ATOM RPG - Preview @ Cliqist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Cliqist checked out the ATOM RPG:

Nostalgia Bait Sucks, Except When Atom RPG Brings Back The Real Fallout

If there’s two things I hate in the gaming industry today that everyone else loves, it’s Bethesda and nostalgia. Bethesda has a long record of suing indie developers over spurious copyright claims while pretending to be the victim. Meanwhile they’ve been ruining Fallout and The Elder Scrolls with bland, boring, and two dimensional gameplay and have somehow convinced people they’re still great. And let’s not forget their refusal to work with video game critics, refusing to send out review copies ahead of time so that pre-orderers don’t cancel when critics rake their games of the coals.

And nostalgia. Nostalgia has become a crutch for modern indie game development. Can’t art? Don’t hire an artist, just draw some squares and call it pixel art! Can’t music? Just bang some pots and pans together, record it with a dollar store microphone, and call it classic 8-bit music! Don’t know how to gameplay? Just make a 2D platformer and call it a fan-made, spiritual successor to Boogerman and people won’t be able to pay you fast enough.

Humph, I say.

[...]
More information.

"And nostalgia. Nostalgia has become a crutch for modern indie game development. Can’t art? Don’t hire an artist, just draw some squares and call it pixel art! Can’t music? Just bang some pots and pans together, record it with a dollar store microphone, and call it classic 8-bit music! Don’t know how to gameplay? Just make a 2D platformer and call it a fan-made, spiritual successor to Boogerman and people won’t be able to pay you fast enough."

Amen! :mad:

Obviously, I didn't click the link but the dude is butt hurt bad from Bethesda not giving him free stuff. Poor baby. Anybody know where I can ship him a pacifier?

One man's nostalgia is another man's 'retro'. On one hand he knocks nostalgia while waxing poetic about harking back to bygone game-play days as 'retro'.

Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb. You stand there like a dead tree and wait to get clobbered. Then you spent 10 minutes deciding whether to use your Sword+2, Fire Bow, or Electric Storm spell on some waiting victim. I leapt for joy when real time combat appeared.

And no, I'm not a console gamer, hand-held smart phone gamer, online gamer, social gamer, team gamer, strategy, RTS, FPS -- whatever. I'm almost 70 and have played CRPGs since 1980.

Give me single-player, real time combat, third person games any time.

This guy is my kind of crotchety!

Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb.
When exactly was this? The first Atari console had real-time gameplay, all the way back to Pong.

You're correct on Pong. Played it in bars. I'm talking RPGs specifically. Sorry if I got a bit 'soap boxy'.

Obviously, I didn't click the link but the dude is butt hurt bad from Bethesda not giving him free stuff. Poor baby. Anybody know where I can ship him a pacifier?

I think he has some good points but the language he uses makes it very hard to take him seriously.

You're correct on Pong. Played it in bars. I'm talking RPGs specifically. Sorry if I got a bit 'soap boxy'.

NP. I'm the opposite. Last "action" RPG I played was Gothic 3. It's all turn-based for me, baby!

Even when all there was in gaming was turn-based play, I disliked it and thought it was dumb. You stand there like a dead tree and wait to get clobbered. Then you spent 10 minutes deciding whether to use your Sword+2, Fire Bow, or Electric Storm spell on some waiting victim. I leapt for joy when real time combat appeared.

And no, I'm not a console gamer, hand-held smart phone gamer, online gamer, social gamer, team gamer, strategy, RTS, FPS -- whatever. I'm almost 70 and have played CRPGs since 1980.

Give me single-player, real time combat, third person games any time.

Nice creds my man.

I too prefer real time combat but I also like turn base. Even Today. Think back in the day when you had to do your own game maps. Or there were puzzles you actually had to put together from your . . . . notes. Or when you had to walk over to the cassette player to change the music. Or when you had to swap floppies when you were entering a new area. Turn base was kind of necessary back in the day.

This old tyme message brought to you by Manny's Weed and Feed. When them mangy young'uns keep a trampling your lawn, you need clod protection.

Makes no difference if its day or dawn
Hey your creeps, get off my lawn!

Nice creds my man.

I too prefer real time combat but I also like turn base. Even Today. Think back in the day when you had to do your own game maps. Or there were puzzles you actually had to put together from your . . . . notes. Or when you had to walk over to the cassette player to change the music. Or when you had to swap floppies when you were entering a new area. Turn base was kind of necessary back in the day.

This old tyme message brought to you by Manny's Weed and Feed. When them mangy young'uns keep a trampling your lawn, you need clod protection.

Makes no difference if its day or dawn
Hey your creeps, get off my lawn!

Oh, yeah. I recall mapping with 1/4 inch graph paper to find my way around mazes, marking chutes, teleporters, and traps. Good old perma-death. Get a good character going and *Zap!*, Balrog encountered! You've taken 32,767 hits!
Roll up another Pud.

Back
Top Bottom