Windows 7 Service Pack 1

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I just noticed that the first service pack for Windows 7 has been released. Anyone install it yet? I'm rejecting the update until I hear some feedback.

I have it on two of my computers. It's a collection of bugfixes as far as I concern that do absolutely nothing to the user experience.

I have it on two of my computers. It's a collection of bugfixes as far as I concern that do absolutely nothing to the user experience.

When have they ever helped the user it was the same with vista service pack 1. I couldn't play some games after installing it.

If you had your win7 regularily updated since you've installed it, you don't need to apply SP1. It only contains all those fixes in one bundle. So installing SP1 is practically an option only if you install fresh Win7 - you get all fixes at once instead of downloading one by one.

Gameplay issues… Wizard101 (cardtrading MMO) didn't work with Win7 SP1 for couple of months, but did work on "normally" updated Win7.
But ok, they've patched it later so now it works.

Dunno about other games. Sorry.

Thanks. I didn't know the service pack had been available that long. It just appeared on my Windows updater yesterday.

You should, generally, keep your OS up to date. Install it.

You should, generally, keep your OS up to date. Install it.
+1

Besides if it's like Vista, you'll need to have SP1 to install SP2. In case of XP you couldn't install SP3 if you didn't had install SP2. In case of 2000 it didn't matter, you could only install the last one without needing any of the previous. With Win7, I really don't know what is the path that M$ will follow, but it doesn't harm to install it. So go ahead.

I updated a couple weeks back and notice no difference. Win7 was stable before and it's still stable (for me).

If you had your win7 regularily updated since you've installed it, you don't need to apply SP1.
That doesn't sound right at all. Windows releases all sorts of "hotfixes" that are only lightly tested and given out only to users who specifically seek them out to fix specific problems. When Microsoft does a service pack, they take all these fixes (along with all the other updates), put them all together, and test the whole thing. If you skip SP1 you will miss those hotfixes.

Another happy customer. I've kept my Win7 x64 box generally updated (once every 2-3 weeks I let it update) and have had no issues with the updates. One update has not been able to install at all successfully but nothing has caused unwanted issues.

Also agree with Zloth on that microsoft does not tend to release many minor or highly specific hotfix patches until they release a full SP.

Me too. I have to say win 7 64-bit has been working really well so far... not a single crash yet.

I have to say that Windows 7 really have been the most pleasent windows I met. There really aren't that many things I would like out of a Windows 8, except maybe better support for other processors so that we can have less battery use.

I have to say that Windows 7 really have been the most pleasent windows I met. There really aren't that many things I would like out of a Windows 8, except maybe better support for other processors so that we can have less battery use.

A task bar with more than one line of symbols if put on the right or left hand side of the screen. That's my main complaint. :)

A task bar with more than one line of symbols if put on the right or left hand side of the screen. That's my main complaint. :)

Oh. I agree on that.

I have actually begun moving the taskbar around recently. After being a more frequent user of widescreen displays I ended up feeling that having the taskbar in the bottom wasted too much space. Actually, when computers have one of it's primary use to compose documents in portrait mode, widescreens are kinda stupid in general.

Oh. I agree on that.

I have actually begun moving the taskbar around recently. After being a more frequent user of widescreen displays I ended up feeling that having the taskbar in the bottom wasted too much space. Actually, when computers have one of it's primary use to compose documents in portrait mode, widescreens are kinda stupid in general.

Yeah, but what I like in widescreen is working witch excel (far better), almost every CAD software and calculation and engineering programs. All of them profit from widescreen monitors. Also I like to be able to work on a word document on one half of the screen and have something else displayed on the other half.

God, I just love widescreen monitors.

Back
Top Bottom