KoA: Reckoning - Acquired by THQ Nordic

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and associated IP has been acquired by THQ Nordic.

THQ Nordic has acquired the Kingdoms of Amalur IP from 38 Studios, alongside the rights to the broader project ‘Amalur’, which was based on the studio’s abandoned MMORPG ‘Copernicus’.

THQ Nordic announced it was ‘proud’ to have acquired rights to the series. Kingdoms of Amalur was created by best-selling author R.A Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane and Ken Rolston, the lead designer of the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

[...]
More information.

Interesting. I thought KoA was well and truly dead, obviously not.

THQ Nordic buys another dead IP not surprised. Can't really fault them for buying cheap, and expect to see another game hopefully made by a good devolper. So fingers crossed.

in between prepare for the unavoidable remaster. Which might actually solve some of the worst game's problems and we might see a complete edition, with the pre-order stuff included.

Interesting. The game was not that bad - actually. It just didn't, in any way shape or form, live up to the massive hype.

A remaster could be nice, though I'd rather they focused on balance and content than visual upgrades. Game still looks just fine.

I had good 50+ hours fun with Amalur. It was not great but decent so I don't mind a sequel. I wonder what this means for the MMO they were also developing...

The time of big AAA MMOs seems to have passed a few years ago. They're incredibly expensive to develop and maintain - so I wouldn't expect one to come out of this.

That said, once a sufficiently bold vision gets financed - which will inevitably happen - I'm sure we'll see a resurgence of the genre.

I would have suggested Star Citizen could be the one to turn things around, but I don't think so - as it's not going to be a mainstream game. I don't see a large enough audience being enthralled with the kind of gameplay experience they're going for.

For now, it seems we'll have to make do with mini-MMOs and looter shooters.

Which reminds me of the nature of how low-hanging a fruit it would be to combine the more traditional and large-scale MMO with the mechanics of such games, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Nice, these guys buy lots of stuff, i hope they wont have problems in the future. As for the rerelease, game needs a scaling patch; even with that scaling mod, its still not good.

Nice, these guys buy lots of stuff, i hope they wont have problems in the future. As for the rerelease, game needs a scaling patch; even with that scaling mod, its still not good.

Because it scales to much or to little? I've never played it but scaling is a pet peeve of mine so I have to ask in accordance with my OCD regarding the topic. :)

Because it scales to much or to little? I've never played it but scaling is a pet peeve of mine so I have to ask in accordance with my OCD regarding the topic. :)

I don't remember the specifics of scaling, but I do remember combat being auto-win even on the hardest difficulties way, way too soon in the game.

The game doesnt have scaling, after the first big area you are in god mode, 1 hit killing everything. There is a mod YSA which brings combat tweaks and makes it more bearable, but there are zones where its too tough or where you are god again. This needs official scaling patch.

I had good 50+ hours fun with Amalur. It was not great but decent so I don't mind a sequel. I wonder what this means for the MMO they were also developing…

Probably nothing for the MMO, THQ Nordic isn't really into that market, they mostly focus on single player games (and more recently porting old games to mobile).

I actually played it for 300 hours in one run, much like an Elder Scrolls game for me. Problem was, combat was too easy. There are mods that fix that now, though. Excited to hear that, though. If they make another huge and beautiful open-world RPG with more challenging combat, it's another winner IMO.

I actually played it for 300 hours in one run, much like an Elder Scrolls game for me. Problem was, combat was too easy. There are mods that fix that now, though. Excited to hear that, though. If they make another huge and beautiful open-world RPG with more challenging combat, it's another winner IMO.
Glad to see you back. As for KoA: Reckoning yeah the combat did get easy, but a few bugs stopped me from progressing with some of the DLC expansions.

I still remember a few of the quest missions years later especially this one.

It was called House of Ballads and based on Puck and the dark fairy tales.

Yeah, I burned out around then. House of Ballads was the light elf one, I think. House of...Shadows? Was the dark elf one. House of Ballads was excellent IMO. The Maid area and her final quest was a treat. But yeah, if they can revive the series and make another game like it, I'm in for sure.

And thank you for welcoming me back, Couch. Sorry I deleted the communities you were posting in, but as I mentioned I was in a bad mental place when doing so. I appreciate you being back at the 'Watch, though! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I burned out around then. House of Ballads was the light elf one, I think. House of…Shadows? Was the dark elf one. House of Ballads was excellent IMO. The Maid area and her final quest was a treat. But yeah, if they can revive the series and make another game like it, I'm in for sure.
Yeah the House of Shadows one was better especially the overreaction. She deserved to win and be happy once in her life, but no you destroyed them for that choice.
And thank you for welcoming me back, Couch. Sorry I deleted the communities you were posting in, but as I mentioned I was in a bad mental place when doing so. I appreciate you being back at the 'Watch, though! :thumbsup:
Yeah I was kinda worried for awhile even asked a few people we usually talked to on other sites about you. I also took a year off so I know how it feels and understand.

As for being back I don't know as my posting style has changed.
Couch is selectively a troll - like most of us
Guess certain members and topics just trigger me cant help it.:cool:

Hey, it's all good Couch. You're my bud so I support ya. Hope you're doing well man. Maybe someday we'll reopen some of those communities again (not anytime soon, though. The 'Watch is plenty for me :lol: )

A game that respaws absolutely everything event random turds I bet - why it isn't mmo?
Okay, you got me, Dragon Age Hinterlands isn't mmo either. But still.

Amalur outdated designs need to be burried and forgotten, not revived.

A game that respaws absolutely everything event random turds I bet - why it isn't mmo?
Okay, you got me, Dragon Age Hinterlands isn't mmo either. But still.

Amalur outdated designs need to be burried and forgotten, not revived.
So sayeth the Joxer so mote it be true.

Remember he hates NWN 1&2 also.:p

On a side note you should make your Avatar Joxer from Xena.

Attachments

• d3e9127f93428bc11a3561b05a4b7183.jpg
    d3e9127f93428bc11a3561b05a4b7183.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 63
I thought KoA: Reconing was a fairly poor game and exceissvely drawn out with trash filler. That's just me; also didn't help that the later part had some very annoying clipping bugs (esp during the bos mobs). My understanding is the development team had a patch ready to release but the publisher refused ot let them push it before they went belly up. Pity it was never released in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom