Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition

Well I liked them fairly much equally, though I still haven't played Divinity 2: DKS or DD:OS 1. None of them are perfect by a long shot though, but all of them have been great fun.

Agree but were the minority on this site Carnifex. Unfortunately Larian has decided Co-Op Turn-based games are the company's future. Pity guess I'll play PoE 1 & 2 instead.

Also my statement above about cheaper refers to the most funded kickstarter RPG's . As Obsidian, Larian, and inxile they always release these new updated editions.

So I've come to the conclusion it's better to wait for all expansions & patches to play them, and then you can buy them for more then 60% off to boot also.

Divine Divinity is still their best game by far and I prefer Divinity 2 to the last 2 offerings. Funny thing about the direction they are going is that they did a poll and the things that are clearly most important to them like the single screen Co-op and multiplayer were the least important to their actual fan base. I hope they learn from that but doubt they will. They need to make a true sequel to Divine Divinity. Sure some here and everyone at RPG Codex will lose their minds over them going back to their ARPG routes, but it would be a huge hit for them and really no one else could make as good of that type of game as them.

I agree that it would be interesting to see a Divine Divinity type action rpg sequel made by Larian.

Maybe it's me, but I think they are adding too much "stuff" to their games lately. A stripped down game where its all about combat and treasure and either a solo character, or a party, and taking out much of the fancy addon features they did on Divinity 2.

Like, romances. No, you don't need romance crap in an rpg. I get some people love that, but I'm talking about a much more focused action rpg. There is no reason for me to know about the sexuality of my party or character. Really. It's not necessary.

Also, and this would be heretical I'm guessing to Larian, but lose the elemental surfaces shtick. Or, tone it way down. This would fit an action rpg much better. Instead, do a much more elaborate combat system based on old school principles. Make the tactical combat much more intricate and interesting.

All of this is said in my humble opinion, of course. And are my own tastes, others mileage may vary.

Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie have left inXile and joined Larian. Also Adam Smith, formerly of RockPaperShotgun, has joined Larian. Whatever is next for Larian it clearly involves a fair amount of writing and world design. I wonder how many RPGs Larian are working on at the moment?

I hope they don't go back to DD or D2 styles of action combat. But I'm not too worried, as there's no reason to believe they will. Swen has said plenty of times that he always wanted to make turn-based games from the get-go, and the only reason DD/BD and D2 are the way they are is because publishers forced them. Which is no longer an issue now.

Having said that, D:OS2's combat could use a hell of a lot of improvement. I thought D:OS1's combat was pretty good, but stuff is just out of control in D:OS2: (1) crazy numbers ramp-up at each level-up, (2) needing to re-buy most all your gear every level-up at higher levels just to keep up, (3) surfaces are just out of control, most exemplified by the cursed fire that always seems to be everywhere, (4) source-point-requiring skills and their insane damage, (5) horrible armor system that makes tactics take a backseat to pure damage numbers, etc.

Not a single one of the issues in that list existed in D:OS1.

I should try DDOS:1, but was pretty tired of turned-based combat after 2. Which is why POE 2, while started, I am still in the first town...

I wonder how many RPGs Larian are working on at the moment?
Well maybe they can make another RPG like Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, but knowing my luck it will probably be another game like D:OS 1&2 instead.

I'm not sure why everyone here seems to think it has to be one or the other. There's no reason why they can't do both. If not simultaneously, they could alternate between the two similar to how Bethesda has alternated between TES and Fallout.

I'd really like to see another epic single-character RPG like Divinty II.

It's a bit different for a studio of their size, though. One failed big project could be curtains. I can see why they'd want to stick to what's working for them, rather than taking a risk on something that may not have done so well in the past. Although, of course, if they do that too long it could also backfire.

They've already had success with multiple types of gameplay. I don't think fear of failure is the reason they stick with one style going forward if that's what they end up doing. I suspect personal preference plays a larger role.

I'd suggest the ultimate goal to dethrone Ultima VII in all areas will probably remain a key inspiration for Larian going forward, given its influence upon their design as far as interactivity goes, to date.

To be honest, I'm having a break from DOS:2 at the moment as I haven't really found its narrative that compelling mid Act II, so arguably there remains plenty of room for improvement on this front. Hopefully I'll get time to dive back in over the term 2 break coming soon.

I'm not sure why everyone here seems to think it has to be one or the other. There's no reason why they can't do both. If not simultaneously, they could alternate between the two similar to how Bethesda has alternated between TES and Fallout.

I'd really like to see another epic single-character RPG like Divinty II.

Absolutely agree. While I do think they're capable of both, it would be nice to see them make a return to their older titles.

I adored Divinity 2.

Isn't Divinity 2 and DKS the same thing, just "enhanced"?
Yes in blunt terms you could call it Divinity 2, but it was actually the third game.
Divinity II is an action role-playing game developed by Larian Studios. Its first release in 2009 was subtitled Ego Draconis, and was published by dtp entertainment and in the United States by cdv Software Entertainment. The updated 2011 re-release The Dragon Knight Saga which included the expansion Flames of Vengeance, as well as the final 2012 release as Divinity II: Developer's Cut, were published by Focus Home Interactive.
The game was released four times.

1. Divinity II: Ego Draconis
  2. Divinity II: Flames of Vengeance Expansion
  3. Divinty II: The Dragon Knight Saga - Combined Both Games
  4. Divinity II: Developer's Cut - Both Games Remastered

The article has been updated:
Update: Bandai Namco shared a little more about what's coming in the Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition today during the Judges Week event at E3. The game's third chapter is being completely overhauled, with rewriting, rescripting, and updated characters, and the journal is also getting an across-the-board rewrite. The map will have placeable markers, and a new "Party Inventory" option will eliminate the need to flip through individual inventory screens to find and move items.

There will also be a new tutorial, updates to the PvP arena, a new Story Mode difficulty setting (which I'm guessing will be similar to the Explorer Mode added to the Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, which simplified combat for players who are more interested in exploration, narrative, non-violent interactions, and all that), and DLC, including "Sir Lorna the Squirrel," a tale of a squirrel struggling with an existential crisis. That will be free for owners of the original as well.

Obviously we'll be hearing more about the Definitive Edition in the future, but it sounds like a major upgrade is on the way. Given the extensive work Larian put into the Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, I'm not surprised—and I'm really looking forward to it.

Well can't answer for him but I hated the combat, companions, and the weak story in D:OS. I haven't played the second but heard it's improved in some of those areas.

It is worst.....First time in my life i turned combat in a game to its lowest level just because I didn't want a 2 hour fight only to die because of something dumb...The game wasn't that interesting to me.

I did enjoy the first one a lot from I can remember but not enough to replay.

Exactly my point. What I kept running into time and time again was having to do fights a specific way to win, with very little variation. If I'm going to do that, I'll fire up Pong instead and have some actual fun.

Back
Top Bottom