Battle Brothers - Blazing Deserts Trailer

I agree with outnumbering your enemies. Do what Uber does. Hire lots of guys and pay them little. Save more cash by putting your guys with crappy gear in the second rank (a mandatory position for anyone lacking a helmet) with weapons that can reach two hexes past your front line.

Also, while it might be tempting not to in the beginning, as they kind of suck at the start, commit to leveling up archers, whom you'll learn to love later on.

I'm enjoying it…I don't know why someone needed a page to tell us why it wasn't for him, I totally understand it won't be for everyone.

Good for you... I have no idea why someone with over 5,000 posts since 2007 on a gaming forum would be in the least bit confused as to why someone might write negatively about a computer game QUITE BIZARRE BEHAVIOUR!!! I also have no idea what quantity of words equates to 'a page' nor why 'a page' is somehow worthy of passive aggressive baiting.

I agree with outnumbering your enemies. Do what Uber does. Hire lots of guys and pay them little. Save more cash by putting your guys with crappy gear in the second rank (a mandatory position for anyone lacking a helmet) with weapons that can reach two hexes past your front line.

Also, while it might be tempting not to in the beginning, as they kind of suck at the start, commit to leveling up archers, whom you'll learn to love later on.

Yes, for my first run all those years ago I did indeed do all of this, outnumbered enemies, hired the cheap guys, bought info on guys, had guys with pikes etc in the second ranks, levelled up some archers, gradually put together a team that could actually survive fights. Lots of helmets.

Because that's pretty much common-sense. As in that's pretty much the only way you can play it barring either the trade grind or similar generally combat dodging tactics. In that the combat doesn't offer variety, it offers you the joy of doing the same thing over and over in incrementally small increases in power-creep. It's not so much tactical but rather its just a non-stop tutorial on figuring out the one exact way to play it.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned daggers yet...

Now that's quite a lengthy informative post. Thanks for sharing that @lackblogger;

Makes me think I shouldn't play this game.

Damn my indecisiveness.:(

You wont know unless you try. It will greatly depend on how much you enjoy grinding games generally. If you come mainly from the Diablosphere then there's lots of lootin'n'shootin type appeal. And, of course, not too much else. I can cope with these kind of games in small doses, but I thought BB would be something a bit more interesting than that.

My original interest came from the much hype regarding expecting a good tactical combat experience, like so many of these 2010s RPGs and RPG-likes, hence my personal shock at what the game actually was. If you go in with lighter expectations and just a simple grind-love mindset and you like that kind of thing I can't see you not enjoying it.

But it's certainly not a full-fledged RPG. It's still a sandbox game. Imagination required.

I'd like to see a game that's similar, with a focus on great gameplay and a satisfying loop, but a bit more of a proper RPG. Make it pretty much a sandbox where you bowl around and do your own thing, but with a bit more quest structure, and so on. I reckon that could be quite a good path for an indie - you save on the costs of a grand overarching narrative, and I reckon quite a few people would actually appreciate a bit more of a free-form rpg.

Good for you… I have no idea why someone with over 5,000 posts since 2007 on a gaming forum would be in the least bit confused as to why someone might write negatively about a computer game QUITE BIZARRE BEHAVIOUR!!! I also have no idea what quantity of words equates to 'a page' nor why 'a page' is somehow worthy of passive aggressive baiting.

Waah? I actually agreed that it's not everyone's cup of tea. You just spent a lot of time detailing why….good for you. I'm sorry you felt baited.

Back
Top Bottom