GOG - Preserving Gaming's Past & Future

I like these NoClip documentaries, though I've yet to see one that didn't sound like a marketing scheme on the side :)

I don't like documentaries as they usually don't talk about future. Past to me is boring, I'm not historian nor revisionist.

However there is something interesting in that vid up there:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gog-console-games
GOG is a distributor of DRM-free PC games, including classics and now modern computer titles. But what about good old console games? It might be a complicated process for games from other platforms to come to GOG, but it sounds like it’s far more of a legal problem than a technical one.

“I think it might be possible at some point,” Marcin Paczynski, head of product at GOG, says in the latest NoClip documentary. He specifically cites the original PlayStation as one of the platforms he’d like to see ported to PC as part of the GOG library.

“However, from what we have been able to gather because we did the research, it might be very, very complicated.” That’s because of “how the rights are structured” - though Paczynski doesn’t go into detail here, that could have something to do with the licenses companies like Sony might have for games released on their platforms.

“I wouldn't say that this is impossible and I would certainly love to have some of the console games on GOG. Because we would be able to make them work,” Paczynski says. He adds with a laugh “Maybe we've already tried.”

Presumably, any console titles released on GOG would make use of an emulator specifically tweaked toward that particular game’s requirements - that’s how most of the store’s DOS releases work, after all.
Sony is not Nintendo and there is a small chance they actually accept this.

I don't like documentaries as they usually don't talk about future. Past to me is boring, I'm not historian nor revisionist.

Is there any thread here you won't reply with ABSOLUTELY nothing to add ? Like anyone gives a f about you watching or not documentaries. And it shows you're not watching really, ignorance it is called.

In other news, great move by GOG, always respected and they try to make a service by making available lots of good oldies and above all easy to install and play for the masses (which do not tolerate unfortunately DOSbox command prompt etc.).

All the love for GOG. :smitten:

Who wouldn't appreciate what they're trying to do: rid the world of DRM and actually have you *own* the games rather than buy the right to use them?
I'll always get my games from them whenever I get the chance.

Is there any thread here you won't reply with ABSOLUTELY nothing to add ? Like anyone gives a f about you watching or not documentaries. And it shows you're not watching really, ignorance it is called.
Threre isn't.
That f noone gives you can use in front of off from me.
Ignorance is one thing, ignorelist is another and you're being moved to a nice party there.

Indeed, great old games proves itself to be about the best of the best so far as providing a service where you actually own the product, and one that works. I don't even find steam as consistently good at downloading items as great old games is. In a world of junky platforms, they stand above the others.

Threre isn't.
That f noone gives you can use in front of off from me.
Ignorance is one thing, ignorelist is another and you're being moved to a nice party there.
Watch out @joxer you have a stalker on the forum.:lol:
You ask why I joined today? Because unfortunately lately the forum is being infested with 2-3 noobs trolling the place and making it a mess and toxic place like RPGCodex.

So here I am, ready to discuss peacefully with the vast majority of the members, and make unfortamble clowns like Joxer and other ppl who downgrade this place. Thank you.
As for GOG keep doing what they do best and I'll always support the site.:beer:

I though a few little updates and charging money for old games was a cash grab?? :rotfl:

A lot of their stuff used to be abandonware, available for free. I suppose DosBox is beyond kiddies these days. DRM free, now that's something to crow about.

If people are offended by @joxer; then they either haven't been here long enough, or just don't understand.

Crash course: He's like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. Out loud he says get off my lawn, but deep down he loves you all.

joxer is endearing once you get to know him. The key is to not take him too seriously.

However there is something interesting in that vid up there:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gog-console-games

Sony is not Nintendo and there is a small chance they actually accept this.

Interesting, though I'm not sure there's many PSOne RPGs not already available on PC that would be of interest to many Watchers & which Sony actually owns the rights to. Guess it would be nice to have FF VII through IX available DRM-free for those who want it, though I think that would be up to Square Enix, not Sony. Maybe Arc the Lad (Sony developed and published it)?

If we want to keep the watch a nice and tidy place, I don't think starting by attacking people is the best way of doing it. Joxer has his style and may be quite annoyiing from time to time. But he also has a lot to contribute, and I consider him a valued member of the watch.

All of us here have our good and bad sides, we make useful and interesting posts, and we make bad ones. Perhaps for some the balance dips in the wrong direction (correct English?) - but that's to some degree in the eye of the beholder. I may be good at overlooking things (very good, actually), but to be honest, I've yet to see one watcher worth ignoring completely (except for spammers, but the ripper takes care of those).

pibbur who tends to regret posting things like this.

PS:Gog? Got to watch the video, I guess, but I like them and will continue buying from them. DS.

Last edited:
I though a few little updates and charging money for old games was a cash grab?? :rotfl:

A lot of their stuff used to be abandonware, available for free. I suppose DosBox is beyond kiddies these days. DRM free, now that's something to crow about.

But they weren't abandonware just because someone uploaded them to a website. Copyright for media is typically lifetime of the creator plus 50-70 years or 100 years for a non-individual. The popularity of these old games just showed there was still a market for them and that people were willing to pay for a legitimate copy - not unlike iTunes did during the mp3 craze.

But they weren't abandonware just because someone uploaded them to a website. Copyright for media is typically lifetime of the creator plus 50-70 years or 100 years for a non-individual. The popularity of these old games just showed there was still a market for them and that people were willing to pay for a legitimate copy - not unlike iTunes did during the mp3 craze.

This. I originally wrote about that aspect in my post above, but deleted it, because I lacked the necessary backgound information about the law and things like that.

pibbur who sometimes (wisely) decides not to talk about things about which he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom