System Shock - Alpha First Look

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Some System Shock alpha footage:

System Shock: Adventure Alpha 1st Look - Nightdive Studios

Welcome to the System Shock: Adventure Alpha! Backers will be able to freely traverse Citadel Station, pick up items, listen to audio logs, read emails and complete the game’s objectives from start to finish.

Hint:

Just to re-iterate what is stated in the description - these are the original levels using the original textures from the game. The purpose of this alpha is to rebuild all the levels 1:1 and be able to complete all the objectives necessary to finish the game. There will be many more updates, please stay tuned :)
More information.

A very nostalgic video. Since their aim this time around, is to be faithful to the original, it looks like they are off to a decent start.

Needs more bloom lighting. I can still make out shapes in some scenes.

I'm a bit conflicted, i preferred the reimagined version, it looked like something i'd love to play. This looks like the original - super simplistic in its level design but now with high quality lighting and better textures, 3D models instead of 2D. I feel the same with those grid movement dungeon crawlers. I might try it but it's not very high on the "must buy" list i have to say.

The level design in System Shock was actually really good for its time and still holds up fairly well even today imo. It was far from simplistic.

It's very simplistic in its design because it required a very low poly count, like all games at that time. It stands out a lot in comparison to a modern "corridor shooter" where the design is far more complex. The previous version was more in line with that.

It kind of works for these games though, i can still play System Shock 2 and its rare that i feel that something needs way more polygons to be believable, maybe apart from the later levels which are supposed to look "organic", and they look more like lego.. SS1 is more simplistic looking though with even less polygons.

You're talking about graphics not level design. Poly count has nothing to do with level design.

I'm talking about how the game world is mapped out. You keep mentioning how it "looks", so you're obviously referring more to aesthetics here.

No, i'm talking about both since it often goes hand in hand, polygon count matters a lot.

If i remove all rocks and trees from, let's say, Skyrim, is it still the same level design? In a way it is, but the level design is now quite simplistic and you will for example not be able to take cover, you will no longer be able to jump up on a rock to e.g reach something etc. Even in comparison to System Shock 2 this game has a more simplistic layout, especially the little details. Compare Doom 2 with the latest Doom and i'm sure you will see there too that polygon count matters a lot for the level design itself. Or again, just take System Shock 2..

Last edited:
Of course it's simpler than System Shock 2. That was released 5 years later using a more advanced engine.

That's completely irrelevant though. My point is that System Shock didn't have super simplistic level design.

And no, polygon count doesn't matter in regards to what I'm talking about. We could be talking about a 2D side scroller using pixel graphics and my point would still be the same.

No, you said it even holds up today, it really doesn't, not even in comparison to something like System Shock 2 which is now really old. For its time it was good, no question about that, but that was kind of my point, that it's something which belongs in a certain era, just like those grid based movement games..

Strapping on hi-res textures and better lighting, 3D models, it does really little for me personally, i'd prefer a complete re-imagining with very detailed levels, like we have in modern games.

You like it, fine, it's of course personal opinions, but that it holds up even to this date, no, most would disagree i believe.

You weren't comparing it to newer games in your original post. You said it was super simplistic in its level design which it wasn't. Now you're backpedaling and saying something different.

I'm fine with just a graphics and sound overhaul. Reimaginings often end up being worse than the original. They'll be adding detail without changing the layout of the levels which was the original Kickstarter pitch to begin with.

I'll quote myself "This looks like the original - super simplistic in its level design but now with high quality lighting and better textures".

That's my point, not that it had simplistic design for its time, i was making the point that it mixes this now extremely outdated design with modern design (textures, lighting/shaders). To me it becomes a bit of a tasteless mix of the two and i do think the developers saw this problem too. That's why they made the so called re-imagined version first with more more complex and modern level design.

I bet this game will satisfy any hardcore SS player who just wants a (big) update, but new players will definitely not be blind to this very simplistic level design, in comparison to modern games.

Exactly. You didn't say by today's standards or compared to a new title. That's fine if that's what you meant, but it's not what you said.

And I doubt many new players are going to be put off by the level design. This isn't an open-world game after all. You can pretend it's extremely outdated all you want, but that doesn't mean everyone else is going to feel the same way. While the level design won't be its strongest aspect, I don't see it being a deal-breaker for most.

I think the focus has shifted as whole, the reimagined was far more grand in scope, something which could perhaps compete with the really big titles like Bioshock. Something that could've peaked the interest of just about anyone, but in the end too big for them to handle.

This is more in line with the other titles they now have, it's aimed mostly towards the fans (but this one with at least a little more appeal in comparison to the others since the upgrade is far beyond what they've done before). We'll see how it goes.

Bioshock was much simpler and dumbed-down compared to System Shock. I agree though that something like that would have a broader appeal.

It's a shame their budget isn't larger. With the Unreal 4 engine, there's the potential to ramp up the visuals a lot more than what they've shown.

Back
Top Bottom