Morrowind Modded Morrowind brings my framerate to a crawl. Help!

As to your PC, aside from an upgrade, have you tried closing all unecessary background services, a defrag, and lowering your game's screen resolution?

I've tried all that except for the defrag. I will try that next.

Lowering the game screen resolution made no change to the FPS as far as I can tell. I will try running the MGEgui as administrator and changing the resolution back to 800x600 and see if that changes anything. I have closed all unnecessary background programs.

At this point, I'm too spoiled to go back to vanilla Morrowind. The graphics are simply too gorgeous in this overhaul to want to go back to anything less. If I get absolutely desperate and can't take the low FPS anymore, I will consider trying something else, but at this point I'm just gonna stick with it and deal with it as it comes.

Todd, thanks for the notes. Sadly, I actually went even lower in the settings than that person did. I have everything in the graphics extender program turned down to the lowest possible settings. I have Distant Lands completely off, no shaders, no fancy water details, nothing. The only thing I didn't do is turn off the extra trees and bushes, however, according to the overhaul, those trees and bushes make little to no impact on performance anyway. I already deselected the things that impact performance and all that's left makes negligible impact on the performance.

Just out of curiosity, is there another texture pack out there that maybe isn't as demanding as Morrowind Overhaul, yet still looks good? I would think about trying that as a last resort.

Thanks for trying to help everyone, I appreciate it.

Well, since I got a new gaming laptop, the game is no longer choppy at all. I'm able to play on max settings and get a good framerate. However, I still see some serious FPS decrease in the same areas I was experiencing them before (Ald'Ruhn, Ald'Ruhn mage's guild). It's still very much playable, but the FPS do dip in those areas. I imagine it's just the result of it being modded and not completely optimized for modern hardware. No complaints here, I can live with it.

The game is gorgeous with the Overhaul. I love how you can see for miles and miles on a clear day. Makes exploring the world even more fun than before.

Back
Top Bottom