GWENT: The Witcher Card Game - Available on Steam

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The card-based RPG GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is available on Steam now:

GWENT: The Witcher Card Game

Join in The Witcher universe's favorite card game -- available for free! Blending the CCG and TCG genres, GWENT sees you clash in fast-paced online PvP duels that combine bluffing, on-the-fly decision making and careful deck construction. Collect and command Geralt, Yennefer and other iconic Witcher-world heroes. Grow your collectible arsenal with spells and special abilities that dramatically turn the tide of battle. Use deception and clever tricks in your strategy to win the fight in classic, seasonal and Arena modes. Play GWENT: The Witcher Card Game for free now!

FREE TO PLAY THAT'S WORTH YOUR TIME

A fair and fun progression system turns the effort of building a competitive collection of cards into pure pleasure -- simply collect new cards to build decks with as you play GWENT; no strings attached.

STUNNING, ALL ACROSS THE BOARD
Beautiful, hand-drawn art and mesmerizing visual effects breathe life into every card, battle and battlefield, making GWENT fun to play and every duel a joy to watch.

SKILL BEATS LUCK
Crush the enemy with brute strength or outsmart them with clever tricks -- no matter your deck, GWENT's unique round-based gameplay opens up a world of strategic possibilities to play with when fighting for victory.

MORE THAN ONE WAY TO PLAY

Whether it's a quick online game against a friend, a highly competitive PvP challenge, or something new and wildly adventurous like the Arena, GWENT's selection of game modes has got you covered.

EASILY SATISFYING, ANYTHING BUT EASY

Sling cards from your deck across two tactically distinct rows -- melee and ranged. Gather more points in the duel against your opponent to win a round. Win two out of three rounds to win the battle. It won't be easy, but no one said it should be.

NO HOLDING BACK, NO HOLDING HANDS
You start with 10 cards from your deck in hand, able to play each card right from the start. It's up to you to open the game with your strongest unit, or save the best for later in the fight. How will your deck look and what will your strategy be?
More information.

There was a single-player campaign as well, right ?

Edit : Found it : It's called Thronebreaker ...
And its price is currently lower on Steam than on GOG ... Ends 1st of June, though ...

This game totally slipped through my memory …

Gwent is pretty good compared to other Mini-Games in RPGs. But.

Thronebreaker is just… not very good. The idea is not totally bad, the story line seems passable (including well done characters), and the card game parts are even somewhat fun/challenging. But everything related to gameplay beyond the card game itself feels very uninspired.

It's a mixed bag.

(I'm not into multiplayer Gwent at all, so can't judge that part.)

Thronebreaker has nothing much to do with the Gwent you know form Witcher. Was quite a bummer...

I loved Thronebreaker! I would personally highly recommend it. It's a real shame it didn't do very well as I would absolutely want to play a sequel.

I don't fancy PVP GWENT though, so will be skipping this.

Daniel.

Unfortunately, you cannot install the game from your steam client and just play it. When I started the game, it gave me an infinite loading screen. Why? Because you're required to link your steam account with your GOG account in order for it to work. Without the link, the game just sits there...awesome.

I loved Thronebreaker! I would personally highly recommend it. It's a real shame it didn't do very well as I would absolutely want to play a sequel.

I don't fancy PVP GWENT though, so will be skipping this.

Daniel.

It is not a bad game, but the Gwent in Thronbreaker has nothing to do with the Gwent in Witcher 3. In Thronebreaker you solve puzzles with cards, in Witcher 3 you had a tactical card game. I prefer the latter.

I didn't finish Thronebreaker. I actually really liked the look and the story was decent - and I liked how it was told. But the core Gwent gameplay just got a bit boring for me. If you do like Gwent then I'd say it is definitely worth trying Thronebreaker.

It is not a bad game, but the Gwent in Thronbreaker has nothing to do with the Gwent in Witcher 3. In Thronebreaker you solve puzzles with cards, in Witcher 3 you had a tactical card game. I prefer the latter.

You mention Gwent in The Witcher 3 … but this PvP Gwent is different than that ? And Thrownbreaker is different to both of them ?

You mention Gwent in The Witcher 3 … but this PvP Gwent is different than that ? And Thrownbreaker is different to both of them ?

I have never played the PvP game, but Witcher Gwent was deckbuilding and tactically wining 2 out of 3 games while managing your resources.
Thronbreaker Gwent ditches all that and you have to solve puzzle battles through playing the right card at the right time in the right sequence. Very often you have to use a deck offered by the game for that specific battle. You then try to figure out how to win.
Had they kept the Witcher Gwent with collecting new cards by wining against opponents and then figuring out synergies it would have been much better imo.

Back
Top Bottom