All Walls Must Fall - Now on Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
All Walls Must Fall - a Tech-Noir Tactics Game is now on Kickstarter:

Berlin November 2089

The Cold War never ended. For 150 years both sides have used time manipulation technology to observe and counter each other’s every move. Now this fragile state of affairs is approaching a breaking point, as a rogue nuclear strike will send the world into turmoil. Both sides have scrambled to send agents back in time to find who is behind the attack and how to prevent it. If they fail, the whole world will turn to ash, forever.

All Walls Must Fall is an isometric tactics game where actions happen to the pulsing beat of the music. You control time travelling secret agents as they jump and loop through a single night in the city of Berlin. Using a pausable real-time system, carefully plan your decisions and use powerful time manipulation abilities to your advantage, as you carry out your mission in the shadows or in plain sight. Levels are procedurally recombined using a bespoke system developed by inbetweengames, giving All Walls Must Fall a highly replayable campaign structure, while still offering individually crafted components and set-pieces.

All Walls Must Fall
takes inspiration from genre classics like X-Com, Syndicate and REZ, as well more recent indie games like The Banner Saga, Braid, SUPERHOT and Crypt of the Necrodancer.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Watched the video and got interested, perhaps I should back.

Read the copy, "pausable real-time system", then again perhaps not.

Second good looking game in the last week that should have been turn-based (Wartile was the other). I wish them luck, game just won't be for me.

BooOooring.. skip ... video parts skip ... skip ... skip ... skip ...

When I watched the Kickstarter video and they played the trailer I already thought "WoW, cool music and atmosphere" and when they then explained the Game Design it got even more interesting: The game is pausable realtime but the real time is made up of turns. And these turns are synchronized with the music. That way, on each beat of the music one turn moves on. Sounds quite interesting and I think that can give a very unique vibe when playing it.

With just 13€ as minimum pledge, that was a no brainer for me.

Watched the video and got interested, perhaps I should back.

Read the copy, "pausable real-time system", then again perhaps not.

Second good looking game in the last week that should have been turn-based (Wartile was the other). I wish them luck, game just won't be for me.

I think it strongly depends on what you dislike about RTwP.
I strongly dislike it as well, but basically because you are just hammering pause 10 times in 2 seconds.
But in this game this seems to work a little differently and might not have the disadvantage other RTwP games have.

I strongly dislike it as well, but basically because you are just hammering pause 10 times in 2 seconds.
But in this game this seems to work a little differently and might not have the disadvantage other RTwP games have.

So yeah we had a lot of debate about how to describe the gameplay system :D It's arguably more simultaneous turns than pausable real-time, but the thing is each "turn" is rather fast, being a beat of the music (actually, we split each beat into 4 units), and most actions take several of these "turns". So while your guy might be doing a 2-unit pistol-tap, an enemy might be in the middle of a 16-unit reload. So to try and make it a bit simpler to describe, we went with pausable real-time.

The thing is, the player doesn't actively pause and un-pause the game, so there's no constant hammering of the pause button like Baldur's Gate or something. We played around a lot in the early days with different ways of doing this, including some pretty crazy things where the game constantly looped a section of time, and ones where you were adjusting a plan that you had to then execute. But in the end we're pretty happy with what we wound up with. Basically the game pauses when you're thinking about what to do, and when you've given an order that order plays out, so the game unpauses to do so.

So yeah, maybe we could've come up with better ways of explaining things, but it's our first time writing marketing blurbs :) I actually have a couple of blog posts ready to go, that go into more detail on this system and also how our time manipulation abilities work. Those will probably go up in the next week or so as the kickstarter continues.

I'm happy to go into more detail if anyone has more questions though here first

Cheers,
Isaac
inbetweengames

But... but I voted for walls!

Your post appeared, so I hope your forum problem is solved.

Back
Top Bottom