A book I wholeheartedly recommend for rpg gamers

Ok guys, I've been meaning to share this somewhere but starting my life again over after losing everything es in Poland (where I havent lived since I was 9) has been challenging. I'm lucky to have my mom and her friend help me out here set up an id, bank, apartment etc. or Id probably be in jail or homeless.

Anyway, when I was in ICE custody at the immigration jail I looked over the small bookcart they had (they had very limited book offerings and no magazines and food was crap trust me trump is an idiot and America sucks at detaining immigrants) but anyway, it was called Shadowmasque and the art on the front of the book caught my eye and reminded me of a game actually. Like it could be cover art for one of the Avernun games or something.

I almost didnt start reading it because someone ripped like 40 pages out of the first 30-70 but they were like half there so I tried to make sense of that missing part and somehoe didnt miss much as it was also explained later.

The book starts out slow anyway and really picks up toward the middle of end, it is also part 3 of a chronology but it explains everything from the first two. Basically the first two were about these shadowkings who ruled the earthly realm or nation and five of them had parts of this evil being (fragmented) called the Great Shadow or the Lord of Twilight (sounds familiar yet? Lord of the Ring vibe as well here). And I dont know the specifics but they were defeated and there were humans including a princess and some legendary heroes who both perished and some survived. However, in this book some of them continue to exist in another dimension as spirits or another dimension of them as they witnessed their own funerals and deaths and such. But that is only a minor subplot.

The book is jut amazing. I kept glued to it there. The main group of wizards are called watchers and you find out their leader, Cabalos, was actually Byrnak 300 years ago but that fragment of him was destroyed and he basically turned back into a good guy. However, you dont find this out into the middle of the book when he says "I knew you once" to this being that was summored from the nightrealm to take this world over.

What is amazing is there are these creatures who were the msot loyal servents of the Lord of Twilight in the earlier books and basically elite shock troops, with amazing magical and fighting abilities who trained all their lives and dedicated themselves to serving, they were called Daemonkind and the world thought they disappeared after that war but instead they changed their appearance and continued to lvie among the world of the men and living but in a ship that was continually moving.

They talk of a book of Vortex that since those days when they realized they had to redefine themselves and lost the way that was their guiding force of all their secrets and myths they had to abide by for their future journey. The book was based on their leaders after that war going on a mountain and talking to a mysterious being called the Sleeping God who foretold them everything they had to face in the decades or millenia forward, which were all coming true.

The thing is that only one of them survived to the day of this book (third one's time) from the time they had the meeting with the Sleeping God 300 yrs before and he was already old by that time and lived throughout that whole war and long before. Even their ships had images of a sleeping god and paintings and they had set up a meeting for Calabos to find out what they all should do about the coming manace of the Lord of Twilight's disciple, named Jumil, who was close to the king and slowly eroding the wolrd back to chaos and trying to revive the Lord of Twilight.

They had this meeting with two ships where they spoke telephatically and the leader whow as alive since that time was the captain who hardly anyone saw and lived in some isolated chamber. He was the only one who remembered the time of the sleeping god, and the triumphs that turned into losses, the greed and unwavering loyalty to a dead or evil god.

Anyway, surprisingly and unexpectedly as they were comunicating and a big fight arose over whether the Daemonkind should be involved in this new war, the Sleeping God emerged and spoke to them all. He told them guides that they must be involved and are part of this world after all and to head for the mountain to speak with him and this time bring the leader of the mage watchers, Calabos with them, who was also in the room.

Anyway, they went and with them as Calabos's childhood friend Coreig, who also lived since that war and was a lesser wizard, and a person who had his mind half corrupted by Jumil and was being contained by the DaemonKind's sorcery and medicine. They all went ot his island and mountain to speak with the sleeping god wondering if he really even exists, and after a long journey to the top he appeared. Calabos went into a trance and it was revealed he must go to the nightrealm where the Lord of Twilight triumphed and defeat him there. The new Shadowgod (who is lesser powerful than the old one but was growing in power constantly and would also try to challenge the lord of twilight for ultimate power and go to the realm) would also be there and oh yea he was corrupted by Jumil but kind of was against him as well.

However, the Sleeping God told Calabos that this would happen sooner than you know, as if he predicted the next turn of events. He alsod escribed that realm how in it nobody dies but constantly fights and gets reborn or grown as if on a tree after each battle they fall in. It is constant war and people vying for power through clans and millitias. The time exists different there so over 3000 years passed while only 300 in the real world. During all this time there were uprisings in that world against the lord of twilight with multiple warlords combinging forces but they got only as far as his outer courts (Lord of Twilights) during one of these rebellions and always perished.

He rules there and has overseers with their own armies watching everything and doing his bidding from high towers across the land. Also, all the other cities in various realms he conquered as well as nations were smashed together into one continuous city or land with houses and buildings on top of one another.

But as the Sleeping God told Calabos, you will have to make your way there and sooner than you think, he understood and as soon as he said this the corrupted or half corrupted man (not COreig forgot his name) was starting to run and the other side of his mind took over and they chased him knowing he was going for only one place, the Nightrealm. But as this was happening the Sleeping God had one task for Coreig, the friend of Calabos.

He ended up telling him something he didnt think he was going to be able to do, yet reluctantly accepted the task. It was to go through the time vortex to fter the original war concluded into the newly formed Nightrealm where the Lord of Twilight was to be contained, and to wait for Calabos for three thousand years as he will guide him and a part of the Sleeping God will be with him the whole time, and unlike anyone else in that world he will remember through the half deaths.

LAter in the book he even says something powerful toward the final battle when he reveals to Calabos who he truly was in that realm, as he was posing as just an old man who everyone was inspired by and knew as the person claiming to remember through the half deaths. He told him, "I have waited my brother, my friend, for three thousand years never doubting and fulfilling my duty to the sleeping god for your coming."

In the final battle he and the sleeping god who was part of him and Calabos through this journey to the nightrealm to defeat the great shadow sacrifice themselves to destroy the Nightrealm and seal off or put on a vessel into the ultimate void of space, the lord of twilight. He existed as a spark in the back of the memory and power (because the lord of twilight was destroying other gods as well except him hence why the void masters agreed to let him win in one dimension and form the nightrealm while in the other dimension he would lose to stop from the entire space form collapsing through his power and constant battle with other gods).

So in the end the shadowking was defeated by calabos and the sleeping god defeated the lord of twilight, but he couldnt be killed in his own realm the void masters gave him ultimate power so they had to seel off the wellsource magic power (thus only leaving the lesser power magic left in the world) and the sleeping god had to simply contain him with the help of COreig whom he gave that assignment he fulfilled as "an old man" for a thousand years. The old man or Coreig as he was still under disguise actually followed Calabos in the background to the outer courts and throan room of the Great Shadow as he went through 32 floors of his ultimate tower.

Anyway, guys this is the gist of the book. It is really this deep and deeper. This is just what I recall of it or remember. But it really left a mark on me. Possibly the greatest fantasys tory I've ever seen told. Ive not seen a single game or even movie or many books as deep as this. Here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Shadowmasque...8&qid=1502441330&sr=8-1&keywords=shadowmasque

(listen to the audio or audiobook part as well)

Here is the hardcover image:
https://www.amazon.com/Shadowmasque...8&qid=1502441330&sr=8-1&keywords=shadowmasque

Oh and that guy Calabos defeats with his sword (pictured on cover same sowrd his fragment as Bernak was destroyed through its use) was the shadowking brought under Jumil's influence who rebelled against Jumil and wanted to overcome the lord of twilight himself. He kept forming armies and alligances and even was mentioned of the old man who once told his ambasaddor or the man who first helped him in the nightrealm (basically his guide or explainer of how things worked there or consultant) that an old man existed the consultant knew once who remembered through the half deaths.

Anyway, two DaemonKind also agreed to go to that realm and it was with their help and the help of a local female chieftain warrior and her clan that Calabos was actually found after venturing through darklabirynths and tunnels.

Ive been wanting to contact Jeff Vogel about this book and try having him read it or recommend it to him, or have him try working with the author, Cobley somehow on a future game with similar plotlines.

You guys just gotta give the book a try from here it is the entire beginning and some of what I described:

Even the writing has a very Vogelesque vibe to it with a lot of description of blood and gore (its dark fantasy after all):
https://www.amazon.com/Shadowmasque-Michael-Cobley/dp/0743256824

Screen_Shot_2017_08_11_at_1_59_44_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_08_11_at_2_02_14_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_08_11_at_2_01_58_AM.png

Audiobooks? Erm… If dislexia hits me, only then I'll consider that stuff.
About the written book itself, I'm kinda irritated with dialogues overblown so much it's borderline parody.

Someone please kick this out of General RPG section, it's not about RPG.

Why should I read it when you just wrote the whole plot? Don't you know how to explain what book/movie/game is about without spoiling the whole plot?

I thought it was a little ironic too how he's urging everyone to read the book, and then proceeds to spoil the entire plot.

I thought it was a little ironic too how he's urging everyone to read the book, and then proceeds to spoil the entire plot.

He's a troll man. He posted some ridiculous thread about how he just got out of jail a few days back. Don't pay attention, he'll go away.

Wow, he is really back.

I think we need to send him to do the review on Grimoire and maybe interview Cleve next time he's in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom