Kingmaker - Beta One Arriving 5th April

There's a Wiki up for those interested:

Pathfinder:_Kingmaker_Wiki

Thanks Caddy!

So some more sample shots. Not going to focus on bugs since we all know this is BETA (I did submit a request to not make quest items sell-able though or at least flag them when examined. Messed up two side quests because of that issue).

Someone asked about travel and exploring. So far there seems to be a lot. It isn't like one huge map like in BG (which I tend to like) but more a map an icon moves around on. You have random encounters and sometimes you can evade them. As this image shows there are circles that indicate side paths or directions you can go. When you get to one arrows indicate which way to go. I did a little exploring and often paths take you to places to do things - quest related or otherwise. Some are small but others are very large and take some time to go through (usually the ones with underground areas to get into). Overall been happy with the exploring but I haven't done enough yet to know how extensive it really is - been following a specific questline for the most part and thus not doing a lot of side stuff right now. Plan on doing more exploring though to see what shows up.

I like the way torches light up a place. They use a weapon slot though so if you get into a fight you need to switch from one set to the next. You can have 4 weapon sets from what I can see. So my Ranger, now level 4, has one for bow, one for two swords (dual), and one for a torch.

Some variety to the areas so far - I liked this plant life.

The water looks very nice considering the type of game this is.

Also the fog/mist was pretty cool.

Looking quite impressive for a beta. I play Pathfinder regularly so a faithful CRPG version is awesome.

Are there plans for a construction kit?

I can see sheathed weapons etc… Is your equipped gear displayed in game? I've been playing a lot of NWN:EE lately and the always in hand weapons has always bugged me.

Last edited:
Aye the weapons all display properly - even multiple sets. They sheath and unsheath as well.

Don't know about construction kit.

Aye the weapons all display properly - even multiple sets. They sheath and unsheath as well.

Don't know about construction kit.
From their KS updates, things you equip in quick slots should also show up on character's belts

@wolfgrimdark; : how did you manage to take the screenshot?

I use FRAPS for most of screenshot work with games and it appears to work very well with Kingmager (which also has a hide GUI command although it still leaves the green circles beneath the feet showing).

I see, thanks for letting me know!

I still haven't finished chapter 1 but I think I'm nearly there. Still enjoying it a lot :)

Ok, so I finally finished the beta today (well, all available content so far).

I enjoyed it hell of a lot, loving all the little details!

I played as Magus on the default difficulty (below the core rule).

I found the combat quite challenging - you can't just charge in without tactics and expect to win, especially if there are special/named enemies around. I had to experiment with positioning or try out different buff/debuff spells to make it alive from a number of tough battles. Also, traps can be very deadly…

There are only limited number of potions/scrolls available from merchants and these are VERY expensive. Unfortunately, this mean your party might suffer from permanent curse or illness that you won't be able to get rid of for the most of chapter 1. I ended up getting around this problem by switching out party members without stat damage.

Out of 11 companions, I only met 8. Not sure if other 3 are available in chapter 1 and if I just simply missed them somehow. So far, I really enjoyed having Linzi and Harrim around. I thought I will find both of them boring/annoying, so it was a pleasant surprise. Others are so-so in terms of personality/story, my least favourite so far is Valerie but she is a decent tank, so I had her in my party the whole time. I had both Harrim and Tristian in my party because I love clerics (heals + buffs)! Octavia is also very useful to bring along - she can deal decent amount of damage as both melee and range, plus she can de-trap and find hidden loots :) Amiri can be a killing machine but she is also a bit of a glass cannon and I find her personality rather annoying. I haven't done much with Jaethal due to her "special nature", maybe I will take her around more in another playthrough. I found magus rather underwhelming so not a big fan of Regongar at this point.

I love seeing my companions bond while they are working on their assigned duties at the camp (conversation can be bit of a hit and miss though). The amount of detail that went into this game is simply amazing! If hunters come back empty handed, they will be sitting near the fire doing nothing, while other times they are busy turning meats into rations. You can learn to cook different dishes and companions will get extra buff if you cook their favourite meals! (only wish I can choose my PC's favourite meal too - I love pancakes :(). There is also a chance for you to badly burn the food and the smoke will reveal your camping location to enemies nearby. The only thing I didn't like about camping is that you have to enter the local map either by reaching "marked" areas in the world map or get ambushed during the travel.

IIRC devs said the next part of the beta will be out in early May, so think I might take a break rather than restarting for another run :)

Oh, and those of you who are playing beta, a quick question:

I ended up not exploring the deeper part of Sycamore cave - anyone done this? Is it worth exploring around the darkness? (Yes, I can use light spell for the better vision, but I hated feeling rather blinded, fighting my way through… those acid worms. Suppose I can clear this cave out while I wait for the next part to come out.

Sounds good, thx for sharing with us that don't have the beta.

Back
Top Bottom