Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Both NWN 1+2 Mods

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Never Played Any Mods

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Used to But Not Now

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters
I'll get to them all in due time. Right now I'm in chapter 2 already of Saleron's Gambit and am forming a nice little party of adventurers at the moment. I do have some gameplay questions but I'll probably make a new thread about that.

One more mod-related post by me. I would suggest Saleron's Gambit for you guys to check out. Obviously, Mr. Couchpotato recommended it first, and I've played it now into Chapter 2 and am having a blast with it. I like the slow, low-treasure start and the gradual build up that's been happening, and the dialog, monster ecology, world-building, atmosphere, etc., is all quite nice. I'll write an article later about the mod, but I'd give it a thumbs up for sure so far. :thumbsup:

Oh my god, man! This game is sick! I love it. I've played for some hours now and it just now dawned on me the genius of this game. It's basically Baldur's Gate in a 3rd-person view. I was just sitting there, examining my party members, checking out their feats and stuff, and wow, just awe-struck with the amount of sheer D&D madness that is packed into this game.

The mod itself is a hoot, too. The second chapter has a lot of great elements coming together and the writing and quest design is outstanding. Man, where has NWN been my whole life!? If this mod is *this* good already, I can only imagine what some of the other ones are like. O_O

P.S. What D&D ruleset does this game use? Really like the addition of all the skills and feats. Makes each character even that much more unique.

I knew you would enjoy playing NWN Fluent.If I recall the first Neverwinter Nights uses the 3rd Edition D&D Ruleset, and Neverwinter Nights 2 used the 3.5 edition.

This was before the 4th Edition D&D Ruleset was released, and made the rules MMO friendly. I hope the 5th Edition D&D is better , and used in another SP CRPG game.

Anyway I have said this before but no other game has given me so many hours s of enjoyment. Just wait till you finally get to NWN 2, and try even more good modules.

D&D is such an amazing thing. I also hope they release a new set of rules and some single-player RPGs are made from it. Other RPG settings and systems just can't compare to D&D, imo.

I agree Fluent as it provided the perfect ruleset for Single-player RPG games. It's a shame the owner of the license Hasbro has no interes in more CRPG games.

The closest we might come to anything like D&D again is with Pillars of Eterintiy, and the promise from Obsidian about a possible Pathfinder CRPG in the future.

Last edited:
PoE could be great, and we're seeing a revival in D&D-esque stuff, so that could make Hasbro change their minds about making more CRPGs with the D&D license. I sure hope so, anyway! :)

PoE could be great, and we're seeing a revival in D&D-esque stuff, so that could make Hasbro change their minds about making more CRPGs with the D&D license. I sure hope so, anyway! :)
I hope so Fluent but based on the early Beta testers the ruleset was watered down. I haven't played the beta in a few moths so my fingers are crossed their wrong.:fingerscrossed:

Update: I also remember that Fargo owns the Van Buren license so we might see a true Fallout game form Obsidian in the future after the next Bards Tale game.

Last edited:
Good news all around, Couch, except for the bit about PoE possibly having a watered-down ruleset. Let's hope not! However, I think any system will probably look watered-down when compared with D&D, :lol:.

Come on, Hasbro, you know you guys want to make some new D&D CRPGs! Maybe I will start a petition, heh. :)

I've posted detailed commentary on The Aielund Saga, Siege of Shadowdale, Crimson Tides of Tethyr, Swordflight and Orcs: Awakening of Arak Hur on my blog. So yes! I still play NWN mods. :)

Thanks, Thrasher. The quantity and quality of NWN mods has never ceased to impress me over the years; and I was somewhat surprised how little love or treatment they receive from the greater RPG community - hence the blog's focus. :) With the advent of the new Neverwinter Vault much of the old and new is again freely and easily available to enjoy; and some of the new and ongoing stuff impresses me greatly, like for example Swordflight (which I've just recently commented on).

Well all I know is I will never tire of playing Mods for NWN 1&2. As I always re-play a few mods each month, and new mods are still being made ten years later.

If anyone missed it I did a a new interview with Challseus last year.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/leonard-bedner-interview-261.html

I also interviewed Modder Savant this month, and I will publish it later this month. If anyone needs more recommendations check out my mod lists.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816&page=13

Looking forward to your Savant interview, Couchpotato! I recently recounted a thirty-four part Aielund Saga play-through, on which Savant (and the current maintainer Balkoth aka Magical Master) were kind enough to comment. I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and it would please me if more RPG lovers would take the time to give it a whirl (hopefully also finding more bugs for Balkoth to fix). :)

Thanks for the link Lilura as I'm replaying the series right now so it helps.:handshake:

I hope the new D&D game Sword Coast Legends lasts just as long as the NWN games did. As I'm very interested to see what modders make with the mod tools.

I had high hopes for Dragon Age also, but BioWare dropped mod support.:disappointed:

Quite a few people are playing Aielund Saga atm, which is good to see. I just completed Swordflight Chapter Two, and consider it one of the best modules I've ever played, maybe even the best.

I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, with various tactics mods; will also be keeping a close eye on SCL, though I doubt it will reach NWN level of community spirit and productive longevity... I guess we'll see.

Anyone know of a guide or some sort of how to make them "work" with all the different patches?

Make what work exactly? You mainly only need the last v1.69 official patch to get everything I've ever played to work. Or are you talking about the Aielund Saga modules? Can't help with those other than to re-iterate that one of the regulars on the Bioware NWN forums has begun patching the original releases.... FWIW.

-kaos

Eh...I've tried my time-tested method of downloading everything and dumping everything together, but it didn't quite work out as I hoped.
If I remember right, some of the earliest mods( Rose of something?), would not work with latest patches, community or otherwise.
So it's best to start from first patches and then work your way up...so to speak?

Man, it has been a long time since I played an NWN1 mod. There are some great ones out there and Hidden probably has several mini-reviews of them. He was the best at keeping everyone up to date on all things NWN-related.

Looks like Couch Potato is a NWN grognard too. I've been perusing the thread and may just have to put NWN back on the pc again.

Back
Top Bottom