Phoenix Point - Julian Gollop AMA

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
On Reddit Julian Gollop did an AMA focused on Phoenix Point.

We have been developing the game for 10 months now and I have a lot to talk about - however, I can't talk about everything since we are still in discussion with several parties about potential funding for the project. I will do my best to answer everything though.

JulianGollop

That's a mammoth question-and-a-half! Phoenix Point has several standout features - such as procedurally generated aliens, large scale monsters. However, I think the biggest difference is in how the world works. Phoenix Point is definitely more 4X-like - with exploration, discovery, expansion, diplomacy. The human factions are just as important as the aliens. They have resources, tech - and secrets - which would be valuable to you. I am taking some inspiration from X-COM Apocalypse here - but applied to a world scale. The aliens and human factions would do stuff - events would happen - even if the player doesn't intervene. This is something I have been wanting to implement in a game for a long time. I am also really happy about the modern Lovecraftian vibe the writing team are creating.

JulianGollop

There will be a faction rather similar to the Cult of Sirius in Phoenix Point.
[...]

codadun

Hi Julian, How have you planned to strike a balance between meaningful and diverse variation of mutated forms without creating an overwhelming number of perks and buffs to remember? Forgetting one vertebrae-centipede is immune to fire, or is capable of infrared vision compared to its vanilla cousin, and so on. Best of luck on the project funding!

JulianGollop

Good question. A specific alien does not have a large number of abilities and generally the aliens will retire old versions completely before introducing new mutations. At any time there won't be a lot of different mutations around. The basic evolutionary rule the aliens use is that if a particular alien is not performing well, it will be mutated. If an alien is performing well, then more of them will be deployed - until the player figures out how to deal with them.

JulianGollop

The current system we have is something a bit in between. There is an implicit AP system, but the presentation looks like the modern Firaxis XCOM with an 'action zone' and a 'dash zone'. The action zone may be bigger or smaller depending on the weapon or equipment chosen. Your moves can be interrupted on spotting an enemy or taking a hit - and you can react as you see fit. A major feature of the system that a character's 'willpower' rating gives you will points, which you spend on certain special actions. There is also a hit location system with disabling wounds to different parts of the body having different effects. This is quite cool actually - especially when you shoot an alien's gun or shield of its wounded arm.
[...]
More information.

Good to see Julian is till in the game dev scene after the disappointment of Chaos: reborn.

Seriously, this man is a legend, when it comes to designing small-squad tactical wargames.

There are some good ideas and Im pretty optimistic about it.I wonder if some human factions could side with aliens etc. I hope it will be the best modern XCom.

Good to see Julian is till in the game dev scene after the disappointment of Chaos: reborn.

Seriously, this man is a legend, when it comes to designing small-squad tactical wargames.

I haven't tried Chaos Reborn but I thought a lot people were enjoying it? Reviews on Steam seem mostly pretty good.

I always like to hear X-COM Apocalypse mentioned. It's vastly underrated, if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom