz was it was an oblivion killer...then it released...and it was not. It was an ok game at best, the first bit was fine but the farther you got into the game the more you saw how empty it got. I distinctly remember how bad the desert sections were.

I loved G3 (1.6 community patch) but I have to admit the combat did indeed suck. It was amusing but it just sucked. I think JDR13 summarized the problems best.

Funny the rose colored glasses for this game…before it came out the buzz was it was an oblivion killer…then it released…and it was not. It was an ok game at best, the first bit was fine but the farther you got into the game the more you saw how empty it got. I distinctly remember how bad the desert sections were.

Most of the posts in this thread are quick to mention the flaws as well as the good aspects. If you didn't like it, that's fine, but that doesn't mean the people who did are wearing rose colored glasses.

Of course we realize since this game wasn't made by Bioware or Bethesda you're only going to bash it as usual.

Most of the posts in this thread are quick to mention the flaws as well as the good aspects. If you didn't like it, that's fine, but that doesn't mean the people who did are wearing rose colored glasses.

Of course we realize since this game wasn't made by Bioware or Bethesda you're only going to bash it as usual.

we huh? You're getting pretty predictable…I think you may have some problems. I don't think you speak for the community, and you are welcome to disagree with me…but you don't always have to be an ass…even if you are good at it.

quick send me another threatening IM.

Back
Top Bottom