Obsidian Entertainment - [Rumour] Acquisition by Microsoft

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Games Technica reports on a rumour that Microsoft intends to buy Obsidian Entertainment.

According to ResetEra user Obsidian Entertainment Letter-of-intent For An Acquisition by Microsoft has been prepared which means that there are getting ready to finalize the deal.
Now take this info with a grain of salt as this has not been officially confirmed by any party involved in this acquisition but it’s no secret that MS is looking for more studios.
If true this would be a big deal for Xbox owners as this developer with Microsoft backing would sure be capable of delivering great games and Xbox sure need good RPGs.
If I learn more about this I sure will be the first to report on this.
So stay tuned for more.
More information.

Hmm I don't see it....

There are so many developers who are "better" than Obsidian out there and I would think MS will be eyeing them. I doubt anyone on xbox is demanding for Obsidian RPG...

Hmm I don't see it….

There are so many developers who are "better" than Obsidian out there and I would think MS will be eyeing them. I doubt anyone on xbox is demanding for Obsidian RPG…

I think that with the financial backing of Microsoft, we could see more big budget 3d action RPGs from Obsidian which would have more mass appeal.

If true, wouldn't Obsidian need to double in size to appeal to Microsoft, meet deadlines and produce true AAA quality games? At least? The more you dilute, the worse things get. I would think this would be about as devastating as BioWare selling out to EA.

Beside some RPG MS would not care about and a failed attempt at MMO tanks what would they bring?

I really hope this rumor is true and I hope Microsoft buys them.
Because xbone needs exclusives, desperately. With checkpoints only.

I think that with the financial backing of Microsoft, we could see more big budget 3d action RPGs from Obsidian which would have more mass appeal.

Isn't that new label from 2K helping them with the project?

I'm unbiased about this because now xbox games are coming to PC as well so I don't see them making exclusives.

Yes true but I just don't see Obsidian pulling off AAA release even with all the money MS can throw at them. There is certain rough edges to their games which I don't believe any kind of money can fix. I think its indication of others issues at Obsidian.

There are many indie games which deliver certain polish which is lacking in Obsidian games. If they are to move to the big league, they need this polish even in their current games but they don't have it.

I'm unbiased about this because now xbox games are coming to PC as well so I don't see them making exclusives.

MS these days seems to be very keen on PC games too. They are sort of "merging" xbox and PC from what I can see so a MS takeover of any developer is good news for PC gamers too and not just xbox gamers.

MS these days seems to be very keen on PC games too. They are sort of "merging" xbox and PC from what I can see so a MS takeover of any developer is good news for PC gamers too

I will believe it when I see next game from Ninja Theory on PC based on another original idea, not some rehashed stuff.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: Please no, please no... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

It makes a lot of sense for both companies in spite of some of the past history. Obsidian has only ever been as (financial) good as their next game and MS needs reliable, talented studios. MS doesn't have a habit of nurturing those studios though and tends to drop them if things go unexpected. This could give Obsidian the finances they need for polish and promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of KotOR type clone if this works out.

On one hand I heard this rumor before and it was supposed to be EA. On the other hand if true Obsidian did work on a cancelled RPG for Microsoft a years back.

Only downside I foresee is Microsoft will push for their own Universal Windows Platform. So if you hate it now expect to see future Obsidian games on another client.

Last edited:
MS these days seems to be very keen on PC games too. They are sort of "merging" xbox and PC from what I can see so a MS takeover of any developer is good news for PC gamers too and not just xbox gamers.

Don’t let MS fool ya. They’re into the Xbox not pc. Bringing straight ports to their walled garden windows store isn’t for the benefit of pc gaming. They want to turn PCs into glorified xboxes and pc gamers into Xbox gamers.

It’s not a mistake that you can’t uninstall the windows 10 Xbox app without hacking windows.

MS is probably more interested in mobile too and they can't be happy about the lack of quality the universal platform games have when being run on Windows. They can set the agenda better for studios they own. KotOR is a game that worked extremely well on both XBox and PC.

On a positive note, Obsidian sent me an email a few days back that my physical copy of PoEII is on the way!!!

On a positive note, Obsidian sent me an email a few days back that my physical copy of PoEII is on the way!!!
Bout time I guess the update was correct last week.:celebrate:

I can hear The Million Dollar Man laughing right now.

Back
Top Bottom