Dungeons & Dragons - Steam Sale

You guys have talked me into getting Siege. I have not played it yet. I'm a sucker for D&D games. Best character customization ever.

What the heck is this Idle Champions? Never heard of it. I see the base game is free and then they charge a bunch for DLC's.

I haven't tried Siege, either. I was waiting for all the fuss and bother to blow over, to get a more useful picture of whether it was any good or not.

Hmm I own Siege of Dragonspear as it came with the Enhanced GOG version but I never played it yet. Though I do remember bad review and a launch controversy.

Most negative player reviews said it has bad writing and storytelling.

Yeah, that was my concern. I did see some reviews that didn't appear to be foaming at the mouth, that were saying the writing was very clunky. I was planning to do an epic replay of the whole saga, all modded up to my liking, and I didn't want to insert something in the middle of it if it's jarring compared to the originals.

I enjoyed Siege. I thought the writing was fine. It's a bit linear but the areas are interesting and the combat encounters etc are generally well done. My main complaint was that the overall story felt too epic given it was just meant to explain the gap between BG and BGII - I wish they'd made it smaller and more personal to be honest. Whilst I had a good time with it, when I next do a BG playthrough I'll probably skip it and go straight to BGII.

I just find the anti-Siege stance ridiculous. It's a good expansion. Not great, but well worth playing, especially for any supposed BG2 fan, as it leans towards BG2 more than BG1 in terms of epicness and scale. I found it very good and I'm just baffled that people who like the BG games would skip it. The writing is fine as Pongo said and the story of the expansion is quality. Your loss. O_O

Here's the thing - everyone has different taste. For one, you don't even like BG2, Fluent. So I'm not even sure why you are trying to sell SoD with "its like BG2".

Siege is better than BG2 to me, yeah. But I would expect a huge fan of BG2 to not skip Siege.

I enjoyed Siege. I thought the writing was fine. It's a bit linear but the areas are interesting and the combat encounters etc are generally well done. My main complaint was that the overall story felt too epic given it was just meant to explain the gap between BG and BGII - I wish they'd made it smaller and more personal to be honest. Whilst I had a good time with it, when I next do a BG playthrough I'll probably skip it and go straight to BGII.

I wouldn't skip it personally, it's a part of the series now. But I also enjoy it and BG1 way more than BG2. That said, it was a bit too epic, they dipped too deep into the bestiary and some of the encounters were too epic as well. That was my biggest issue with it, but overall it's a solid 8/10 from me.

Having met many of the folks that work or worked at Beamdog, I can state they really do care about both the products they produce as well as the audience that are served. I truly wish they'd make a property of their own and run with it, but the products they put out are well worth playing, and this is coming from someone that played the originals when they were first released.

I wouldn't skip it personally, it's a part of the series now. But I also enjoy it and BG1 way more than BG2. That said, it was a bit too epic, they dipped too deep into the bestiary and some of the encounters were too epic as well. That was my biggest issue with it, but overall it's a solid 8/10 from me.

I'm glad I played it and I'm not ruling out playing it again. The reason I wouldn't do it on the context of a BG/BGII playthrough is partly that the epicness of SoD didn't flow well into the start of BGII imho, but also that I don't want the extra experience and levels at the start of BGII. If I ever played SoD again it would probably be in a standalone context. It's the reason I wish they'd done something smaller - the content is good quality, I just didn't like it as a bridge between BG/BGII.

I've never played Aliens: Colonial Marines but I know its a product not worthy of the name. I think me and purpleblob feel the same on this.

That comparison makes very little sense, but ok. :)

@Pongo; - Iirc, even if you do everything there is to in SoD, it results in your party being about 2 levels higher. It makes Irenicus' dungeon easier, but that was pretty easy anyways. It shouldn't have a big impact on the rest of the game.

Plus you could always use Gatekeeper to edit your savegame if you want. :)

Last edited:
@Pongo; - Iirc, even if you do everything there is to in SoD, it results in your party being about 2 levels higher. It makes Irenicus' dungeon easier, but that was pretty easy anyways. It shouldn't have a big impact on the rest of the game.

Plus you could always use Gatekeeper to edit your savegame if you want. :)

Yeah you're right - it's two levels for a fighter (level 10 if carried over from SoD vs level 8 from BG plus expansions or level 7 without expansions). The level boost felt fairly significant to me in early BGII but less and less so as you progress and becomes irrelevant after a while. I really like the early quests of BGII though and don't like feeling overpowered for them. It also affects the levels of the NPCs that join you - they are set to be about the same level you are when you meet them, and I prefer meeting them at lower levels so I have more of a say in choosing their proficiencies etc. But yeah you could always change this using the editor or just import a character from a pre-SoD save in BG etc. Or just live with it. :) As long as you're having fun it doesn't matter.

I already have the D&D games that are worth playing, so it's a pass for me. Instead I grabbed Warhammer Quest Deluxe, on sale. Hopefully it'll be worth the lunch money.

I was using EET with reduced XP, so it kept it right in terms of levels. Never had an issue there.

I'm currently enjoying Eberron.

This is still going on? I guess nothing else to talk about?

Back
Top Bottom