Mass Effect: Andromeda - Most Disappointing Game of 2017

"if I decided to get" ;)

I'm still not fully convinced. Maybe after I flip the table while playing KotOR in frustration ;)

Seriously, it's not game of the year or anything.

It depends on what part of ME you like. If you like the "wonder" and mystery coupled with decent exploration and interesting progression, then it's worthwhile.

If you want a polished shooter with a more "profound" narrative - then it's probably not going to fit your bill.

That said, I actually found the combat better and more interesting overall - it's just not as slick and smooth as ME2 or ME3.

It was disappointing to me, but that said, I still enjoyed it. If they got rid of the stupid space tendrils plotline and even the 'Neo-Protheans-without-actually-calling-them-Protheans' stuff, it would have been a better game. But once you design blocky underground tunnel sets, it's hard not to overuse them (see Dragon Age 2).

The characters/companions were still Bioware-level, the planets were beautifully designed (if you can look past the go-kart track layouts) and it still felt like a Mass Effect game to me. There was obviously a huge overreaction by both the fans and EA, and frankly I don't blame them for walking away from it/closing the entire studio, since the damage was done.

I like my computer far too much to ever install Origin or Ubisoft junk on it. I actually pity games that only exist on those platforms, but not nearly enough to ever put such rubbish on my machine. It is the holidays, be kind to your technology, keep the ickies away!!!!

*Much sorrow was endured by clients Origin and uPlay at the thought of being scorned by Carnifex*

IMO both sides are right.

Sometimes I wonder if these games and platforms being cursed to hell and back are backed behind valid reasoning or confirmation bias.

And then I wonder if people damn them to hell so vocally for free karma points.

I don't think Origin is really all that bad. I don't like having my games locked behind DRM, but if something really catches my attention, I'll play it. Simple as that.

The last Mass Effect game I really enjoyed was the first. I wasn't a fan of the second's approach to a more combat focused take on the series, but I did enjoy the story somewhat. The third, well, I don't remember it very well, honestly. The series slowly lost its appeal to me over time. As a result, I don't particularly have a desire to play Andromeda, but Origin certainly isn't to blame for that.

Do the writers of this article see Andromeda as the most disappointing game for them as an invested gamer?

Or do they see Andromeda as the most disappointing game in terms of direction?

I can understand the former. In regards, to direction, though, I think there are much better contenders.

Re UPlay and Origin, there are lots of gamers who object and refuse to use these. It's a question of privacy for many of us. As far as I am concerned, I object to sharing with any company my game playing history and decisions. This is particularly true with Role Playing Games.

The decisions I make in RPGs constitute personal and private information. Neither Ubi nor EA/ Bioware are entitled to collect that info from my IP address.

Ppl who do not protect their own privacy end up without any privacy. It's the nature of the beast.

__

Re UPlay and Origin, there are lots of gamers who object and refuse to use these. It's a question of privacy for many of us. As far as I am concerned, I object to sharing with any company my game playing history and decisions. This is particularly true with Role Playing Games.

The decisions I make in RPGs constitute personal and private information. Neither Ubi nor EA/ Bioware are entitled to collect that info from my IP address.

Ppl who do not protect their own privacy end up without any privacy. It's the nature of the beast.

__

I consider that a pretty legitimate reason for not wanting to use Uplay or Origin (possibly even Steam or GoG's launcher). If it becomes a concern of privacy, I think that's understandable. I'd say that's self explanatory. Everyone should have a right to their own privacy.

But if it's matter of not wanting to use those services because "I won't try them because I've heard they're bad and I am now convinced they are bad", or something along those lines, I don't think that's a logistical reason for not wanting to use it.

I don't understand all the complaints about this game. It wasn't any more buggy than their other games, but I played it after a couple patches.

Nothing groundbreaking, though, although planetary exploration was 1000 times more interesting than any of the ME games.

So yeah, I'm stumped.

I enjoyed the game a whole lot.

I didn't experience or care much at all about what reviewers complained about such as walking or facial animations, and there was so much interesting and fun stuff in the game that I'm stumped it was a disappointment to many. It is a very fun game which I look forward to playing for a second time at some point, something I don't say about all that many other games.

Most disappointing? So sir St-Amour was so naively optimistic to have high expectations about the game? Sigh, he should grow a bit, and stop live in dreamland.

Moreover the title itself is stupid, showing how this sir hasn't yet realize that expectations are illusions and a rather pointless point of view, at best anecdotal. Very lame, really, grow up sir. Nope nobody care of what you was expecting.

Combats, family story, crafting and weapons design, many companions, plus planet without vehicles, and eventually a bit of light private detective mood in few parts. That's it, those aspect are from good to great, and family story is epic. Everything else is from half good to weak. And one more game showing the vehicles/horses are generating weak exploration gameplay.

I don't regret have played it twice, combats are very good, even if in my opinion ME3 has better combats, but MEA achieved a Far Cry 3 style without cloning it.

I believe it's fair to say that many gamers enjoyed the game. As a stand alone ME:A prolly would have achieved a great deal more support and success. Prolly the subject publication should have been titled "… Most Disappointing Series Installment of 2017"

That is the problem IMO. The series. In particular the ending of ME:3. The failure of player agency in ME:3. If ME:3 had had an ending where player choices in the game had made a difference; and the ME:A installment had been just another installment after a satisfying ME:3 ending, things would have been different IMO.

But as it was ME:A came into the game world with a need to justify the 'over the cliff' -- 'death of FemShep/Shepard' ending of ME:3. But it didn't and couldn't do that. It gave no rhyme or reason as to why player agency was abandoned in ME:3.

Long story short. Players were and remain disappointed by ME:3 crash-destroy-wreck ending. ME:A didn't address or justify ME:3 problems. So problem was in how ME:A fit (didn't fit) in the ME series.

Just IMO. And with benefit of 20/20 hindsight (as to how game actually played out with series fans).

__

I enjoyed it for the most part, but agree iot was disappointing in a lot of ways.

Back
Top Bottom