Help me remember an old DOS RPG game. (Ultima-like?)

SuperStalin

Traveler
Hello,

This is something I've been struggling for a few years(!). I remember I used to play an RPG game around 1999-2000. I believe it ran on DOS.

Gameplay:
I'm not exactly sure, but I *THINK* the gameplay was rogue-like. I'm not 100% sure here! I would move with the arrow keys, and just "move" into the direction of enemies until they were killed. It had a gold system that I could buy things with(?). The game had NO party system, and NO 3D-Dungeon mode. The starting map is very green, with a castle and trees near you. I think it also had Ultima-style menu screen, where you press the buttons to select them: (S)tart, (C)reate, etc. But then again, maybe not...

Graphics:
Pretty DOS-y. Top down 2D. I remember green, and the text "GOLD" being there somewhere. The "avatar" you play as is what I remember most vivedly. It looks similar to the Avatar in Ultima 1, 2 and 3. The sword graphic on the avatar is rather long, almost like a sabre. It was also carrying a shield. The avatar graphic was static, I think. Another thing I remember vividly is that the avatar was long, unlike the avatars in Ultima.
ulava.jpg

It looks very similar to the Ultima Avatar... But the character is longer (Vertically) and the sword is much longer and curvier.

The game wasn't one exe file, it had a bunch of files. Also, the entire game fit onto a floppy. I remember doing this.

Some of you may think that it's a remake (or an original) of Ultima. You may be right, but I tried Ultima 1-4, and they are very similar, but were not it. The game I played had no party system (you were solo).

So, can anyone help me out with this? This has been driving me mad for the past few years.

Please help me remember!

Last edited:
I don't know what it is but the first RPG I ever played was Questron 2 which is somewhat like you described. But that was around 1987-1990.

It sounds a bit like Ys to me.

List of almost all CRPG's!

Assuming you would recognize the title of the game if you saw it, you can probably find it at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_computer_role-playing_games

These are chronological lists of CRPS by decade. They are extensive, but not really exhaustive. I recall a mediocre old game called "Prophecy" which does not seem to be there, but it may have been a renamed remake of some other game.

Of that list, I saw nothing that i recognized with that style that was as detailed as you described. I seem to recall a similar game as well; but I'm not sure. It's not on my hard drive, but that don't mean I didn't have it on my C64 at one point. I had over 500 games for that thing.

I'm going to cry about my poor C64 now. Works fine, but the disks are all shot to hell.

Ok, if it is isometric, the Dusk of the Gods or The Summoning both might be what your thinking of. Both use the same engine, by SSI and Mindscape IIRC. It's an isometric view RPG.

I don't have any other DOS games that may fit, offhand. I have party based games, but no solo that are strictly top down besides Ultima.

I had that for the C64. I was pretty young, but enjoyed it (though I never finished it).

Looking for the same game, possibly called Excalibur?...

Hello,

This is something I've been struggling for a few years(!). I remember I used to play an RPG game around 1999-2000. I believe it ran on DOS.

Gameplay:
I'm not exactly sure, but I *THINK* the gameplay was rogue-like. I'm not 100% sure here! I would move with the arrow keys, and just "move" into the direction of enemies until they were killed. It had a gold system that I could buy things with(?). The game had NO party system, and NO 3D-Dungeon mode. The starting map is very green, with a castle and trees near you. I think it also had Ultima-style menu screen, where you press the buttons to select them: (S)tart, (C)reate, etc. But then again, maybe not…

Graphics:
Pretty DOS-y. Top down 2D. I remember green, and the text "GOLD" being there somewhere. The "avatar" you play as is what I remember most vivedly. It looks similar to the Avatar in Ultima 1, 2 and 3. The sword graphic on the avatar is rather long, almost like a sabre. It was also carrying a shield. The avatar graphic was static, I think. Another thing I remember vividly is that the avatar was long, unlike the avatars in Ultima.
ulava.jpg

It looks very similar to the Ultima Avatar… But the character is longer (Vertically) and the sword is much longer and curvier.

The game wasn't one exe file, it had a bunch of files. Also, the entire game fit onto a floppy. I remember doing this.

Some of you may think that it's a remake (or an original) of Ultima. You may be right, but I tried Ultima 1-4, and they are very similar, but were not it. The game I played had no party system (you were solo).

So, can anyone help me out with this? This has been driving me mad for the past few years.

Please help me remember!

I believe I am searching for the exact same game. I played around 1998-2001 (we got our first pc in 1997). I have looked through 100s of games that are similar (from forums to game lists, abandonware, even downloaded a few emulations) but still have not found it. I have been searching for a few years on and off. I have even looked thorugh alot of my old CDROMS from that era but to no avail.

It played very similar to ultima 1, similar graphic style, top down view, you could enter buildings and buy items etc. but like you said basic 'move in the direction of the mob and then continue with the direction button to attack' then they would drop a pile of gold or an item, or both and you pressed the direction button to pick it up. I remember you loaded in near a castle/town which you could enter ultima style, it was a very green map, there were very basic dungons you could enter but they were hard to see/play and full black background (form memory), I remember not liking them but I did like exploring the map and visiting the towns. I remmeber a big town I used to go to when I went west then south, it was near water. The avatar looked similar to ultima and most of the mobs encountered at the start were like white skeletons (?), the starting game screen sounds the same as you mentioned. In my memory the game was called Excalibur, or something to do with that, but I am yet to find anything on google, forums, old game sites.

I believe I had the game on CDROM, it came on a shareware disk or a disk with other games. I do not believe I had it on floppy (even though I did have others on floppy, though it would have been small enough to fit on one I believe). The game ran on my old 486. I do believe I ran it from an .exe file though. I believe the .exe file was called excalibur.exe but I am not 100% sure.

I am not sure if you are apart of this forum anymore, but did you, or anyone else!, ever find the game you were searching for?

Deathtrap Dungeon ?
Stonekeep ?

Wow, this was quite a thread-res.

But I had to participate as Stonekeep was mentioned.

I loooooove that game.

Though I do hate the absurdly low FPS lock.

Back
Top Bottom