What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Yeah fair enough. If I remember correctly, in the books the rest of the gang aren't involved in a pitched battle at that point though, so he's alerting them to the general attack (after going after the ring himself). Could be wrong though, its years since I read it!

Yeah, I enjoyed seeing the Weta recreation of Middle Earth, and the thesps getting into their roles, but the actual films left a lot to be desired, IMO. I think Jackson is a highly overrated director, and the Hobbit films were drivel. Didn't get past Sylvester McCoy covered in birdshit in the first one.

Eh, i quite liked Radagast. As a former bird and parrot owner i can kind of relate to the bird shit too lol, not sure i'd want it in my beard but meh.. its not like it smells or anything haha

The Hobbit movies are not as good as the LOTR ones, but i find them entertaining enough, pop-corn fantasy.

Rumor is that Disney has decided to halt making more StarWar Spinoffs.
As for the films being put on hold… Collider believes that the projects could get picked back up if LucasFilms is given a pitch that they can’t refuse, or something changes in the production schedule, but for now the Star Wars spin-off films will be iced until Rian Johnson completes the current trilogy and the second trilogy of films based on characters from The Last Jedi are finished.

but for now the Star Wars spin-off films will be iced until Rian Johnson completes the current trilogy
Is Rian Johnson doing the third film on the new trilogy as well? I thought it was just the second one.

Thanks, that's interesting. I was never convinced by the idea of spin-offs (particularly origin stories like Solo, which usually leave me cold), but I enjoyed Rogue One more than I expected. I haven't seen the last two films though so I'm a bit behind the times.

Interesting documentary clip about the Hobbit films, where Jackson and his team essentially describe what went wrong. No wonder they were so poor.

The Battle of the Five Armies was god-awful. Just one cringeworthy scene after the other.
Tbh though, the entire trilogy was really, really bad.

I have to give Peter Jackson credit. It takes some serious talent to turn one of the greatest fantasy-fiction stories of all time into such shit. :)

To be fair I have more than a few friends that really liked the series; though even they admit the scene with legos skate boarding was a bit over the top; on the other hand they don't play rpg games so they won't be posting their defense of the movie.

The Battle of the Five Armies was god-awful. Just one cringeworthy scene after the other.
Tbh though, the entire trilogy was really, really bad.

I have to give Peter Jackson credit. It takes some serious talent to turn one of the greatest fantasy-fiction stories of all time into such shit. :)

When anyone brings up any of the Lord of the Rings movies, I must always ask about Bombadil. I'll never understand why he wasn't a part of the movies, that was a real disservice.

When anyone brings up any of the Lord of the Rings movies, I must always ask about Bombadil. I'll never understand why he wasn't a part of the movies, that was a real disservice.

It would be hard to do him justice i think, one of those characters which no doubt would leave fans of the books disappointed and those new to LOTR confused i bet.

If i remember correctly Jackson said he didn't think Bombadil had too much relevance to the ring and the story itself so he decided to leave him out.

If you watch the Hobbit movies with a very critical eye they are probably shit. When i watch it i just decide its popcorn fun fantasy that i dont take too seriously..

I also prefer to compare them to other fantasy movies instead of the books, and there they excel, just like LOTR.. what other types of fantasy movies do we have that is even near this - nothing (imo). There's the Harry Potter movies, but eh, personally i didn't care for them too much, they're probably good fantasy movies though if you're into the setting and characters of harry potter.

Tom Bombadil's absence wasn't as egregious as some of the other things Jackson did in the movies.. like the elves at Helm's Deep or, my personal favorite, the army of green ghosts that got lost on their way to Disney and ended up at The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Tom Bombadil's absence wasn't as egregious as some of the other things Jackson did in the movies.. like the elves at Helm's Deep or, my personal favorite, the army of green ghosts that got lost on their way to Disney and ended up at The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

I can't remember this part from the book, so i've been curious how it's supposed to look etc.. but its been ages since i read it.. i really should read them again soon.
I did not like these neon green parts in the movie, they reminded me of something i would expect to see in World of Warcraft. The Dead City with those green disco lights. That annoyed me when i watched it recently. It could have been really tense and atmospheric, but no, he had to ruin it there too, just as he did with Moria and Shelob's lair imo.

Yeah I thought the attack of the unstoppable green glow was poor. On the other hand I thought the battle was pretty ace until that point. The charge of the Rohirrim was fantastic, the most rousing scene in the trilogy. I only have very vague memories of the battle from the books so I can't comment on how faithful it is, but I enjoy it right up until the point where the green glow arrives and just kills everything for the heroes.

I can't remember this part from the book, so i've been curious how it's supposed to look etc.. but its been ages since i read it.. i really should read them again soon.

The Army of the Dead is only briefly mentioned in the books and isn't present at the siege of Gondor. Aragorn, Legolas, etc, arrive at the Pelennor Fields with reinforcements (men and elves) in black ships taken from the enemy.

Legolas later tells Merry and Pippin about how Aragorn summoned the Army of The Dead and that army helped them defeat the corsairs and take their ships (The dead vanished immediately afterwards). It's literally just 1 or 2 paragraphs. Evidently Jackson thought it would be really cool to "expand" on that in his own way. :rolleyes:

I believe I flat-out laughed my bum off in the theatre when the great green wall of ultimate power rolled forth. It might be this series of movies that, almost more than any other epitomizes the belief that translation of an excellent novel to the screen is a tough chore.

Aragorn, Legolas, etc, arrive at the Pelennor Fields with reinforcements (men and elves) in black ships taken from the enemy.

Right! Now i actually remember. Thanks. Kind of a useless change really, but mostly because the execution of it isn't very good, on paper i bet it was pretty awesome ;)

Back
Top Bottom