What games are you playing now?

JDR13, has it got any replay value? Also have you tried the Ruin and Survivor modes? what is your thought about them? I have found the game cheaply and wondering of buying but fear it is not as good as Guerilla.

Not really sure what replay value it has as you can pretty much unlock it all. just played it a few months back myself even though i had it six months or more. wasn't to excited about it after the departure from the great red faction:guerilla. not to many open world sci-fi games out there. this game is diffinately mostly all on rails but some levels are less tunneled than otheres. the magnet gun though alone is worth trying the game out though. i played survivor i think it was called for a day or so after completing the game. that was kind of fun too. if you liked guerilla i'd still suggest trying this game for cheap. if new to the series play guerilla. i actually played this because i had a much better time than anticipated with saints row 3, never could get into more than a few hours with 2. i like the developer but my all time favourite by the is without a doubt summoner which i would love to see them return to.

@SpoonFULL - I haven't tried the other modes in RF:A yet, but the single-player campaign alone is worth the price if you get it on sale like I did. It also happens to be on sale right now on Steam for $4.99. As mentioned, it's a fairly linear game, but I like the variety of enemies compared to the other RF games where you're just fighting human soldiers the entire time.

@Vurt - I just noticed that FTL is actually getting released tomorrow on Steam for $10. Based on what I've heard, I think I'll pick it up.

Currently playing Geneforge 1, which I got as part of a bundle from GoG. I've always been meaning to pick one of these up and try it, but this was too good a deal to pass.

So far it's been nothing spectacular but very enjoyable. Playing a Shaper right now, and mostly just letting my critters deal with whatever looks at me crosseyed.

GW2 and Torchlight2 until Saturday when someone gave me Borderlands2 for my birthday. Now I don't know what direction to go as I like all three.

GW2 and Torchlight2 until Saturday when someone gave me Borderlands2 for my birthday. Now I don't know what direction to go as I like all three.

Similar here - was replaying Spec Ops: The Line and starting to work seriously on Inquisitor and Tryst ... but then got Borderlands 2 and Torchlight II ... OVERLOAD! And with XCOM coming soon ...

Heh.. you guys want to talk about overload? September gave me Inquisitor, Faster Than Light, Black Mesa, and Torchlight 2. Plus Dungeon Lords MMXII which gets released tomorrow. I also purchased the latest Humble Indie Bundle.

So far I've spent most of my time between Black Mesa and FTL. Hoping to finish Black Mesa tonight so I can see how bad DLMMXII is in the morning. :)

Back to Ultima Underworld I, now that vacation is over, and am home. On level 6 now so I guess I have just a few more levels to go. Having fun exploring every nook and cranny and solving puzzles. My druid is level 14, and seems unstoppable, with the following stats/skills:

strength = 25
intelligence = 23
dexterity = 12

sword = 30
attack = 29
defense = 28
mana = 29
casting = 19
lore = 17
search = 6
acrobat = 6
swimming = 2
repair = 2

Back to Ultima Underworld I, now that vacation is over, and am home. On level 6 now so I guess I have just a few more levels to go. Having fun exploring every nook and cranny and solving puzzles. My druid is level 14, and seems unstoppable, with the following stats/skills:

strength = 25
intelligence = 23
dexterity = 12

sword = 30
attack = 29
defense = 28
mana = 29
casting = 19
lore = 17
search = 6
acrobat = 6
swimming = 2
repair = 2

Your druid sounds like a battlemage working undercover disguised as a hippie.

I keep starting up Geneforge 2 thinking 'I will need just one more session to finish it' but after one or two hours I end up stopping thinking the exact same thing. I assume that's because of the way mr Vogel seems to like throwing hordes of tough enemies at you in the end game locations that, by that time, end up being only annoying and time consuming without offering a real challenge. That was a lot more frustrating in the first game though and I generally feel that this one improved in pretty much every aspect on the original - except the setting and story which was slightly more appealing in the first one due to the mystery it had plus the fact that it offered a very solid reason of why the pc is the most powerful individual in the game.

————-

In the meantime I got distracted after buying two great games for my iPad in the last couple of days. One being the Last Express, which I have on pc but haven't finished yet. I expect that I will get through it now as I the iPad more comfortable these days plus I think I will appreciate some of the added aid it gives you since this game tends to get me a little stressed at times because I have to try and solve puzzles while constantly fighting the clock.

————

The other one is the King of Dragon Pass which I admit I have completely missed until now but I got very intrigued as soon as I found out about it. After reading all the reviews that pointed out how hard a game it is, I'm surprised to find that I seem to be doing ok.

I decided to focus to what tend to do best in such games: diplomacy, trading and, above all, (this game's equivalent to) 'research' (sacrificing to gods building shrines and the like) while otherwise playing purely defensively. Most of my neighbors seem to like me well enough, I get repeatedly raided by some horsemen but these raids end up being more profitable for me as, not only have I always managed to chase them off so far but I managed to capture a lot of horses from them which I can then sell for a decent profit. The only problem I'm having so far is that my farmers don't seem to be too happy (although not all that miserable either) but I think I will manage to cheer them up soon.

I don't mean to show too much confidence though. For example I fully expect that some more war-focused clan will start a campaign to annihilate me any time now. Do all these other clans evolve as the players? ie does this game have an ai that follows the same rules (like in Civilization for example)? I also don't seem to have found a way of getting detailed information about other's status on demand (as if by sending them spies or scouts) so that I can adapt my strategy accordingly (or maybe I haven't yet discovered all my options).

It's an incredible game. I just thought I'd try it out for a bit yesterday and after a while I started feeling I was getting a little tired of it, I thought that it might be that there wasn't as much to do as I originally thought but then I looked at the clock and realized that I've been playing for four hours!

Played about 20 mins of the Torchlight 2 Demo as an outlander. So far so good, sure purchase at 20 bucks, cant beat that. Love the art style!

I started playing Disciples II for a bit. Definitely addicting. It will eat all the time I have left for playing, which isn't much in the first place, so I'm not even sure I'll get to the finish, but either way, lots of fun!

Disciples games are fun if slightly repetitive. Later in the game I always try to take out the enemies capitals, with a
hero shooting paralysing arrows and a healer casting mass heal spells.

Finished Fallout Tactics last night, it was a solid squad-based tactical shooter - a reasonable continuation of the earlier games, at least in general atmosphere even though the RPG elements were sparse.

Now onto Fallout 3. Modlist is:

Fallout 3+all DLCs (GOTY edition)
Unofficial patch
Tommy's Error Fixes
Arwen's Realism Tweaks+Hardcore Mod (not Encumbrance, Med-Tec or One Life mods - they look to me like too much work micromanaging my PC)
Darnified UI
Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager
JordiK's Dialogue Tweaks
Delay DLC quests
Achievement Remover and Personal Achievement Log (I'm OK with achievements - but not via GFWL please)
Shadows and Dust volumes 1 and 2 by DonLemonade - spooky!
Treasure Maps 1-4 by Kevin - look like they add some fun to exploration. Also I might need a few goodies to offset the Hardcore mod

And that's it. I basically wanted a harder version of Vanilla F3 with a few extra tweaks. No graphics mods - I might consider them at a later date but I want to see what the original game looks like first. I did think about adding some quest mods but there doesn't seem to be a huge selection for F3.

And that's it. I basically wanted a harder version of Vanilla F3 with a few extra tweaks.

That's pretty much how I played FO3, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, it was one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years.

I used Arwen's XP reducer mod but not the realism tweaks. Does that include iron sights? If not, make sure to install a mod for that.

JDR13 said:
I used Arwen's XP reducer mod but not the realism tweaks. Does that include iron sights? If not, make sure to install a mod for that.

I'm not too fussed about iron sights. The "realism" (sic) tweaks are really about making the game harder by:

-XP reductions
-greater variation in player performance linked to attributes/skills (eg action points better related to agility)
-lower PC HP, higher HP and more intelligent adversaries
-lower attributes and skill levels for PC
-less abundant resources

It might feel like overkill once I leave the vault - I remember skavenhorde saying that playing with Arwen's mod was "insanely hard". I'm going with my favourite Fallout 1/2/Tactics character - a quick drawing gunslinger, with high perception, agility, intelligence and luck. Heh, I'll probably be dead in the first 5 minutes :)

After finished Torchlight 2, I'm back to Dragon Age: Origins. Still having a blast with it, it's a real reminder of just how badly they dropped the ball with the follow up game.

-Carn

OK - Arwen's realism tweaks was indeed overkill...no HP for levelling up is a bit too severe for a low EN character, and detracts from the feeling of progression.

I've replaced it with a smaller suite of hand picked balance mods:

Arwen's XP reducer - extreme version (still more generous than realism tweaks since you get more non-combat XP)
Normal damage to player in VATS (from Jay's "fast but dramatic VATs" mod - the "no God mode" VATS mod has been taken down)
Slower weapon degradation (new slower degradation by 3rdtryguy)
Less skill points by nick_op
Two esps from the Mantis Imperative mod - combat.esp (makes combat faster and harder, with fewer hitpoints) and medical.esp which balances stimpaks, injuries, food and barter/loot drops.

A friend convinced me to give a try to STO (star trek online) ten days ago.
First day I didn't like it at all. But I didn't let it go just so my friend doesn't get disappointed.

And now I'm playing it for 10 days in a row. It's not classic grinder, you don't have to PvP at all, story quests are separate from daily missions and random encounters you can "engage" or skip. There are also daily quests and hourly events with special bonuses.

The most obvious difference from classic grinders is that you're not attacked by something. Also missions (at least those I've seen) don't contain endless mobrespawns, space fights and ground fights spawn a predefined number of enemies (+1 for each player if you're not soloing but play co-op party/team with someone) once killed they're gone for good. I love it.

Also all missions that reward you with an item are repeatable. The catch is that the item you get as reward scales with your level. But also your enemies. So if you play a mission on level 5 you won't get a great/expensive/powerful item version as if you finish it on level 50.

It's FTP game but you'll probably opt to pay for more inventory (your own "pocket", the bank space and duty officers - now that's a special system I've seen nowhere else).

And I got hooked.

Back
Top Bottom