Phoenix Point - Launch Trailer and PC Requirements

And did you find heaven, earth or hell ?

Too early to tell just played the tutorial and 1 mission. It definitely gives an Xcom feel, it looks as though the combat may be deeper though ( not sure yet).

The fit and finish is probably a bit below Xcom, animations and transitions aren’t as smooth and the voice acting isn’t great but nothing terrible either.

Enemies are cool, targeting specific body parts is nice. So your able to disable weapons or limbs even if you don’t kill the target. It may be a little off though as I had a member of my team with a disabled torso but it didn’t affect movement or abilities at all. Not sure if it’s a problem or isolated bug.

All I can say after such a short time is that I want to continue playing and I’ve played games for less time that I’ve wanted to quit.

Yeah, PC Gamer said there's some annoying bugs but nothing really game-killing. The AI can go mad from time to time, too, and the reviewer really wasn't happy with anything audio. He still liked it quite a bit, though, because of the neat things they did.

I would wait for the first major patch as the release version is incomplete. This is according to a developer post that admitted some of the UI sounds are missing.

Game in 2019 released unfinished? Such a shock! Huge shock I tell ya!

Not really a shock just disappointing once again.:brood:

Quite a weak start on the streaming scene. Expected something else.

Expecting streamers to somewhat show some respect but no, streamers started their run on legendary, not hero difficulty level (no iron man at the moment, a good thing since iron man demands a killing bug free version)

And this from streamers who did not play the backer builds. Basic information like the attribute system, the damage system are ignored. This does not prevent them from doing well.

This is the state of CRPG UgoIgo systems: so generic it needs nothing to succeed but loose notions on UgoIgo.

This product adds nothing at the moment. Story is wired. Execution is sub par (unnneededly added animations are not properly executed, when they play, shooting views are often obstructed)

Fireaxis XCOM remains the reference.

What is with your strange obsession about streaming over actual gameplay?
Once again, watching streams followed a request from this site when this site deemed that reporting from personal experience was not enough.

Do you no longer play games
No. Anything vid product is not a game. And to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, one second not wasted playing a vid product is one second earned to spend on playing a game.

Spending 10 hours on this vid product will teach nothing that can not be learned watching streamers for a couple of hours.
but instead just watch others and pretend it is the same? It is really bizarre.

Nothing as bizarre as playing vid products made for streamers without streaming them.

Vid products made for streamers are better being streamed or watched being streamed.

This is er what shall we say - a warp interpretation by yourself and yourself alone - not a factual truth.

Question - does he actually read posts here, or watch a video of someone else reading them. Because as we know, actual reading is inferior to watching someone else read. :D

I put the borked AI on ignore years ago. Best thing I've done on the site.

I think it's waaay too early to give Firaxis the win …and this is coming from someone who has spent probably 1000 hours playing XCOM 1/2 (the new ones). The ability to move, shoot, move in one turn, aim between obstructions to hit a smidge of an exposed body part, world exploration that makes sense-- and of course vehicles-- gives this a lot more replayability IMO.

…but it's a little buggy and it needs more content. The minor things XCOM has need to be brought in, especially troop customization, "not created equal", larger and more diverse maps, etc can all be added with DLC.

I believe Phoenix Point can be king. In time.

To me Xcom was basically unplayable due to their simplified combat system. So for me personally no matter how bad Phoenix Point works, Firaxis XCom cannot be superior ^^

This is er what shall we say - a warp interpretation by yourself and yourself alone - not a factual truth.

Failing to exclusively interpret monetization as microtransactions makes things possible.

Because as we know, actual reading is inferior to watching someone else read. :D
We are supposedly superior minded people. Simple minded people might not feel part of the club.

As to reading, someone reading aloud a text would be an analogy. But this would lead to consider voice actors and the so called RPGers'lust for having a socalled RPG fully voiced over.

So better not to dig too deep.

I put the borked AI on ignore years ago. Best thing I've done on the site.

Such an honour to have contributed to this best thing done on the site.

I think it's waaay too early to give Firaxis the win …and this is coming from someone who has spent probably 1000 hours playing XCOM 1/2 (the new ones). The ability to move, shoot, move in one turn, aim between obstructions to hit a smidge of an exposed body part, world exploration that makes sense-- and of course vehicles-- gives this a lot more replayability IMO.

This product, contrary to expectations, had a slow streaming start. Way under what XCOM 2 or even XCOM had.

Replayability is biased by the release of DLCs. This will get (re)played on the sole offer of DLCs. On its own, though, replayability is limited. Even streamers whose job favours multiple runs may not give this product that many runs.

Additions at the moment are superficial. They do not structure decision making.

After watching streamers play XCOM, XCOM 2 and this one, they have not changed one bit their overall approach.

Streamers'approach vary one from another, a matter of personal preferences, they addresses a situation this way, another streamer addresses it another way.

This product allows them to keep to their XCOM ways. A streamer does not change his way to play for this product. They play it as they played XCOM/2.

Streamers keep their differences one from another. They did not play XCOM 2 the same way. But, in spite of all so called additions, a streamer does not change his way of doing. They play it as another XCOM.

None of the additions actually leads to a change in a strategical approach.
One example, the ability of hurting limbs and the decision making associated to it still is governed by the equivalent of comparing hit chances one to another.

Players do not choose to hurt an arm or a leg in order to deprive an enemy of its firepower, its mobility etc They choose it because, compared to other options, this one is the best in terms of damage etc
Just like in XCOM players might favour a high chance hit over a smaller chance hit.

The same strategical pattern redressed.

Downloading it now, I'll skip watching streams and do something crazy and try it myself. :biggrin:
Watch out, we got a badass over here!

What is with your strange obsession about streaming over actual gameplay? Do you no longer play games but instead just watch others and pretend it is the same? It is really bizarre.
Didn't spot this before… I've actually asked not him really but myself all these questions about a year ago.
There is a case where one can't play games and can't write stuff on the standard keyboard. While I did mock Chien a few times afterwards, it wasn't (hopefully) mean, just a slight trolling.

Anyhow, stream vs play can never be even similar. Whatever he means by a word not existing in any dictionary, ugoigo, some things just can't be.

Once a game is installed on PC, it's you who'll mess with the missionary man… oops… I mean with ingame settings and apply potential mods. Okay, let's be reasonable, not mods but only one mod. Nude mod.
Then you'll go grinding because you're not getting anyone else bored but only yourself, you'll go savescum/checkpointscum because why not, you'll go cheating because of not remappable keys in pisspoor ports, you'll take a pause for toilet, eating, comics reading, netflix, etc.
Because you're not paid to play, you play for fun. Which means you choose your pace, no reason to stall the game.

I have no idea in what world a paid job is equal to having fun. In mine it is not.

O, RPGWatch members are the best, we behave exemplary - most of the times. :)
The ones that you don’t see, the newly registered, are the ones that demand 99% of my attention.

Because you're not paid to play, you play for fun. Which means you choose your pace, no reason to stall the game.

Streamers play a vid product the pace they want. Some have completed a campaign already, others have restarted in the middle etc

They organize their show.
I have no idea in what world a paid job is equal to having fun. In mine it is not.

Core of streaming business is to show themselves as having fun.

Back
Top Bottom