Skyrim Skyrim is perfect??

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

wolfen

Watchdog
Why couldn't Beth tweak the game towards more hardcore players?? Its silly how easy this game is due to the be all you wanna be aspect of their leveling system.They claim repeated playthrus but whats the point.I mean my weak archer wood elf who I put "ALL" level points into archery just hacks his way thru enemies when Dual wielding melee.See I envision wood elf clans as being frail beings but amazing archers that fight in teams and are highly efficient killers this way(live as a team and die as a team mindset).But take away the tribe and they suck since melee wise they are not strong enough to really tank.But in game my toon just destroys and it ruins it for me.So my first annoyance is the leveling when you use that skill.If your gonna add in the kool RPG aspect of leveling points and the decisions decisions feel why it destroy it with the…..oh yeah you can also easily level everything else by just using it. :( GET RID OF THE LEVEL UPON USE AND MAKE THE LEVELING POINTS MORE IMPORTANT TO MAKE CHARACTERS MORE UNIQUE AND MAKE YOUR CHOICES FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE MORE IMPACT DEVS….>:O

The horse control is atrocious.You have to dismount when you wanna speak to someone,no 1st person and just the overall feel of controlling the horses seems off.

Archery…..have the devs played Mount & Blade ever?? Why did they not include the AWESOME shrinking of the reticule as skill increases signaling a tighter more focused aim.Instead your told you do more damage as you level up.I mean Mount and Blade archery is a game in itself devs!!!!And why make the arrows hit harder and harder to ridiculous levels when a superb way would actually be to increase the aim potential of the toon and increase the speed of knocking arrows instead.

Melee is rather bland though better than their past efforts.Why couldn't they make system where you start out swinging slowly even if you mash the buttons.When you hold down both LM and RM you do this high speed dual wield attack that could of been saved for later in game when you become a master melee character.Then you can unleash that barage of attacks that looks like takes a ton of skill.Power strikes could of been made to be more and more powerful as you level up.And for that matter they could of made two skills to level…one being power attacks and the other being fast attack.Which one you put more points into then that skill becomes stronger.Be a jack of all trades fighter and be able to do decent overhead power strikes and also fast attacks or focus on one style over the other.You can then have toons that are super strong But do slow heavy ass swings that will decapitate upon impact overtime with points put into it or be a fighter that deals much less damage but does super fast strikes.Archers are bleh at melee and tanks are bleh at archery but both use the other skill to balance themselves out as in real life.Make enemy attacks vary where you fight slow heavy hitters and fast dex type fighters.

Many other things just irk me about Skyrim sadly.I will still play it but sadly once the really kool realism mods come out for a game I have lost interest in it by then.I mean look at the auto health regen….turn it off and add in that you only regen when you have eaten a full meal.So now you run around and MUST find food to eat to enable you to play……then remove the fracking silly amount of food everywhere.First time I saw a salmon I thought kool I can eat by catching fish BUT have you seen the amounts of fish.At one point there was 10 in front of me and I just plicked them all up in a matter of seconds.What they SHOULD of done is to make eating a job in itself……ever try to hunt a moose in Skyrim.;) You suck at hunting do yaaa….then buy off hunters or stores.

Darker nights and I mean very dark with elves having night vision and humans really having to sleep when it gets too late is another one for replays.Humans can use magic that runs out and makes for a pain to use but is doable.And could you imagine the immersion if the devs would of made caves etc not have candles glowing on every corner and actually be pitch black.

Why do the characters have to say stupid lines when trying to kill you.In real combat its all panic screams and loud yelling screaming to instill fear…not the tacky one liners that Beth games are full of.I hate to say it but nerds make nerdy games and they should get some tough peeps to handle ambiance. LOL sorry just have to rant my dissapointment in Skyrim….the "PERFECTGAME"/ :(

Finally make the game super hard to achieve really uber gear.You can do all sideqeusts to eventually get there or…..you can become a bad person and resort to stealing. ;(

Last edited:
I agree with your points and have had my grumble about melee combat elsewhere in the forum. Your ideas of modifying the scaling and reward for combat are very plausable. It is strange that for such a game that relies mostly on combat, the melee combat is totally unsatisfying and follows a worn out formula that we have seen many years ago in games liken Hexen. Yet less recognised games like Mount & Blade and Dark Messiah have a customisable and satisfying combat.

We all know the combat is mediocre compared to the world building. It ain't nowhere near perfect. But it's still a blast, for now, because of the world design. Thus the passion.

The game is more than the sum of its parts. It is flawed like all Bethesda games, but it is definitely a step forward from Oblivion, and is very fun to play . But you do make some valid points and I'm sure that some of them will be adressed by modders.

what a crybaby post, Wolfen. You need to change your name to something a little less tough after a snivel-fest like that :'(

It's fun but… Lemme add a few rants of my own…

1. I hate repeatable quests system where you can't know a quest is repeatable from the start. But ok, leave it there but then allow us to cancel the goddamned annoyance!

2. Can't understand the sidekick AI + engine + interiors design. For god's sake why my sidekick MUST block the door all the time? Is it really hard to make some engine process that will prevent sidekicks from staying inside door areas?

3. Oh speaking of sidekicks… Again and again they adore to step on floor traps I've just avoided. Are they blind? In every game? At least in some games I can disable traps.

4. I'm aware the game is huge and it's not possible to test every quest… But two quests bugged in the same area (Solitude - pick an item on the ship is one and return Talos necklace is the second), c'mon, don't tell me there wasn't some payed betatesting going on there. Sadly, those are not the only bugged quests I've found.

5. What's with the text in the game? While climbing to Graybeards, everyone warned me on wolves on the road. How many I've seen of those there? None. Zero. But there was a cavebear, ice troll and ice wraith on the way up. Noone bothered to tell me about those!

6. Look, I really admire Robert Picardo, but why on Earth every second person in the game has a variation of his voice? What, they didn't have enough money to pay some more actors? Sheesh…

7. Ok, mobs get harder as your level does. However… Why noncombat skills like lockpicking and speech, also make mobs to get harder? I know, by lockpicking you get super items (my arse) from chests and with speech you also get whatever which means mobs should go harder. Dear lord…

8. Last but not least, I've already said that Skyrim, if you don't have a console controller, has the worst UI I've ever seen in a PC game. What I've also said is that killing a dragon with that cretinous UI is overcomplicated, but ok, it's managable with your sidekick and atronach/zombie. However, what idiot in Bethesda made the game to spawn dragons endlessly at Mage's Guild? So far I've killed 9 dragons, 6 of which appeared from nowhere at the same spot when I went there - guess which guild! When I took 2 down I was happy because the area is nice to make killing the dragon easier than some open spaces and I got those dragon souls relatively easy… But now I'm not going to that guild (although I'm archmage) because I don't want to kill yet another randomly spawned dragon for no reason! It became boring and annoying as hell!

A good game it is. Definetly. Perfect? Absolutely not. Can't believe I've trusted those 10/10 scores… This is 8/10, maybe even lower on PC because of the rediculous UI.

If I was a reviewer there are probably many games that especially in my enthusiasm of youth I would have rated 10/10. Like Pool of Radience (the original!) or BG2. Even at the time I knew they weren't perfect but WOW were they good! It is usually only after playing them a couple times over the course of (frankly) a few years that you can truly see some of the deep flaws in your old favorites.

So does 10/10 really mean it is perfect or just the best game the reviewer played in a while? Obviously with technical advancements there will never be a perfect game because you could always re-do a game with more powerful hardware and improve on something (resolution or whatever) in it.

There's objectivity, and there's feeling. Skyrim has gotten me emotionally hooked as much as any other game I've played. But I step back, and I see lots of flaws that can be supported by facts.

I am agreeing with the most points made, trough I have not encountered yet a trap in game that I was not able to disable,counting from basic ones to more deadlier and magical signs ones.

I have to agree on some points even though I'm having a blast. My problem is my silly dog keeps blocking me in doorways and dungeons. Lydia so far has been ok but she did wander into a trap in a dungeon and I had veered way off to the side

Trust me I am having fun also,its really good at times.I am climbing up to Bleaks Hall Barrows for second time and the view is amazingly magnificent and its even more atmospheric this time.I think cause this time I am leveling a huge Nord and my brain believes what is going on.What I mean is I am badass with my warhammer two shotting enemies and yet I broke 20 lockpicks failing to open a chest and my archery sucks.Still love the feel of archery as a long distance attack till enemies get in your face.

I modded in that you need to aim high with distance for archery and its a little better but M&B system would just be sweet here.

Again regen only with a meal in you that last for say 6 hours would make it a little more real IMO.Maybe make it a real meal and since there is so many ingredients everywhere its no problem.No regen during combat with bare food either,I ate 25 cabbages to get enough health to finish off an enemy.I know its made gamey so that the flow keeps going but a hardcore version(real and not that placebo the FNV had)would be much appreciated.

And everything comes very easy at even level one.I did first quest and found a magical warhammer in an unlocked chest that just desecrates enemies.I understand many people love to have tons of magical weapons but for me just a few thruout the whole game makes them special.You grow attached to them that way.I still remember when I found a bow that never needed arrows as they magically appeared.I forget the game but that feeling was excellent and I never got that from any game since.It was a super rare weapon and it felt it and I cherished it!!But alas I do understand its a super huge game and what is there to urge exploration but new stuff.

And again I do not understand why not one game has made black dungeons???

Why couldn't Beth tweak the game towards more hardcore players?? Its silly how easy this game is due to the be all you wanna be aspect of their leveling system.They claim repeated playthrus but whats the point.I mean my weak archer wood elf who I put "ALL" level points into archery just hacks his way thru enemies when Dual wielding melee.See I envision wood elf clans as being frail beings but amazing archers that fight in teams and are highly efficient killers this way(live as a team and die as a team mindset).But take away the tribe and they suck since melee wise they are not strong enough to really tank.But in game my toon just destroys and it ruins it for me.So my first annoyance is the leveling when you use that skill.If your gonna add in the kool RPG aspect of leveling points and the decisions decisions feel why it destroy it with the…..oh yeah you can also easily level everything else by just using it. :( GET RID OF THE LEVEL UPON USE AND MAKE THE LEVELING POINTS MORE IMPORTANT TO MAKE CHARACTERS MORE UNIQUE AND MAKE YOUR CHOICES FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE MORE IMPACT DEVS….>:O

The horse control is atrocious.You have to dismount when you wanna speak to someone,no 1st person and just the overall feel of controlling the horses seems off.

Archery…..have the devs played Mount & Blade ever?? Why did they not include the AWESOME shrinking of the reticule as skill increases signaling a tighter more focused aim.Instead your told you do more damage as you level up.I mean Mount and Blade archery is a game in itself devs!!!!And why make the arrows hit harder and harder to ridiculous levels when a superb way would actually be to increase the aim potential of the toon and increase the speed of knocking arrows instead.

Melee is rather bland though better than their past efforts.Why couldn't they make system where you start out swinging slowly even if you mash the buttons.When you hold down both LM and RM you do this high speed dual wield attack that could of been saved for later in game when you become a master melee character.Then you can unleash that barage of attacks that looks like takes a ton of skill.Power strikes could of been made to be more and more powerful as you level up.And for that matter they could of made two skills to level…one being power attacks and the other being fast attack.Which one you put more points into then that skill becomes stronger.Be a jack of all trades fighter and be able to do decent overhead power strikes and also fast attacks or focus on one style over the other.You can then have toons that are super strong But do slow heavy ass swings that will decapitate upon impact overtime with points put into it or be a fighter that deals much less damage but does super fast strikes.Archers are bleh at melee and tanks are bleh at archery but both use the other skill to balance themselves out as in real life.Make enemy attacks vary where you fight slow heavy hitters and fast dex type fighters.

Many other things just irk me about Skyrim sadly.I will still play it but sadly once the really kool realism mods come out for a game I have lost interest in it by then.I mean look at the auto health regen….turn it off and add in that you only regen when you have eaten a full meal.So now you run around and MUST find food to eat to enable you to play……then remove the fracking silly amount of food everywhere.First time I saw a salmon I thought kool I can eat by catching fish BUT have you seen the amounts of fish.At one point there was 10 in front of me and I just plicked them all up in a matter of seconds.What they SHOULD of done is to make eating a job in itself……ever try to hunt a moose in Skyrim.;) You suck at hunting do yaaa….then buy off hunters or stores.

Darker nights and I mean very dark with elves having night vision and humans really having to sleep when it gets too late is another one for replays.Humans can use magic that runs out and makes for a pain to use but is doable.And could you imagine the immersion if the devs would of made caves etc not have candles glowing on every corner and actually be pitch black.

Why do the characters have to say stupid lines when trying to kill you.In real combat its all panic screams and loud yelling screaming to instill fear…not the tacky one liners that Beth games are full of.I hate to say it but nerds make nerdy games and they should get some tough peeps to handle ambiance. LOL sorry just have to rant my dissapointment in Skyrim….the "PERFECTGAME"/ :(

Finally make the game super hard to achieve really uber gear.You can do all sideqeusts to eventually get there or…..you can become a bad person and resort to stealing. ;(

Looks like you have all the answers. I will be looking forward to your mod.:)

Looks like you have all the answers. I will be looking forward to your mod.:)

Jeeeez,that was my point.Why can't games come out already like this for the people that enjoy a bit more realism in games of dragons and magic.Its not like I am asking for the world here.Remove Regen unless fed.Make leveling only by what you get on level screen and make the game somewhat harder,not by harder mobs but just a harder to get ahead feel in game by use of things like low loot,stores that only buy rare items etc.Great reason to become a thief though its too easy to do right now and the 40 gold is nothing when caught.

Pretty much everything you want will be given through mods sooner or later. Just try to enjoy the first round and then mod the hell out of it in the second playthrough.

Thanks Skavenhorde,its still a good game so I will have fun. :)

Let me rephrase that,its a great game at what it does well.I am exploring down south by Falkreath and all I can say is the designer of that area hit the mark.Feels so crowded with stuff yet it looks so real that its making me miss going camping.

Jeeeez,that was my point.Why can't games come out already like this for the people that enjoy a bit more realism in games of dragons and magic.Its not like I am asking for the world here.Remove Regen unless fed.Make leveling only by what you get on level screen and make the game somewhat harder,not by harder mobs but just a harder to get ahead feel in game by use of things like low loot,stores that only buy rare items etc.Great reason to become a thief though its too easy to do right now and the 40 gold is nothing when caught.

games aren't coming out like that because it's not what the majority of people want. That's your idea of a great game. if 100 people were asked to start this thread you'd get 100 different combinations of what would make skyrim great. Like me i'd want it to be based on d&d, be party based and pausable or turn based. So at least your idea's are much closer to being reality than mine ever would be.

I agree combat needs to be better, leveling slower and uber items much less available.

I've played games that require you to eat. realistic, yes. Fun, no. it starts out fun then a while in I think i don't want to eat I'd rather finish this quest. i've read that 3 min=1 hour in skyrim. So you'd have to stop, make a meal and eat every 18 mi. (to eat every 6 hours as you said)Then if your human you'd also have to find a place to sleep roughly every hour. Now if you get rid of all the food and you have to hunt or buy your food then you'll have to spend a good chunk of your 18 min. getting food. that doesn't sound like something I want to do in a game that could last 2-300 hours. I guess you could adjust how gametime work to make it less of a hassle but It still doesn't sound fun.

as far as totally dark dungeons, how would that work. If you don't use magic then you have to carry a torch. That means no bow's, shields, 2 handed weapons or dual wielding in dungeons and there goes stealth. If your a mage then you have to always keep switching to the light spell as it will expire. In my time in skrim i'd say half has been under ground. I don't want those kind of restrictions for half my gameplay. I suppose you could make light spells last longer or have long lasting night vision potions, but at that point why have totally dark dungeons. It's just one more level of tedium and dev's know that.

I can understand wanting games to be more complex and would agree with you on that. But while realism sounds great in theory it doesn't always translate to fun. At least not for me.

I understand about some points made, but currently I just enjoy the world, the freedom, the complexity of the whole game.
BTW is it just me? Visiting all those beautyful towns I always think, the games beginning with the dragon and first dungeon is not an optimal start (visually), it's getting much better and better.

Back
Top Bottom