Red Dead Redemption 2 - Gameplay Trailer

While they “allow them” it’s very limited. I believe 5 GB limit on skyrim and 2GB limit on fo4.

Also no nexus only Bethesda.net. Which limits selection even more.

My console has a place in my gaming arsenal ( mainly sports games and exclusives) but I’d never mod on it.

For reference my last skyrim modding session was 126GB.

126GB of mods on Skyrim? What's the base game, only around 20GB?
Must've been that infamous 4K nude patch. ;) You can't get that one on consoles.
Well I can relate with sakichop as mods in all my Bethesda games take around 50-100gb of space also. This mostly due to texture overhauls, and new playable game content.

Also yeah a console will never allow you to install that many GB'S of mods.

i-nhbbsvG-2100x20000.jpg

Watched this just recently, guess I'm a bit late.

Visually, it really is gorgeous with some of the best lighting out there. Good animations, classic Rockstar level of detail and seems they've improved horse riding even further.
But aside? Nothing really seems to be particularly impressive or ambitious. Almost painfully "same old ". Seems with same issues as all Rockstar games: shallow, very basic gameplay and very linear, restrictive mission design.
They're adding survival elements, but it seems pretty inconsequential ( that usually does not turn out well).
Story, I'm not sure how it will hold. RDR's was very "meh" and uninvolving, with exception of ending, but Marston really carried it through ( really likeable and well voiced). This protagonist seems far less interesting.
I guess we'll see how Rockstar holds up. They've been leading in open world games for a decade, but it seems other studios are far more ambitious lately.
Also something funny: they did behind closed doors showcase of first hour or so to Gamestop employees...and some of them literally fell asleep!
Going by the impressions, seems a real slow burner.

I'm blown away by the level of detail seen in the trailer. Rockstar games have always been groundbreaking in creating immersion and this game seems to keep the trend.

The horses even have balls!

tFbNN70.jpg

Yeah, to me it's a good thing to see games tightening up, cutting the bloat and things that aren't working. "Kill your darlings", as writers say.

The horses even have balls!

..which even reacts to temperature.

kind of funny perhaps, for people under 8 or so? pretty sure there would be better things to spend the performance (and time) on though..

Seems pretty damn odd they're not showing any live gameplay...the game is what?, week or two from release?
I'm expecting here a lot of detail, but little substance below the surface. Same old Rockstar outlaw story ( who laments being an outlaw while killing tens of thousands of npcs throughout the game).

Same old Rockstar outlaw story ( who laments being an outlaw while killing tens of thousands of npcs throughout the game).
It was only Niko in GTA IV, other Rockstar characters don't have that kind of thoughts.

Last edited:
Review ban is lifted. Before news article, a few:

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369
pic.jpg

https://wccftech.com/review/red-dead-redemption-2-living-outlaw-life/
Red Dead Redemption 2 may not be perfect, but its minor shortcomings are like tiny blemishes on a stunningly beautiful face. In a way, they only serve as a reminder of how this world isn't made for perfection. Every single aspect of the game will put you into the very shoes of an outlaw roaming America with his gang as they try to escape the law long enough to make the money needed to disappear for good. It's an epic, memorable and engrossing tale which also elevates the open world genre to new heights with the brand new interaction system, a cast of memorable characters and a ton of high-quality content to play for a long time.

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2
This whole Western 101 approach unsurprisingly comes with a ham-fisted grasp of politics. A woman eventually puts on a pair of pants, one character explains white privilege and why the people in the “southern” end of the map look at him funny, another says that Native Americans were—in what is at least acknowledged as being grossly reductive—“treated poorly,” and everyone generally contemplates the horrors of racism and the aftermath of slavery. And for hours upon hours, none of this injustice is explored in any real detail.
…there’s distressingly little going on beneath the surface. For as adept as Rockstar is at placing you within a wonderful, lavish world and letting you move within it, they’re still figuring out how to say all that much about it.

That third one seems obsessed with sjw, on the other hand maybe I misread it and maybe the story is so shallow some sort of sjw or antisjw approach would benefit it.
But anyway, seems the game is not southern beauties dating sim. Which is a shame.

Man, I'm not done!
VG247 collected many of reviews and as you can see many are 10/10:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-reviews-round-up-scores-ps4-xbox-one/

However, the same site has an interesting separate article:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/25/red-dead-redemption-2-disappearing-side-missions/
Red Dead Redemption 2 has a fully simulated world, so there are a handful of reasons why a quest giver might not be there when you eventually ride up.

The biggest reason is time of day. Some missions can only be triggered during the night, and some can only be triggered during the day.

The easiest way to check this is to head to the nearest hotel, or ride out into the wilds and set up a camp, then sleep until it’s either night or day. If the quest giver reappears on the map, your problem is solved.
Can't remember which game we were discussing here and I said back then that questgivers or questtargets moved to Narnia and impossible to access if it's day or if it's night is a prime example of bad design. That's IMO not 10/10 game material.
You may check how AC Odyssey did it. A questgiver or target is sometimes not at the same place depending on time shift, but you can still find them and interact somewhere without any need to pass time.

It was showcased during a stream.

Once again, if not needed, this shows gaming happens on consoles.

Attention to detail is stupendous, there is story, there is combat, the panoramic landscapes are breath taking with a tremendous work put on sky boxes etc

Plus the quality is even during all the game. Nothing like front loading content to impress players, it is a game for gamers.

Definitively a system seller.

Yes Chien, we already know horse balls shrink on low temperature in RDR2.
What we don't know is if there is any juicy meat below the nicelooking surface.
In other words, is the game Jessica Alba or Jennifer Lawrence?

"A game for gamers" doesn't specify what exact kind of gamers. So lemme assume you're talking about phone casual gamers. That type of gamers never cared about substance. Only style.

Can't remember which game we were discussing here and I said back then that questgivers or questtargets moved to Narnia and impossible to access if it's day or if it's night is a prime example of bad design
It depend if logical and not annoying, like if you can only start hunting mini-quests in the day (preferably the morning) and burgalry mini-quests in the night, it's ok.
But if it's just related to the day/night cycle and you have to constantly look after NPCs for every single quests, just for the sake of realism, then it's bad game desgin, I agree.

Yes Chien, we already know horse balls shrink on low temperature in RDR2.
If that was only that... The work on the snow itself is worth the buy.
What we don't know is if there is any juicy meat below the nicelooking surface.
In other words, is the game Jessica Alba or Jennifer Lawrence?
Juicy meat, nah. It comes with gameplay so nothing like TW3.
And the engine supports various black people skin tones. Nothing like CP 2077.
"A game for gamers" doesn't specify what exact kind of gamers. So lemme assume you're talking about phone casual gamers. That type of gamers never cared about substance. Only style.
Gamers are gamers, no matter the platform they play their games on.

Gamers are players interested in the substance named gameplay. That keeps them away from stylish products like TW3.

Gaming happens on consoles, I just cannot contain my laughter. Only to the simplistic, and unimaginative, says me. I played the first game in this series, bought a play station three just for it, but I won't be doing that again. If they want me to play it, they can make it available on the superior machine, the home computer. If not, no worries, I've lots to play!

Back
Top Bottom