Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Most Promising RPG

Mass Effect has never really a hit in the Watch crowd has it? I assume many have played them, but never have I heard anyone here claiming them to be among their favorite RPG experiences.
Me! Me! :D
The things that make ME great for me though perhaps don't qualify as classic RPG features. So for me it's perfectly understandable that in this community ME is not the favorite.

I'm personally very much looking for TOP 5 and Expeditions Vikings.

It's a pretty good list - and makes me feel a lot better about 2017's prospects versus a rather poor 2016. I could quibble with a few selections and positions but I'm not in a quibbling mood.

Interesting. Sounds like there isn't much love for Mass Effect, anymore. 4th seems a bit low to me for an RPG forum. One bad ending and everyone jumps ship… Or has it been the less-than-intriguing preview vids?
Mass Effect games aren't really RPG's in the traditional sense anymore. More like story-driven shooters with a few choices to be made and very light RPG elements.

Also, as mentioned in the thread already, what's been shown about Mass Effect: Andromeda so far leaves absolutely nothing to be excited about.

I think it's more about those two issues, and not the ending thing.

Matches my top 3 too. On Mass Effect I enjoyed the games a lot but don't consider the franchise an RPG franchise at all. I don't get too excited about any of the big AAA releases anymore for some reason and I'm perfectly happy to wait for the game of the year edition of whatever game it is since I know it will be at least a year until all planned content is released and possibly another year before I can grab the lot for a fiver. My only weakness would be new releases from Bethesda because despite many flaws in their games I'm an exploring junkie. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonoured 2 and so on are games I would have snapped up on day one in the past but not anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old.

*edit - quick question on Elex. Is that a new morality system or an actual morale system? Not being a grammar nazi just genuinely interesed.

Interesting. Sounds like there isn't much love for Mass Effect, anymore. 4th seems a bit low to me for an RPG forum. One bad ending and everyone jumps ship… Or has it been the less-than-intriguing preview vids?

The game comes 4th out of 40 in the year that a sequel to Planescape Torment is going to be released and there's a new Larian game and you surmise "there isn't much love for Mass Effect anymore"...

I honestly don't know what to say... :x

Andromeda is going to be played, the others maybe. Andromeda will move up the priority list in long backlogs.

*edit - quick question on Elex. Is that a new morality system or an actual morale system? Not being a grammar nazi just genuinely interesed.
As far as I know it is a moral system and not a morale system.

Andromeda is going to be played, the others maybe. Andromeda will move up the priority list in long backlogs.
Not by me. If I find the time, I'll only manage play the editors' top 3.

1. Persona 5
2. BattleTech
3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

I was a bit surprised by that as well. For me, Planescape and ME: A basically trade places. It's not that my expectations for ME: A are through the roof; it's simply that the potential (based more on the Andromeda Initiative videos than the trailers) is exceptionally high. It might very well be a dud, drowned in special effects and flashy combat, but if it captures even some of that Star Trek magic..

ME:A may turn out to be a decent enough game, doesn't mean it'll be a good RPG though. In fact, personally, I'd say we pretty much already know it won't be much of an RPG.

ME:A may turn out to be a decent enough game, doesn't mean it'll be a good RPG though. In fact, personally, I'd say we pretty much already know it won't be much of an RPG.

Depends on the definition of an RPG, which is something we still haven't managed to agree on around here after 15 years or something like that (since the days of RPGDot). For me, it's simply down to C&C + character development. I have a harder time calling Oblivion an RPG than ME3, because it has virtually no real C&C at all: Your only real choice is whether or not to do a quest; you never have any say in how it's done.

I probably could agree with you on that actually, always saw the Elder Scrolls games as more hiking simulators than RPG's. But they do stick to a much more traditional "RPG" model than the newer ME games, like still having stats (until Skyrim) and skills and loot and so forth, so superficially they seem more RPG'ish I guess. Neither series (ME or ES) is really my idea of what an RPG should be. But as you said, everyone's got their own ideas on that, and that's just mine.

I probably could agree with you on that actually, always saw the Elder Scrolls games as more hiking simulators than RPG's. But they do stick to a much more traditional "RPG" model than the newer ME games, like still having stats (until Skyrim) and skills and loot and so forth, so superficially they seem more RPG'ish I guess. Neither series (ME or ES) is really my idea of what an RPG should be. But as you said, everyone's got their own ideas on that, and that's just mine.
True! I forgot about the loot aspect. There should at least be some of that in an RPG.

True! I forgot about the loot aspect. There should at least be some of that in an RPG.

It really depends how it is implemented, IMO. Too many RPGs go overboard with the amount of junk you have to find and deal with. In a fantasy RPG I love finding unique magic items that have special bonuses and lore behind them...

What I don't love is having to smash thousands of crates, barrels, and chests to accumulate garbage to craft or sell to potentially buy something not completely useless. Magic items become less magical if you can't walk a step without tripping over a +1 sword of mediocrity. D:OS is a perfect example of how not to do loot... There's a ridiculous amount, there's often little difference between the equipment you find, it's randomized and a huge pain in the ass to constantly sort your inventory for tiny bonuses. WL2 is the post-apocalyptic version of that.

If my choice is between a bloated loot system and no loot system I'll take no loot.

It really depends how it is implemented, IMO. Too many RPGs go overboard with the amount of junk you have to find and deal with. In a fantasy RPG I love finding unique magic items that have special bonuses and lore behind them…

What I don't love is having to smash thousands of crates, barrels, and chests to accumulate garbage to craft or sell to potentially buy something not completely useless. Magic items become less magical if you can't walk a step without tripping over a +1 sword of mediocrity. D:OS is a perfect example of how not to do loot… There's a ridiculous amount, there's often little difference between the equipment you find, it's randomized and a huge pain in the ass to constantly sort your inventory for tiny bonuses. WL2 is the post-apocalyptic version of that.

If my choice is between a bloated loot system and no loot system I'll take no loot.

Absolutely agree. Another great example is Mass Effect 1. To completely remove it wasn't probably the best solution. But it was a solution.

I forsee Cave of Sorrows to be a great and enjoyable game. As far as the loot system goes we strive to put a lot into it. We want people to feel rewarded when they get something good.

Back
Top Bottom