Risen Some new hints on the game

Why isn't there more hype for this game? I'm playing Risen now and it's fantastic. Risen 2 should be getting gobs of hype from the "hardcore" RPG fans. I barely hear anything about it though. And the videos on Gamespot barely have any views. This game needs more exposure.

No swimming in a pirate game? Hmmm... Limiting exploration really bugs me, especially when it was a hallmark feature of G1/G2. I'm torn about the pirate setting but it is probably wise of them to branch out a bit to keep things fresh. I just hope the musket thing doesn't dominate.

Swimming was left out because PB would have had to spend a lot of resources on (under)water details, etc. to make swimming useful.

The hype will pick up near release. Risen 2 is PB's most expensive game so far. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

@Fluent:
Regarding the Risen you have to understand that PB nearly got killed by the Gothic 3 debacle. They quickly secured another contract for a PB style RPG (Risen), but this project was (had to be ?) very conservative and prove that they could still deliver in time & budget and without major bugs. So they decided to copy their own Gothic formula and give the game another name.
Risen 2 has more money behind. It will push things forward.

Good to hear Gorath. I do hope Risen 2 does well. I'm very impressed with PB for making an in-depth RPG like Risen, with minimal hand-holding and heavily based on player initiative. You don't see games like Risen very often. I'm just surprised I don't see more people talking about the series, but I guess it will pick up when Risen 2 is closer to release.

All hail Piranha Bytes! Another small RPG company I can get behind.

@Fluent
Many old 'Watchers here are big Gothic and Risen fans.
We don't praise these games very often here, because for most of us PB games are obviously very good. It's understood - crystal clear :)

Yes indeed!

In fact, many old timers on the Watch originally found this community back on RPGDot because of their common interest in Gothic.

I'm one of them. :)

Yeah, Gothic seems to be a big favorite of RPGWatch. I've never played the Gothic games but I've heard some good things about them. I may someday check them out when I'm bored and have nothing else to play, but I'm not a big computer gamer.

Yeah, Gothic seems to be a big favorite of RPGWatch. I've never played the Gothic games but I've heard some good things about them. I may someday check them out when I'm bored and have nothing else to play, but I'm not a big computer gamer.

You can map the controls to a gamepad. You probably need an old pre-360 pad and a piece of software, but it's confirmed to work. Several players even said that the experience is better than with ASDW+mouse.

You can map the controls to a gamepad. You probably need an old pre-360 pad and a piece of software, but it's confirmed to work. Several players even said that the experience is better than with ASDW+mouse.

I might have to try that. I had a lot of difficulty with the controls for Gothic 1 and had to shelve it without really getting a chance to play.

Back
Top Bottom