ELEX - From a Fanboys Perspective

Loved playing Elex and fit almost half that list. :thinking:

Can't wait to play the sequel either. Hmm wonder if you like Dark Souls you fit the criteria also? Cause you have to be at least a masochist to enjoy dying over and over.:p

Nah, i only match one of those and i love dark souls.

My main complaint with elex was the difficulty progression. You go from having to sneak around and kill small creatures to being godlike in the matter of 10-15 hours. Not good progression for a 80-100 hour game imo. If they could smooth out that progression and even keep some level of difficulty in to the late game it would have been an excellent game.

There's more than one difficulty level to choose from. I can tell most here played it on Normal. I played on Hard, and it was challenging for a lot longer than just 10-15 hours.

The combat is not as bad as some are trying to claim. It's a little clunky, and definitely not the game's strongest aspect, but in reality it's no worse than in most of PB's other titles.

@yemeth; - Good review, and I agree with most of what you said. I too think Elex was their best game since Gothic 2.

There's more than one difficulty level to choose from. I can tell most here played it on Normal. I played on Hard, and it was challenging for a lot longer than just 10-15 hours.

I played it on Normal and it was enough of a challenge for little ol' me for more than 15 hours. And I even went the Cleric route :p.

Am I the only one on this forum that's not a gaming god? I must getting old. :D

Loved this game, 116 hours on the clock from one playthrough. :)

Daniel.

I played on hard, and it was tough from the beginning to almost the end for me. There were a few hours when I was in the middle and it felt just right, then the difficulty ticked up again a bit. I really liked the game though, and it will be replayed by me many times again. Also, I'm not German and, while I do have many challenges, aspergers isn't one of them.

-Problems making or maintaining friendships - No
-Isolation or minimal interaction in social situations - If the music sux, yes
-Poor eye contact or the tendency to stare at others - Depends on boobs
-Trouble interpreting gestures - No
-Inability to recognize humor, irony, and sarcasm - I recognize attempts, not always funny
-Inappropriate behaviors or odd mannerisms - Yes!
-Problems expressing empathy, controlling emotions, or communicating feelings - No
-Lack of common sense - True, and nothing but the truth
-Tendency to engage in one-sided conversations (about oneself) Nah
-Fascination with certain topics - What certain? Mushrooms addiction? Then yes.
-Interpretation of information as literal - No, I'm not Kim Kardashian
-The preference for a strict schedule or routine - Never!

That's me all right
Bad test with indecisive questions where yes, no and maybe can be the correct answer.

I would love an Ass Burger. ;)

I must be easy to please because I enjoyed the combat and Elex is a very good game. I agree, there best game since Gothic 2.

I would love an Ass Burger. ;)
Here you go enjoy.:biggrin:

images

I can actuality see a market for these things.:lol:

"Yes I would like to order five ass-burgers but hold the black ketchup please."

The combat is not as bad as some are trying to claim. It's a little clunky, and definitely not the game's strongest aspect, but in reality it's no worse than in most of PB's other titles.

@yemeth; - Good review, and I agree with most of what you said. I too think Elex was their best game since Gothic 2.

Thank you :) Means a lot

I played on Ultra difficulty in all aspects and the game to me was pretty easy. The idea isn't so much to fight for the first 30 hours but to just survive, and slowly you start gaining access to things that can hurt enemies. I ended up using magic which was awesome and became very powerful but that wasn't until another 120 hours or so. I spent a lot of time with the game (I play slow) but I didn't find the game particularly hard like a Dark Souls game or something. It's more about using your brain to pick and choose your battles (and jetpacking the heck away when they're too tough :) ).

Clocked 168 hours according to Steam before putting it away due to a Let's Play I was working on. I got pretty far but didn't finish it unfortunately. Excellent game, one of PB's best IMO. Loved the setting, lore, combat, quests, factions and overall worldbuilding and exploration, per usual with a PB game.

I have more than a half of those, but I still don't see what any of this has to do with ELEX.
And I didn't mind ELEX's combat that much, but I din't play it for very long so I can't tell for sure if it's good at higher levels. Jet-pack was very useful.

The joke is that people with aspergers tend to enjoy repetition and dislike change to a degree which usually makes life problematic but makes certain games enjoyable. But the list sucks, so it is easy to miss the point of the joke. :)

As a Piranha Bytes fan, if I made a review about Elex, I would write the exact same things. Elex is the second best game of PB after Gothic 2 and before Risen 1. An excellent open world RPG.

As a Piranha Bytes fan, if I made a review about Elex, I would write the exact same things. Elex is the second best game of PB after Gothic 2 and before Risen 1. An excellent open world RPG.

:) Glad you feel the same

I wrote the RPGWatch review of ELEX, and it seems we mostly agree, @yemeth;. For people who actually know what they're getting into, ELEX is an excellent game.

I understand people giving up after a few hours if they've no idea what PB games are all about though. Going from Fallout, TES and similar to ELEX is likely to be rough.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to ELEX 2. I like where ELEX left off, so I have high hopes for the sequel.

Is there a different perspective for ELEX? (rhetorical)

The joke is that people with aspergers tend to enjoy repetition and dislike change to a degree which usually makes life problematic but makes certain games enjoyable. But the list sucks, so it is easy to miss the point of the joke. :)

Well great, I can now add inability to recognize humor from that list to my symtoms...

Well, I don't think there's only love or hate with no middle ground. I certainly liked the game, and it took me a lot more than 15 hours to get to the point where I actually had a powerful character (I went with the Zerkers). I rushed to finish it in the end though, but that's my usual behaviour for games that long.

Biggest pro for me is the progression, where pretty much everything kills you in the beginning, and when you've finally ran, sneaked and jeptacked for a loooong time to progress you get to be on the giving end of butt kicking instead. Great. I also liked the fact it wasn't your usual fantasy fare but a more interesting setting.

I wish there had been more information on the past though, I couldn't be bothered to find every single audio log etc. but really want to know what happened to the world. Perhaps the sequel will enlighten me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom